The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Signing) Tampa bay re-signs Nick Paul

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure, but let's not kids ourselves it's a "good" contract. He got an extra 3 years of term and upwards of $5m+ his value on this contract.

It works for him ($$$ and security) and it keeps his AAV low for Tampa while they're still contending for a few years. It's not a "good" contract.

It’s a “good” contract for a team that plans their next decade.  

59 minutes ago, Devron said:

If Canucks made this signing. People would be peeing all over it. It’s Tampa so it’s a good deal. Go figure 

Context matters -- the reason the first statement is true is because (for the likes of the Beagle/ Roussel signings) it was mistimed (we weren't contenders, and even though they had cap space to spend at that time, they and the team sucked so they shouldn't have received that type of deal or clause when no one else was going to offer that, plus they should have invested more for players near the top of the lineup first, vs. in bottom-6 players).

For this I look at it as TB already has their other foundation pieces in place (top-6 minus Palat, who's probably too pricey to keep; their elite D-core,currently minus Rutta; Vasilievskiy is signed for years) and they look to reward a youngish guy who's been good so far and who can keep growing into an expanded role by giving him term.  As the contracts of guys like Killorn/ Cirelli continue to become too expensive to retain due to an embarrassment of riches, they can trade those guys out and simply move the next guys up (e.g. Paul and probably Hagel, etc.).  That's how dynasties are sustained, and when those promotions happen Paul will look like a steal.       

Edited by Phil_314
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Context matters -- the reason the first statement is true is because (for the likes of the Beagle/ Roussel signings) it was mistimed (we weren't contenders, and even though they had cap space to spend at that time, they and the team sucked so they shouldn't have received that type of deal or clause when no one else was going to offer that, plus they should have invested more for players near the top of the lineup first, vs. in bottom-6 players).

For this I look at it as TB already has their other foundation pieces in place (top-6 minus Palat, who's probably too pricey to keep; their elite D-core,currently minus Rutta; Vasilievskiy is signed for years) and they look to reward a youngish guy who's been good so far and who can keep growing into an expanded role by giving him term.  As the contracts of guys like Killorn/ Cirelli continue to become too expensive to retain due to an embarrassment of riches, they can trade those guys out and simply move the next guys up (e.g. Paul and probably Hagel, etc.).  That's how dynasties are sustained, and when those promotions happen Paul will look like a steal.       

Everything you said it correct, But what he said is also correct. Remember how people still found a way to complain about huggys deal? The west coast is just too entitled overall 

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Everything you said it correct, But what he said is also correct. Remember how people still found a way to complain about huggys deal? The west coast is just too entitled overall 

Hence why I said context matters; signings in and of themselves can be objectively neutral, but it's how the fanbase perceives it (and how the team has performed, plus player fit of course) that tells whether it'll be viewed as a good or bad signing.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

It’s a “good” contract for a team that plans their next decade.  

No, it's not a good contract. It's a deal that works for player and team due to circumstance/context. But he's definitely being paid over market value and silly term.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

How much longer is Tampa a Cup level team?  Maybe three seasons?  Then they are likely planning a deep diving rebuild.  Having Paul during the years of the deep dive isn’t a bad thing.  It’s only a 3 mil cap hit, and they will be at the cap floor during that time.  

Point is barely 26, Cirelli is even younger

This team can still compete for 5 yrs.

5 hours ago, stawns said:

Steal?  They gave a guy a $22m contract, with a 7 year term based on one good playoff run.  He's a 30ish point guy........I don't mind the salary, but 7 years?

If he has the SAME kind of season as this past one, it's a steal. Only then. As I said it's virtually the same Pearson gets paid, which in my mind actually seems a little high, given the sample size.

I could see this contract being a great one, but can also see it being a long-term waste of money.

Edited by kloubek