The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Signing) Tampa bay re-signs Nick Paul

26 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Thats a damn good deal for paul.  Did you see how effective he was in this playoff?   Hes a heart and soul player that plays fearless.   And he can contribute.  Nucks would be lucky to have him

Based on one good playoff run, that's it.  Decent player before that, but not 7 years decent, imo.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't think anyone is arguing he's not an excellent role player and 3C. He was long at the top of my list of guys we should sign this summer before he broke out on Tampa. But these guys usually get 3, maybe 4 year terms, not 7.

What do you mean by these guys?  

There is absolutely nothing not to like about paul.  Hes a player still young enough and effective enough in so majy roles that he can be a part of tampas long term plan.  

5 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

There is absolutely nothing not to like about paul.  Hes a player still young enough and effective enough in so majy roles that he can be a part of tampas long term plan.  

Based on one good playoff run.  Prior to the last two months would you have given him.a 7 year deal?

29 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Thats a damn good deal for paul.  Did you see how effective he was in this playoff?   Hes a heart and soul player that plays fearless.   And he can contribute.  Nucks would be lucky to have him

Paul has never played over 59 games in a season so far.. I like Paul 27, 6'3, C/W  put decent numbers with Tampa, great on PK..

Big power forward and looked great with Tampa.. Might be a future GP75 - G 17--20 -- PTS 35--42  plays up and down lineup won't hurt you and big and tough....

2 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Higher end 3C guys.

Who's saying I don't like anything about Paul? Again, he was at the top of my list of who I hoped we'd target this summer. He's a REALLY good player in that role.

But 3C's, no matter how good, tend to sign between 3-5 year deals. Not 7. They clearly overpaid in term to get the AAV down and get him more overall cash to stay. He got probably about $5m more overall in that deal than he was going to get in the open market.

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Higher end 3C guys.

Who's saying I don't like anything about Paul? Again, he was at the top of my list of who I hoped we'd target this summer. He's a REALLY good player in that role.

But 3C's, no matter how good, tend to sign between 3-5 year deals. Not 7. They clearly overpaid in term to get the AAV down and get him more overall cash to stay. He got probably about $5m more overall in that deal than he was going to get in the open market.

How much longer is Tampa a Cup level team?  Maybe three seasons?  Then they are likely planning a deep diving rebuild.  Having Paul during the years of the deep dive isn’t a bad thing.  It’s only a 3 mil cap hit, and they will be at the cap floor during that time.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

If Canucks made this signing. People would be peeing all over it. It’s Tampa so it’s a good deal. Go figure 

Weren't people JUST and STILL whinging on about Benning's tendency to signing guys to an extra year.l?

Paul signs an extra THREE and a lot of the same posters... "Great deal!" :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

How much longer is Tampa a Cup level team?  Maybe three seasons?  Then they are likely planning a deep diving rebuild.  Having Paul during the years of the deep dive isn’t a bad thing.  It’s only a 3 mil cap hit, and they will be at the cap floor during that time.  

I'm well up on the context, thanks Alf :lol:

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Weren't people JUST and STILL whinging on about Benning's tendency to signing guys to an extra year.l?

Paul signs an extra THREE and a lot of the same posters... "Great deal!" :lol:

My thoughts exactly. 7 years is ridiculous. It’s only 3 million but we complain about 2 million dollar guys. Crazy 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

I guess Tampa will have to add prospect or 1st rounder to take on that contract fora 33yr old 4yrs X 6.7 million...

Not sure but good chance, Tampa will add a sweetener ?  Unless, Yzerman & (his prodigy) Brisebois can agree on a win win deal cause McDonough is still a solid D and he is a familiar player to Yzerman.  Detroit can afford him and with his championship pedigree, he can help with the development of there young core.  Yzerman is a shrewd GM and he knows when to add or sell high on player.

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It was Yzerman who rebuilt the current core and it will interesting, how Brisebois will be doing his own version.  Good chance, it will start with a fire sale to open up some cap.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I hope people remember this deal in the Miller thread. 

"What team is going to give Miller a 7 or 8 year deal?!"

Any team that likes him and is looking to win now and doesn't care what his cap hit is in 5+ years. See: Nick Paul SEVEN YEAR extension.

Yup.

And, in 5-7 years, 3M will be like 2M now.  As long as these playoffs were not a complete fluke for him, there is nothing wrong with the contract

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm well up on the context, thanks Alf :lol:

It’s a team acting with a long term plan in mind compared to what we had over the last eight years.  Benning’s “day to day” no plan is why JR needs to clean up a huge mess.  Tampa is already planning way ahead.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kragar said:

Yup.

And, in 5-7 years, 3M will be like 2M now.  As long as these playoffs were not a complete fluke for him, there is nothing wrong with the contract

Sure, but let's not kids ourselves it's a "good" contract. He got an extra 3 years of term and upwards of $5m+ his value on this contract.

It works for him ($$$ and security) and it keeps his AAV low for Tampa while they're still contending for a few years. It's not a "good" contract.

• Cheers 1