The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Ryan McDonagh TB soon to be traded

RWJC

Tampa Bay Lightning working with Ryan McDonagh to find trade fit

Elliotte FriedmanJune 30, 2022, 2:30 PM

Full 32 Thoughts to come later…but a quick note on something that’s too long for Twitter.

It’s not news the Tampa Bay Lightninghave some very difficult decisions to make. They want to try to keep unrestricted free agents Ondrej Palat, Nick Paul and Jan Rutta, which is impossible without painful choices elsewhere.

According to multiple sources, the Lightning are working with Ryan McDonagh to see if there’s another team he’d consider a trade to. It’s a very, very hard thing for Tampa to think about. McDonagh’s still a tremendous player (he was on the ice for the last shift to preserve the team’s Game 5 victory in Denver that prolonged the Stanley Cup Final) and is hugely popular among his teammates, who were disappointed to hear of the possibility. It’s not what Tampa wants to do, but may have to do.

McDonagh has four seasons remaining on a cap hit of $6.75M, with a full no-trade clause. So he controls his destiny. We will see where it goes, but there are conversations about the future.

Edited by RWJC

• RWJC changed the title to (Rumour) Ryan McDonagh TB soon to be traded
1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

My thought was: Maybe TB wants Miller back, as they're probably really pi**ed they lost in the Cup Final.   

(C) Cirelli, (RD) Foote and the #31

I'm not convinced tampa is willing to do cirelli 1 for 1. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Amazing how everyone else is confident enough to move older expensive guys, But ohh those darn canucks. Ain't no way we could ever trade our dead weight ain't that right! Must keep them and treat out stars as cap dumps!:rolleyes:

I wouldn't call him dead weight. He just won back-to-back Cups.

Canucks certainly don't need him though. 

• Cheers 2

47 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

My thought was: Maybe TB wants Miller back, as they're probably really pi**ed they lost in the Cup Final.   

(C) Cirelli, (RD) Foote and the #31

Cirelli is already a star.  One of best 2 way players in hockey at great price. We arent getting him.

They're $2M over the cap.  Moving Mcdonaugh brings them around $5M under the cap.

Palat + Paul + Ruuta?  Probably $9M+ AAV in total

So now they're back $4M+ over the cap.

They'd have to do more...

27 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He has a worse contract than OEL considering he is 2 years older.  He will have negative value in any trade.  If he actually gets traded for positive value then that means that OEL can also be traded.

Thanks EP. Exactly.

This is what was circulating in the back of my mind when I posted the topic.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Imagine being in his shoes ... after all those playoff series and being an important part of their cups and their regular seasons...and then been asked to waive.   This isn't really a story - just Friedman.   If i had 31 one (will it be 32 soon?!!) thoughts and felt the certain demographic would hold on to my every word .. i guess i'd be busy trying to make sh!t up all the time too.   That's all he's doing.   Wonder if he regrets it.  (Friedman of course...nah i'm sure he gets most his ideas in the middle of the night or when he's doing his morning poop) ... yes he's the "number one " insider - and some of that actually matters, but most of it i've seen some CDCer do a better job of on the trade proposal threads. 

Edited by IBatch

31 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wouldn't call him dead weight. He just won back-to-back Cups.

Canucks certainly don't need him though. 

I just mean in terms of expensive and older age players... it makes me chuckle how any other team is confident they can move on from them. The vibe in Vancouver is we could never get rid of that same type of player. Impossible, will never happen ect. Haha

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He has a worse contract than OEL considering he is 2 years older.  He will have negative value in any trade.  If he actually gets traded for positive value then that means that OEL can also be traded.

Well at least some one is paying attention.   What is going to happen is we have watched the king killed.   And they despite no state taxes are going to have to pay the piper... it won't be much tax but it will cut a little.  

• Upvote 1