The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Portable Air Conditioners - Junk or Effective?

Angry Goose

On 5/11/2022 at 9:58 AM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Also one should note, don't fall for the sales pitch from those peddling "swamp coolers":

swamp coolers are next to useless in most of BC, its not dry enough nor hot enough. Osoyoos maybe. 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Has anyone checked the long term temperatures for Vancouver?  The highest I saw was 79 degrees fahrenheit for this summer.  We're not getting 90+ degrees fahrenheit this summer.  

Sounds about right. We're already in the middle of May and have had like what? 3 or 4 nice days? lol

So lame.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

You can’t take out half the sentence and entire paragraph, then pull this.  
Shut up

Old dead people are never funny.

Quote the whole paragraph, if you want, it makes no difference.

• Like 1

Just now, gurn said:

Old dead people are never funny.

Quote the whole paragraph, if you want, it makes no difference.

If you haven’t been affected by the last couple of crazy years and haven’t been able to develop at least a little sense of humour about it all, you are the not funny one. 

• Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Sounds about right. We're already in the middle of May and have had like what? 3 or 4 nice days? lol

So lame.

We aren't even going to hit 70 degrees fahrenheit until mid June apparently.  79 degrees will be in late July.  It's going to be a typical average Vancouver summer this year.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We aren't even going to hit 70 degrees fahrenheit until mid June apparently.  79 degrees will be in late July.  It's going to be a typical average Vancouver summer this year.

Oh I hope thats the case.

Some  farmers almanac type articles are saying it going to be hot again. 

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It looks like it’s going to be an average summer in Vancouver…

https://world-weather.info/forecast/canada/vancouver/june-2022/

Good stuff.

Crazy how many google articles come up with 'blistering hot summer ahead' when you search for 'weather forecast bc summer'.

All those article seem to be citing the Old farmers almanac though...

So, I don't buy the AC units now?
I mean, I'll blame you.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Good stuff.

Crazy how many google articles come up with 'blistering hot summer ahead' when you search for 'weather forecast bc summer'.

All those article seem to be citing the Old farmers almanac though...

So, I don't buy the AC units now?
I mean, I'll blame you.

Haha. Well Petey already has AC in his $3 million condo so I wouldn’t trust my opinion completely if I were you…  -_-

• Haha 1

On 5/10/2022 at 1:19 PM, Angry Goose said:

Hey folks,

So with last year’s heat dome I want to get ready just in case it happens again. Our animals did not enjoy it one bit (wife and I got a hotel w/ AC for a couple of nights just to keep them cool).  

We live in a 700 sq ft condo that has two levels.  The game plan is to keep the bedroom cool on the 2nd level. Unfortunately our bedroom window is crank style so Im not sure if a window style AC unit would work-and Im paranoid of that thing dropping a couple of levels.  

What are people’s experience w/ portable AC units? Junk?  If effective, anything you’d recommend?

Thanks in advance. 

Sorry to hear about your animals.

I feel like it's (ac) not worth it. They are rarely required but having said that I enjoy the heat. Anything under 40 is mild.

Edited by Chris12345

Already good answers in this thread.

One good thing about portable units is that they’re, um… portable.

I packed ours to the beach house we rented in Comox last summer, while on vacation during the height of the heat wave.

Best decision ever.

It was a beautiful little house on Kye Bay, but it had no AC, and would have been nearly impossible to sleep (especially with young kids) without air conditioning.

(We have a couple little Haier units, I think the 9000 BTU ones, and they actually work great, but they’re really best suited for a single room, like a bedroom. I got them on sale a few years back for maybe a couple hundred bucks each. My kids have bedrooms on the top floor of our home and it’s a total heat box up there during the summer, so they each get a personal air conditioner.)

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME