The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Signing) Tampa bay re-signs Nick Paul

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

There's still Roy, Tierney, Sturm (and a couple other guys).

I'd already largely moved on from Paul anyway after these playoffs. Almost no chance we were getting him after his showing, and certainly not on a reasonable contract :(

I'd LOVE if management can wrangle Roy out of Vegas though. PERFECT fit.

Pivot!

• Vintage 1

Very good contract for Paul considering he was often a healthy scratch in Ottawa. Guy just needed a fresh start and had an impressive showing in TB's Stanley Cup run. Next priority is for TB to try and re-sign Palat. 

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

There's still Roy, Tierney, Sturm (and a couple other guys).

I'd already largely moved on from Paul anyway after these playoffs. Almost no chance we were getting him after his showing, and certainly not on a reasonable contract :(

I'd LOVE if management can wrangle Roy out of Vegas though. PERFECT fit.

we might need to do the nuclear option of the offer sheet for Roy. 

He had an amazing year for Tampa, no doubt. If he continues to play like he has, 3m is a steal.

But it's a small sample size. Previous to that, played more like a 3rd or 4th liner. I should also point out that Pearson (who CDC seems to like to include in trade proposals) at a similar AAV with a similar kind of game gets far more ppg than Paul. Of course, ice time probably has some to do with it....

• Cheers 3

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Arizona if they include a huge sweetener.  However, he has a full NTC so he most likely would not go there.  I don't think there will be much of a trade market for him unless he is willing to go to a bottom feeder who needs to hit the cap floor...

Tampa  will have to add draft pick and prospect and there will be some teams listening maybe even retain 1 million 5.7million X 4 yrs

• Upvote 1

Looks like it's a 7 year deal with an average of 3.15M. What a steal. He was basically a 3rd line, big strong physical center who scored at a 20 goal, 50+ point pace but ended up playing big minutes in the playoffs for Tampa. 

This will surely help the Canucks with negotiations for a 3C. Copp will surely be out of the question, you could argue he played like a top 6 forward recently. The other tier of guys including Tierney, Janmark, Rask and Jarnkrok are surely no better than Paul. We might be able to nab one for 2.5M. 

I really hope we don't try and find someone who has been a 4th liner and hope they can improve their play again the way we did with Dickinson - my main worry is that the Canucks will look for the cheap option in Lazar and try to play him at 3C because we'll get burned. You have to invest in you centers so I hope management are willing to spend 3M on a 3C, and this Paul deal makes it very possible.

Paul looked good in Ottawa and great after he moved, I bet Tierney would be the same.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Looks like it's a 7 year deal with an average of 3.15M. What a steal. He was basically a 3rd line, big strong physical center who scored at a 20 goal, 50+ point pace but ended up playing big minutes in the playoffs for Tampa. 

This will surely help the Canucks with negotiations for a 3C. Copp will surely be out of the question, you could argue he played like a top 6 forward recently. The other tier of guys including Tierney, Janmark, Rask and Jarnkrok are surely no better than Paul. We might be able to nab one for 2.5M. 

I really hope we don't try and find someone who has been a 4th liner and hope they can improve their play again the way we did with Dickinson - my main worry is that the Canucks will look for the cheap option in Lazar and try to play him at 3C because we'll get burned. You have to invest in you centers so I hope management are willing to spend 3M on a 3C, and this Paul deal makes it very possible.

Paul looked good in Ottawa and great after he moved, I bet Tierney would be the same.

Steal?  They gave a guy a $22m contract, with a 7 year term based on one good playoff run.  He's a 30ish point guy........I don't mind the salary, but 7 years?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Steal?  They gave a guy a $22m contract, with a 7 year term based on one good playoff run.  He's a 30ish point guy........I don't mind the salary, but 7 years?

Thats a damn good deal for paul.  Did you see how effective he was in this playoff?   Hes a heart and soul player that plays fearless.   And he can contribute.  Nucks would be lucky to have him

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I hope people remember this deal in the Miller thread. 

"What team is going to give Miller a 7 or 8 year deal?!"

Any team that likes him and is looking to win now and doesn't care what his cap hit is in 5+ years. See: Nick Paul SEVEN YEAR extension.

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Thats a damn good deal for paul.  Did you see how effective he was in this playoff?   Hes a heart and soul player that plays fearless.   And he can contribute.  Nucks would be lucky to have him

I don't think anyone is arguing he's not an excellent role player and 3C. He was long at the top of my list of guys we should sign this summer before he broke out on Tampa. But these guys usually get 3, maybe 4 year terms, not 7.

Edited by aGENT

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't think anyone is arguing he's not an excellent role player and 3C. He was long at the top of my list of guys we should sign this summer before he broke out on Tampa. But these guys usually get 3, maybe 4 year terms, not 7.

Well.

Briesbois be like...

Make Him An Offer He Can T Refuse GIFs | Tenor

12 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think Copp 27. 6'2, 210lbs can be a second line centre so his value will be higher then Paul or Tierney..Copp was behind Scheifele and Wheeler so never got the ice time to put up numbers with Jets.. Copp plays C/W playing second line 22 G -- 55-65 points..  Copp will get  5 yr X 5.5 million range..

• Cheers 1