The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Iain Hunt arrested at his home in Port Moody for the murder of his wife Trina Hunt

https://globalnews.ca/news/8893390/man-arrested-death-port-moody-trina-hunt/

Man arrested in connection with homicide of Port Moody, B.C.’s Trina Hunt

A man has been arrested in connection with the death of Port Moody, B.C.’s Trina Hunt, the RCMP’s Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has confirmed.

No charges have been laid, IHIT wrote in an emailed statement, and as such, it will not reveal the man’s identity.

“This is an ongoing investigation and no further details can be provided,” said Sgt. David Lee on Friday.

Hunt was 48 years old when she was reported missing by her husband Iain on Jan. 18, 2021, who said he’d seen her that morning before he left for work.

Her remains were found by a member of the public south of Silver Creek in Hope on March 29, 2021, after an extensive search by official crews and community volunteers.

Global News has reached out to Hunt’s family for comment on this story.

Hunt was last seen on surveillance footage four days before she was reported missing. The family has raised questions about the last text messages sent from her phone in the days before she disappeared.

On Jan. 15, 2021, Hunt was texting with a friend from Ontario. They talked about setting up a “virtual cocktail” over the weekend, her cousin-in-law, Stephanie Ibbott, told Global News last May.

On Jan. 16, Hunt received a text from a former co-worker but did not reply. The next day, a response was sent to the former colleague that read, “Delayed response because I’m trying a ‘digital detox’ this weekend. Haven’t touched the phone all weekend.”

On Jan. 18, Hunt’s husband reported her missing.

“I think it’s possible that it wasn’t her (texting),” Ibbott told Global News at the time, adding that during a family meeting, Iain had told them about the digital detox.

Her husband had told the family they were visiting a campground in Hope the weekend of Jan. 15, 2021, and during the detox, Hunt couldn’t be reached by phone.

In June 2021, RCMP executed search warrants at Hunt’s home in Port Moody and Iain’s parents’ home in Mission, but did not make any arrests.

That month, Hunt’s family made an impassioned appeal for information in her case, offering a $50,000 reward for tips leading to an arrest and charges.

Ibbott has described her as a “bubbly, bright, welcoming, caring, thoughtful, passionate, generous and loyal” person.

The investigation into Hunt’s case is ongoing and anyone with information is urged to call IHIT at 1-877-551-4448.

• Thanks 1

https://vancouversun.com/news/crime/arrest-made-in-killing-of-port-moodys-trina-hunt-ihit

Arrest made in killing of Port Moody's Trina Hunt: IHIT

Hunt’s body was found March 29 in an area south of Silver Creek in Hope

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team confirmed an arrest has been made in the murder of Port Moody’s Trina Hunt.

“No charges have been laid at this time. As such, the name of the man cannot be released,” said IHIT’s Sgt. David Lee on Friday. “This is an ongoing investigation and no further details can be provided.”

Hunt, 48, was last seen at her Heritage Woods home in January. She was reported missing by her husband on Jan. 18, 2021. He last saw her at around 6 a.m. at their home as he was leaving for work, according to Port Moody police. When he returned home she was gone, and friends believe she may have gone for a walk.

Her remains were discovered in Hope on March 29, 2021, south of Silver Creek.

In an email, Lee said the arrest was at a home in Port Moody.

“Even though an arrest has been made, if there are persons with information, please contact IHIT. An arrest does not indicate the end of this investigation,” he said.

Anyone with info is asked to contact the IHIT information line at 1-877-551-IHIT (4448) or by email to ihitinfo@rcmp-grc.gc.ca. Those who want to remain anonymous can call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

In a statement on a Facebook page set up to search for Hunt last year, her family announced with “shattered hearts” that the search had come to a tragic end with the discovery of her remains last March.

“We ask that you please respect our privacy while we seek answers and clarity during this difficult time. We are forever grateful for your love through all of this,” the statement said.

“This community of friends, family and strangers (who now feel like friends) has been there to support us in finding Trina each step of the way. Your words, thoughts, kindness and outpouring of love are truly what has kept us going these past 3 1/2 months. We need your love and support more than ever right now. Thank you.”

Her family has offered a $50,000 reward for information that leads to an arrest and charges.

In June last year, IHIT searched two homes as part of the probe into her death. Police cordoned off and searched Hunt’s home in Port Moody, along with a residence in Mission that belongs to the parents of Hunt’s husband, Iain.

• Thanks 1

I can't believe this thread is so quiet.  The whole story is so insanely obvious.  The husband took her to Hope, checking out an old camp ground. 

Then killed her and left her.

He says they were on a digital detox.

This is home for us, be it forum Canucks, the lower mainland, or BC.

Trina deserves this conversation.  She deserves our community.  If half of us paid as much attention to this as we do to other topics, we would be better off.

We can't change what happened, but maybe we could change something for someone else.  

• Huggy Bear 2

https://globalnews.ca/news/8900172/man-arrested-trina-hunt-death-released-port-moody-bc/

Devastating’: Man arrested in connection with Trina Hunt killing released without charges

The man arrested in connection with the killing of Trina Hunt has been released without charges, creating “false hope” according to her grieving family.

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has not yet revealed the identity of the man taken into custody outside Hunt’s home in Port Moody, B.C., on Friday, but confirmed that he’d been released.

“There isn’t much I can say at this point as it could jeopardize the integrity of the ongoing investigation,” said IHIT’s Sgt. David Lee in an interview on Monday.

The arrest and release “does not signify the end of the investigation,” Lee added, but was part of the investigative process. It doesn’t mean charges won’t be laid, he said, “just that we aren’t there yet.”

Hunt was 48 years old when she was reported missing on Jan. 18, 2021, by her husband Iain, who said he had seen her that morning before he left for work.

Her remains were found by a member of the public south of Silver Creek in Hope, B.C., on March 29, 2021, after an extensive search by official crews and community volunteers.

Hunt’s cousin-in-law said the past weekend has come with a “whirlwind” of emotions for the family.

“First we were processing news of an arrest … now we’re processing the news that no charges have been laid as a result of that arrest,” Stephanie Ibbott told Global News.

“It’s devastating. It’s just beyond comprehension how we could have gotten to this point and then nothing. It was just a lot of false hope.”

Hunt would have turned 50 on Monday. Balloons were seen outside her home that afternoon.

Ibbott, who speaks for the family, said she had hoped police would reveal first- or second-degree murder charges on Monday, adding, “please let it not be manslaughter.”

“I never thought for a minute it would just be no charges. I just can’t comprehend it.”

Police told Hunt’s family in advance that the man arrested on Friday had been released, she said, and they shared no information beyond that because of “privacy.”

She said she appreciates the amount of work IHIT has put into the investigation, and doesn’t believe the team would have “made such a public spectacle” on Friday without a reason.

“I think that’s what’s helping me cope with this news … I think it’s a warning to anyone involved that they’re not giving up and they’re coming for you.”

Friday’s arrest had renewed an outpouring of support for Hunt’s family, with some in the neighbourhood placing flowers and signs outside her home.

The community support has helped kept the family going, said Ibbott.

“Nobody is letting her light fade and that is so important. Additionally, it helps remind the people responsible that no one is going to forget what you’ve done.”

Hunt’s cousins have described her as a “bubbly, bright, welcoming, caring, thoughtful, passionate, generous and loyal” person. The investigation into her case is ongoing and anyone with information can call IHIT at 1-877-551-4448.

I think they tried to shake him out and probably got some new information from him.  Also, he now knows that they are still after him and basically he has to watch his every move.  He will be on pins and needles now with everything he does.

I think they will ultimately charge him with 1st degree murder.  It might take another few months though before Crown Counsel is comfortable moving forward with charges.

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think they tried to shake him out and probably got some new information from him.  Also, he now knows that they are still after him and basically he has to watch his every move.  He will be on pins and needles now with everything he does.

I think they will ultimately charge him with 1st degree murder.  It might take another few months though before Crown Counsel is comfortable moving forward with charges.

unless he was smart enough to sit there with his mouth shut. 

Sorry to throw a wet blanket on it, but the police are trying a bit of a desperation move here. 

38 minutes ago, JM_ said:

unless he was smart enough to sit there with his mouth shut. 

Sorry to throw a wet blanket on it, but the police are trying a bit of a desperation move here. 

Could be.  That’s maybe why they released him on Saturday.  It is a tactic though, not sure what they had planned.  I’m assuming they planned that he wouldn’t talk, so there must be another move here that we don’t know about yet.  All it takes is one slip up.  They know he did it, it’s just a matter of proving it and getting Crown Counsel to approve charges.  Crown Counsel probably doesn’t feel comfortable moving forward with charges at this time, as they want to make sure they have a strong case as it’s a 1st degree murder charge.

My hunch is they got one piece of info they needed and now are looking at how that fits into the equation. 

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Could be.  That’s maybe why they released him on Saturday.  It is a tactic though, not sure what they had planned.  I’m assuming they planned that he wouldn’t talk, so there must be another move here that we don’t know about yet.  All it takes is one slip up.  They know he did it, it’s just a matter of proving it and getting Crown Counsel to approve charges.  Crown Counsel probably doesn’t feel comfortable moving forward with charges at this time, as they want to make sure they have a strong case as it’s a 1st degree murder charge.

My hunch is they got one piece of info they needed and now are looking at how that fits into the equation. 

statistically it likely was him, thats what they have, plus the weird camping story. DNA, fingerprints, etc. would be useless. 

Everyone has watch enough TV crime dramas to know only dummies spill the beans under questioning by the cops.  Smart crooks clam up and ask for a lawyer.

Gone are the days when cops get a confession by using a rubber hose.

• Upvote 1

It seemed highly likely to me that it was him from the beginning, but after over a year to show up at the home,  arrest him and take him in knowing it would be front page news  to release him and not charge him does smack of desperation and a possible publicity stunt timed for her 50th birthday.

It's painful to watch from the outside and I can't imagine what family and friends are going through.

On 6/7/2022 at 11:28 AM, Mustard Tiger said:

Can sure tell who watches all the Netflix crime dramas haha

my next door neighbour growing up was the staff sergeant of the local police dept. One of the first things he told us as teens was if we were ever in trouble to never say a word.