The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Allvin & Rutherford Press Summary

Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

10 minutes ago, gurn said:

For the same reason people talk about the team having to rebuild if Miller gets traded.

Hyperbole.

its not hyperbole just because you may not like an opinion tho. The type return on Miller has a big impact on the team, there's a number of ways it could go. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I have no issues with this management group, however they didn't do anything significant at the deadline and we're hearing some of the same old rhetoric from them........"give them a chance to make the playoffs...........we like the group we have" etc etc.  The status quo is going nowhere and if they don't make significant changes, the team is going nowhere

not sure it was rhetoric, they did want to give the team a chance. We also don't know what the offers were for our players, so you're judging it without all the info. 

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

they have to come back on reasonable deals otherwise "plan b".

What is Plan B?  That's what I'm most curious about, and what they're actually offering those guys.

My guess is they want Miller on a shorter-term deal at a reasonable $, and then he'll have to decide. I think Miller wants to play here, for Bruce, so we'll see. 

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

It sounds like they intend to re-sign Brock with term.  Can't say the same for Miller, he'll be 30 when a new contract would kick in. Do they want to commit $50-60 to an older veteran?  I can't see it, not if they want to get younger and build up the prospects like they said.  It's good to have veterans on the roster, but not any they're paying $8+ to for the next hundred years.

I get the feeling JR/PA will do what they want, to improve the team. Some of the moves won't be popular, but this isn't a popularity contest. They want to win a Cup here, this is how they're doing it. Let's enjoy the ride. 

Same ol'.  Every Prez, GM, coach, etc wants the same thing.  So far they have done nothing, so I

will wait to see what our team looks like in Oct.  Their actions will speak louder than their words.

• Vintage 3

14 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Or maybe the back up isn't (that good) as well? Factor that in too.

i honestly don't see halak being as bad as everyone out there makes him out to be.. in his first 10 starts the canucks scored more than 2 goals twice.. in those 10 starts he had 2 games over .928 and 1 game .971 svv% and everyone of those game is still a lost. 

halak started a total of 14 games. in 7 of the 14 games he started he has a sv % of over .928 or higher and the canucks only won 4 of those 7 games. and he has 4 average game and 3 really bad ones.. really the game that he tanked really bad was against the islander and new jersey.. in his first 5 starts the canucks really should have won at least 2 or 3 of them but their offense was so terrible under green.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

What is Plan B?  That's what I'm most curious about, and what they're actually offering those guys.

My guess is they want Miller on a shorter-term deal at a reasonable $, and then he'll have to decide. I think Miller wants to play here, for Bruce, so we'll see. 

Hard to know, whatever the market is at the time like always I guess. I would hope an actual hockey trade, vs. picks and prospects but teams don't tend to move their #1RHD's. 

My hope is that we do retain Miller, and I like that JR has put out a line in sand of sorts with it having to be reasonable. We can't do some 9 mil x 8 years thing. But something in the 7's? now that gets interesting. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I have no issues with this management group, however they didn't do anything significant at the deadline and we're hearing some of the same old rhetoric from them........"give them a chance to make the playoffs...........we like the group we have" etc etc.  The status quo is going nowhere and if they don't make significant changes, the team is going nowhere

People will say prove it - and there is no way to do that - but I truly believe this was the message from ownership.  It was the same message that was given to JB and it was likely the same message given to JR - if we're close go for the playoffs.

Now that we've missed PO yet again, I honestly hope that ownership will give JR/Allvin carte blanche to do as they see fit this off-season.  The type of weight that Rutherford carries in the hockey world - it's hard to imagine him coming here without the understanding that when he takes over, it's his way with no conditions. 

I believe that when JR came here he was asked by ownership to make one more go at it with this group, and if that didn't happen make the necessary changes as you see fit with your team.  We'll be able to tell if that was the message or not pretty quickly on or around the draft. 

11 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I don't see that happening much, could you point out a specific example?

Agent and JM have been going at each other over this in multiple threads.

One thinks Miller gone means rebuild/step back; the other figures the team will carry on.

Normal fan stuff.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Agent and JM have been going at each other over this in multiple threads.

One thinks Miller gone means rebuild/step back; the other figures the team will carry on.

Normal fan stuff.

Step back does not = "rebuild" (but I haven't seen that conversation so)

The team WILL carry on but if we learned anything about ripping out key players from the room, it's that it can be a big setback. This team probably needs the dust to settle a bit after a crazy couple of years through COVID and changes. Carrying on isn't the goal though, is it? Isn't it to improve?

It is all normal fan stuff...on both sides. Opinions, that's all we've all got.

There are not guarantees either way...if JT stays or goes. He may decline and be a huge anchor (or not). We may get a huge deal that improves the team long term (or not). It's all a roll of the dice. But what we do know is what the team has showed us, both good and bad. That's where the different opinions come in..some feel it's trending the right way, others feel it's not.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sounds like management knows what they want to spend out Players and Coaches and have a plan, and have also stated they are frustrated how some of these contracts will be hard to move while keeping a plan

Be interesting if they are willing to compromise on their plan, because of cap has to be structured (just like expectations on ice)

As an example say Miller wanted 8 yr term and they wanted 6 max (as JR was giving as an example expecting the 1st 3 yrs great) would he be willing to go to 7 yrs and have  no trade clause on final 3 yrs removed?

Edited by ba;;isticsports

I like the general air of professionalism ... and infrastructure plan. 

And not one 'Y'know' throughout.

Keeping Fransesco's meddling fingers busy installing things like new toilets everywhere might prove to be a masterstroke in itself.

Canuckluck .... Putin kidnaps Podz and any deal for his release includes a multi-year contract for Impaler Vlad to replace Brock on RW.

It might work if the contract also includes his huge mass-murdering thug-mate from Belarus as a crease-clearer.

Almost as far-fetched as paying Brock a $60 million Harmonic-style contract where he only turns up when its suits his personal schedule.

Another moody camp spectacle like the last, can't possibly happen again can it?

Just might if BB is hired down in Vegas.

6 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Step back does not = "rebuild" (but I haven't seen that conversation so)

The team WILL carry on but if we learned anything about ripping out key players from the room, it's that it can be a big setback. This team probably needs the dust to settle a bit after a crazy couple of years through COVID and changes. Carrying on isn't the goal though, is it? Isn't it to improve?

my concern was/is seeing some of the trade ideas for Miller were a combo of picks + prospects. What worries me in that scenario is how risky picks are, and how often prospects often don't work out. Add to that, losing your top producing C and to me at least that looks like a team willing to rebuild for 2-4 years. 

I also think many of the trade ideas were not realistic (e.g., Schnieider, a 1st, a roster C). 

Edited by JM_
  • Thanks 1

I have been fairly reserved in my opinion of the new management, but I have to say I’ve loved what I’ve heard from Rutherford in the past few days. And are there any doubts at all that he’s the de facto GM? Not in my opinion. Just speaks with an authority that Allvin cannot muster. Also, I can respect the fact that they are putting Boudreau under some scrutiny, looking deeply into his coach strategy, and not being influenced by the popularity that Bruce has gained from both the media and Joe six-pack watching the games from his sofa. The frankness that JR spoke with concerning some of the Canucks strategic systems was almost shocking….but refreshing at the same time.

As far as the Miller situation, I think its going to come down to this….does JT want to stay here enough that he’ll take less than he’d be worth on the open market? Perhaps considerably less? If not, I think he’s gone. It would hurt to see him leave, but if the haul coming back is good I’ll be ok with it. It is nice to have a guy in charge who can make tough decisions like this. My confidence in this new management team has grown….though that is more due to Rutherford than Allvin….the latter of which i don’t have much of a read on.

• Cheers 3

Is Hoglander a part of the young core moving forward?  I know a lot of Canucks fans really like him, but he's also a mistake machine and tries to do too much, needs work defensively. But he does create some offence.

I think Boudreau made comments early in his tenure about how some of the young prospects were brought in too soon, should've developed more. Maybe he was referring to Rathbone, but also Hoglander?

Could Hoglander be used as a trade piece to ship out Dickinson or Myers?

15 hours ago, lmm said:

this is a funny place

on one hand people are happy that Franco let the management do their job

and on the other hand 

fans want to kept up to date on management's plan

isn't that like asking the chess master for a diagram of how he is going to win his next tournament?

"

Hey guys, how you gonna fix it?"

"Well we are going to try to keep Poolman's headaches under wraps until after we trade him, we are also going to be hush hush about Suttsy's long covid, then we are going to try to fleece Ottawa again and see if we can traded them Dickieboy for Batherson, if we have to we might put out a hit squad on any living player that we are stuck paying who is not still on our roster, and maybe some who are... but these are all secrets, so don't tell anyone" 

They are not like Benning who blundered his way through responses and either didn't make sense or simply exposed their plans, but they were quite coy and the media asked some really fluffy questions (most dealing with getting a backup??)..... would have been good to make it a clear goal this offseason is get younger, faster, and build the D core. 

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Halford and Brough  "Podkolzin got one in the A last night..., but probably a better way to put that." - referring to Podz' goal with Abby. :lol:

Lol, just listened to that. ::D

As for Abby, they were thoroughly outclassed last night. They need to be much better tonight or its all over.

1 minute ago, Locke Lamora said:

Lol, just listened to that. ::D

As for Abby, they were thoroughly outclassed last night. They need to be much better tonight or its all over.

Yeah, too bad they lost, but close game. They'll get 'em next time.  Bloody Oilers farm team.

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Will reach out to Miller and Horvat's agents to talk about extensions

Doesn't sound like he's into moving Miller or Horvat does it? 

Kinda a given he is going to reach out to Horvat and Millers agent to see if they can get a reasonable extension done. He probably knows what Millers trade value is now and will compare that to the value of keeping him at the number the agent gives, then decision time. If we move Miller is should be in offseason.  

24 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Is Hoglander a part of the young core moving forward?  I know a lot of Canucks fans really like him, but he's also a mistake machine and tries to do too much, needs work defensively. But he does create some offence.

I think Boudreau made comments early in his tenure about how some of the young prospects were brought in too soon, should've developed more. Maybe he was referring to Rathbone, but also Hoglander?

Could Hoglander be used as a trade piece to ship out Dickinson or Myers?

No point adding him to get rid of Dickinson.  Maybe Myers if it leads to rebuilding the defense in a way that better supports Hughes and OEL.

In general though I think we would be selling low on Hoglander.  I think he likely improves and has more value or simply sticks with the team.