The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Andrei Kuzmenko

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

So, just everyone remember, KHL only plays a 60 game season and their travel load is nothing compared to the NHL.

Everything I've seen of this kid is that he has NHL level talent, IQ and hands. He's likely going to struggle with the length of season, same as many players do their first year. They start to hit the wall after Xmas.

Looking forward to seeing how he does!

Agree we should temper our expectations but don't forget he's 26 not a 19 year old rookie. One would "hope" he knows how to prepare for a professional season and can adjust more easily given his experience playing pro.

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Depends on the GM: Benning vs a Sakic or etc.  Some are better at asset management than others and good chance, Kane was motivated by a new contract - hence, the good behavior.  

Sure but the debate isn't about Kane, he's an example of my point. 

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

...and what happens to Kane when he gets another multi-year deal? my bet is he finds ways to screw that up too. Any GM giving him term is nuts imo. 

but you know someone will....in fact Edmonton is trying to re-sign him....the guy scored at a record setting pace in the playoffs....GM's in all pro sports are the same.

You can produce - I will accept your nonsense

You're average and bring nonsense- you disappear and never get another chance

That's just reality- someone, and many teams, will be willing to take a risk on him.

Regardless the point was the inflation of stats is often ignored...and therefore, if Kuzy wanted to only focus on money, his best bet was to sign with Edmonton because he will put up bigger numbers than in Vancouver (assuming top 6 and pp for both sides). That is just common sense.

seen it many times over the years in all sports where GM's ignore the fact that a player can inflate stats by playing on good teams.

Edited by NucknAsia

3 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

Great, now dump Dickinson and convince Jasek to come back.  Sign Lamikko, Highmore and Lockwood for 2.7 mil total.  

Then trade Boeser to Buffalo for Tuch and Florida's 1st (save 2.75 mil).  

If I am not mistaken, we now have 10.5m + 2.75 + Ferland 3.5 - whatever savings come from dumping Dickinson - 2.7 for 4th liners.

That gives us 13m+ to work with 

sign Andrew Copp and Josh Manson.

Miller EP Podz

Pearson Horvat Garland

Hoglander Copp Tuch

Highmore Jasek Lammikko

Lockwood

Hughes Manson

OEL Myers

Dermott Schenn

Go Canucks Go!

No shot Sabres move Tuch for Boeser.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NucknAsia said:

but you know someone will....in fact Edmonton is trying to re-sign him....the guy scored at a record setting pace in the playoffs....GM's in all pro sports are the same.

You can produce - I will accept your nonsense

You're average and bring nonsense- you disappear and never get another chance

That's just reality- someone, and many teams, will be willing to take a risk on him. Regardless the point was the inflation of stats is often ignored...seen it many times over the years in all sports

for sure stats do get inflated, or even deflated for good players, in many ways in hockey. 

My hope for Kuzemko is a fit on the 2nd line with Bo and can be in the 40-50 pt range, and a threat on the PP. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JM_ said:

...and what happens to Kane when he gets another multi-year deal? my bet is he finds ways to screw that up too. Any GM giving him term is nuts imo. 

IF he has matured then good chance, the team gambling on him will have a good player - but a big IF, given his history ?  I agree and if I was a GM: a short term deal with a good buy out clause, is all I would offer.  Right now, he seems to be a good buy low candidate that carries some risk of underperforming any contract; and perhaps with an OV or Alpha type captain he can be kept in line - like Wilson ?  And the Canucks, might have one, in Miller but he might not be here cause the Canucks would be better off, selling high on him (imo).

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

for sure stats do get inflated, or even deflated for good players, in many ways in hockey. 

My hope for Kuzemko is a fit on the 2nd line with Bo and can be in the 40-50 pt range, and a threat on the PP. 

I'm more curious to see if he's 'gritty'....We can see his skill in the highlights but if plays a 'hard nosed' game like Podz, he will truly be a heck of an add for us. Maybe a Burr 2.0?

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

Sure but the debate isn't about Kane, he's an example of my point. 

I got your point: GM's might look pass his history for the reasons he got drafted that high.  Of course, there will be some (desperate) GM, that will take a chance on him due to his tangibles

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

IF he has matured then good chance, the team gambling on him will have a good player - but a big IF, given his history ?  I agree and if I was a GM a short term deal with a good buy out clause, is all I would offer.  Right now, he seems to be a good buy low candidate that carries some risk of underperforming any contract - perhaps with an OV or Alpha type captain he can be kept in line - like Wilson ?  But the Canucks, might have one in Miller but he might not be here cause the Canucks would be better off, selling high on him (imo).

dunno, after today I'm expecting Miller to come in at 7x7 on his next deal. 

• Like 2

Just now, JM_ said:

I believe JR let the cat out of the bag, but I do believe those numbers are pretty close. Maybe 6x7, the 6 being years. Boudreau has got something happening with the change in the culture and hopefully he keeps it going. I'd hate to see a coaching change at the end of the coming season, give him a two year deal at the end of 22/23. Now about that defense!  But, it all boils down to, "just win baby".

9 minutes ago, JM_ said:

The Miller sage has certainly kept all of us engaged and the Kuz addition, is a good feather on Allvins' cap.  Imo, the situation with Miller is VERY FLUID and good chance, teams that has had a playoff run this season will be looking to add and Allvin should be asking for the moon.  Let's enjoy the Finals cause once it is over the phones should start ringing.  The Rags, Kings, Devils and more recently, the retooling Flyers are the teams, that I am looking at, as suitors for Miller with the preference on the Devils or Flyers for the 5th pick (JB' favorite spot).

Edited by ShawnAntoski

24 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, just everyone remember, KHL only plays a 60 game season and their travel load is nothing compared to the NHL.

Everything I've seen of this kid is that he has NHL level talent, IQ and hands. He's likely going to struggle with the length of season, same as many players do their first year. They start to hit the wall after Xmas.

Looking forward to seeing how he does!

Podkolzin was flying at the end of the year.  Was one of our best players.  Kuzmenko is already 26.  He knows what to expect.  

Question here, how do we view Kuzmenko as a player?

From what I’ve seen and read looks like:

he is someone who is going to dig pucks out of corners / boards, heavy on puck, who likes to be a playmaker but can finish plays too.