The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Dubois Will Not Re-sign as RFA, Will Enter Market as UFA in 2024

10 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Not that ive seen you personally post about 

but people seem to be angry towards johnny goudreau about “misleading” the flames by not saying earlier that he was gonna walk

Now Dubois gives full disclosure on what he wants to do and he has character issues.

there is of course a better way both could have handled their situations but it just seems players cant win this kind of scenario 

and to be honest, if I played in the NHL i would do what i could to play for the Canucks

I don't care about Gaudreau so much because he was a UFA and he had every right to walk. Would he have been traded after last season if they'd known? Maybe. This past season at the deadline? Doubt it.

Dubois &^@#s Winnipeg over by making it known what he wants publicly, it never should have been leaked and I doubt the Jets leaked it. Teams know he wants out, now it's rumoured he's set on Montreal, this hurts Winnipeg's ability to get a great return and possibly harms his trade market. If he really attended the draft because he was certain Montreal would trade for him he deserves zero slack.

Dubois, his agent, or someone close to either likely leaked something and it never should have happened, it's a bad look.

If it got out that Pettersson didn't plan on sticking around and wanted to go to Colorado, publicly hurting his trade value in the process, I'd be pissed too.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, timberz21 said:

So players should just lie like Gaudreau did pretending to negotiate with Calgary knowing fully he didn’t want to re-sign?

at least the kid his honest.  He’s not the first player saying he will wait until

free agency before signing a long term deal.  Tavares, Stamkos, etc all did it I believe.  He’s just doing it a little earlier than most, that’s it.

IMO there’s worst diva behaviour than this in the NHL lol

no they can let the management know there's 0 need to make it public he wasn't interested in re-signing with them or any other team beside montreal... then they can trade him to another team to recoup asset. right now? winnipeg will get no value out of PLD in a trade until maybe 2 years from now at the TDL.

sure there's probably worst diva behaviour in the NHL. but for a young RFA with no rights to be publicly tempering ruining his trade value... so what's next for all the RFA? we going to see more and more about RFA coming out a year or 2 playing in the NHL saying i have no desire to play for this team long term and i want to be in so and so city? so better trade me now?

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I don't care about Gaudreau so much because he was a UFA and he had every right to walk. Would he have been traded after last season if they'd known? Maybe. This past season at the deadline? Doubt it.

Dubois &^@#s Winnipeg over by making it known what he wants publicly, it never should have been leaked and I doubt the Jets leaked it. Teams know he wants out, now it's rumoured he's set on Montreal, this hurts Winnipeg's ability to get a great return and possibly harms his trade market. If he really attended the draft because he was certain Montreal would trade for him he deserves zero slack.

Dubois, his agent, or someone close to either likely leaked something and it never should have happened, it's a bad look.

If it got out that Pettersson didn't plan on sticking around and wanted to go to Colorado, publicly hurting his trade value in the process, I'd be pissed too.

The one thing that surprises me, especially with all the JT Miller talk on here, is how people keep saying the return for players is damaged knowing that the player will not re-sign with the team they are traded to. 

99% of players that get moved at the trade deadline are rentals, and if they are the quality that PLD or JTM are, they still go for a 1st round pick and a top prospect. So, you get Dubois or Miller for a full year? You're still going to get a good return. 

The NHL has never really been about sign and trades like other leagues. 

9 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

no they can let the management know there's 0 need to make it public he wasn't interested in re-signing with them or any other team beside montreal... then they can trade him to another team to recoup asset. right now? winnipeg will get no value out of PLD in a trade until maybe 2 years from now at the TDL.

sure there's probably worst diva behaviour in the NHL. but for a young RFA with no rights to be publicly tempering ruining his trade value... so what's next for all the RFA? we going to see more and more about RFA coming out a year or 2 playing in the NHL saying i have no desire to play for this team long term and i want to be in so and so city? so better trade me now?

We don’t have all the info.  Maybe Winnipeg pissed him off so bad with a low ball offer or maybe there is more to it than Maurice leaving in the middle of the year for no apparent reason…Not to mention Chevy getting off easy with the Chicago mess.

Brisson is one of the most influential agent out there.  Doubt he would have leaked that on purpose if there wasn’t an honest reason. Otherwise he would have purposely sabotage him own client since if he only wants to go to Montreal, they can lowball (relatively speaking) is ass off and still get him.

so imo there is more to the story.

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

We don’t have all the info.  Maybe Winnipeg pissed him off so bad with a low ball offer or maybe there is more to it than Maurice leaving in the middle of the year for no apparent reason…Not to mention Chevy getting off easy with the Chicago mess.

Brisson is one of the most influential agent out there.  Doubt he would have leaked that on purpose if there wasn’t an honest reason. Otherwise he would have purposely sabotage him own client since if he only wants to go to Montreal, they can lowball (relatively speaking) is ass off and still get him.

maybe but it's not his first time wanting out of a city in 5 years.. there's always something to complain about with this guy

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

We’ve seen players commenting publicly before about where they want to play. Lindros probably being the highest profile

3 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Considering everything that has occurred going all the way back to Kane/Big Buf, yeah I’d say it’s a bit of a chaotic franchise at times. Schieffle having a hissy fit at end of season is its own microcosm of what has been going on

Edited by RWJC

7 minutes ago, RWJC said:

We’ve seen players commenting publicly before about where they want to play. Lindros probably being the highest profile

sure but how often have you seen RFA coming out publicly well before they are UFA saying i have no intention of signing/playing here?

11 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

sure but how often have you seen RFA coming out publicly well before they are UFA saying i have no intention of signing/playing here?

I think it will become more common as well. The upper tier players pay scale has leveraged itself over the owners. I think more power lies in the hands of the UFAs though for now, as evidenced by JG/CGY. 

regardless if it continues it’s bad news for Canadian hockey markets 

16 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I think it will become more common as well. The upper tier players pay scale has leveraged itself over the owners. I think more power lies in the hands of the UFAs though for now, as evidenced by JG/CGY. 

regardless if it continues it’s bad news for Canadian hockey markets 

hence i was making the extreme case someone needs to make an example out of these self entitled kids i want to play here i want to play there i don't like ur city i don't like this coach i don't like that player blah blah blah. u don't like any of those no problem just shut up and play till the end of ur rfa then u can go ahead and do whatever the hell u want.

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

hence i was making the extreme case someone needs to make an example out of these self entitled kids i want to play here i want to play there i don't like ur city i don't like this coach i don't like that player blah blah blah. u don't like any of those no problem just shut up and play till the end of ur rfa then u can go ahead and do whatever the hell u want.

It’s the evolution of pro sports. 
Going to be hard to control unless the CBA is ratified somehow. Personally I would love to see the NHL switch to a hybrid system where a team can cancel a players contract without penalty or condition of payment. It would rid the league of dead cap situations and force teams like Arizona to be profitable or relocate. Imho, Canadian teams shouldn’t be having to pay into escrow for that clusterfunk of a franchise to survive 

42 minutes ago, RWJC said:

It’s the evolution of pro sports. 
Going to be hard to control unless the CBA is ratified somehow. Personally I would love to see the NHL switch to a hybrid system where a team can cancel a players contract without penalty or condition of payment. It would rid the league of dead cap situations and force teams like Arizona to be profitable or relocate. Imho, Canadian teams shouldn’t be having to pay into escrow for that clusterfunk of a franchise to survive 

that will never fly.. it's basically asking every GM to offer max term contract to every player just to lower the cap and then cut the player as soon as they no longer worth the cap.. teams will literally be throwing out max term contract to every single player regardless of age with no intention of actually paying it out.

10 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

that will never fly.. it's basically asking every GM to offer max term contract to every player just to lower the cap and then cut the player as soon as they no longer worth the cap.. teams will literally be throwing out max term contract to every single player regardless of age with no intention of actually paying it out.

Yeah I know. I’m just spitballing as I don’t really see a solid option to prevent a player from handcuffing their respective team and demanding to be traded early into their contracts. 
What is your solution?

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Yeah I know. I’m just spitballing as I don’t really see a solid option to prevent a player from handcuffing their respective team and demanding to be traded early into their contracts. 
What is your solution?

honestly there isn't any hence some teams/GM/Owners with balls should put one of those whiny players that comes out and said he doesn't want to be here with a bunch of years left on the rfa permanately on the 4th line.. they can get chump change for arbitration or they can go play in europe till they are 27

11 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, pretty unprofessional of Dubois. Guy’s a prick even from a distance. 

What kind of return is Winnipeg going to get now for Dubois if they’re trying to trade for him? The Jets have no advantage in negotiations, because other teams are going to hold them hostage. They know they have a player who wants out. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, TmanVan said:

The one thing that surprises me, especially with all the JT Miller talk on here, is how people keep saying the return for players is damaged knowing that the player will not re-sign with the team they are traded to. 

99% of players that get moved at the trade deadline are rentals, and if they are the quality that PLD or JTM are, they still go for a 1st round pick and a top prospect. So, you get Dubois or Miller for a full year? You're still going to get a good return. 

The NHL has never really been about sign and trades like other leagues. 

Miller and Dubois are different scenarios, Miller is a player who's taken steps forward and flourished during his later 20's whereas Dubois is a top 3 pick who's got the meat of his prime still ahead of him. Contenders or teams gunning for a cup would sign or trade for a Miller whereas any team in the league would happily fit in Dubois given his age and production thus far. 

Miller is a soon to be UFA whereas Dubois is a team controlled RFA. Dubois is attempting to strongarm Winnipeg into shipping him where he wants and this harms Winnipeg's ability to get great value for him unless they can find several teams he'd be willing to extend with. A lot of teams would likely trade for Dubois and think little of giving him a max deal if he were willing to extend, I can't say the same of Miller given his age. 

Miller's likely at the peak of his powers and more appealing to a contender, Dubous has put up good numbers for age and offers a package of size, skill, and speed while still having potential to improve on his numbers in a big way going forward with the right linemates going forward. Miller is the more appealing rental to a team closer to a cup, I don't think as many teams would be interested in renting Dubois. 

Dubois seems to be actively screwing his team, that's the issue I have with him. Winnipeg's already a team that has a hard time attracting top talent and now Dubois is apparently cutting them off at the legs and damaging his trade value by making it known he wants to go to Montreal. You don't typically see RFA's screwing teams like this and it likely doesn't sit well with teams and a lot of fans. 

There's nothing wrong with wanting to go to Montreal, but he should have kept it in house. His attending the draft was a stupid move. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, pretty unprofessional of Dubois. Guy’s a prick even from a distance. 

What kind of return is Winnipeg going to get now for Dubois if they’re trying to trade for him? The Jets have no advantage in negotiations, because other teams are going to hold them hostage. They know they have a player who wants out. 

Wanting out doesn't hurt them as much because they can still field offers, but if he's reportedly set on one team if basically puts them in a position like we were in with Kesler. 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Wanting out doesn't hurt them as much because they can still field offers, but if he's reportedly set on one team if basically puts them in a position like we were in with Kesler. 

What if Montréal doesn’t want him? LOL 

5 hours ago, Screw said:

I liked PLD as a player but wouldn’t touch him with a 10ft pole now.   

Toxic player. No thanks, and huge pass. 

10ft pole? I wouldn’t touch the guy with a 100 ft pole.