The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Mike Yeo, Trent Cull as assistant coaches; name Jeremy Colliton as Abbotsford head coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

Hardly, Dahlen is one of the small guys Benning was high on. :bigblush:

Benning was likely high on many things, it explains a lot of the last 8 years.

e/ :bigblush:

Edited by kanucks25
  • Haha 2

Not official yet, but sounds like the Leafs will be poaching Curtis Sanford (Abby goalie coach) to run their goaltending department.

Tough loss. But was only a matter of time before some team took notice of the good work he’s been doing under Ian Clark and offered Sanford an NHL gig.

Will be interesting to see who Clark targets as a replacement (assuming the new management gives Clark autonomy on goalie department hires).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

In case this hasn’t been posted yet, here’s a quote from Brad Shaw that seems to take a shot at Travis Green:

“I took a job initially I thought I would love but I felt lost. With the coaching change I felt like I had a chance, more functional. I thank Jimmy Rutherford and Patrik Allvin because it gave me a chance to work again,” he told Postmedia from his cottage on Mississippi Lake in Ontario."

-Brad Shaw

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Uhh, Curtis Sanford left to be Torontos goalie coach?

Yup. Was reported yesterday. Made official today.

I expected he’d get poached eventually, so not surprised.

Just was hoping we’d get one more year of Sanford working with the goalies in Abbotsford, before NHL teams came knocking.

It’s well deserved though. Sanford has been excellent and he’s learned under the best in the biz in Ian Clark. Good hire for the Leafs. Just sucks it comes at our expense.

• Cheers 1

Gonna be interesting to see who comes in as Sanford’s replacement.

We definitely need a goalie coach in Abby this season. And a good one at that.

As far as experienced guys, Andrew Allen (recently the Kracken goalie coach) just lost his job to Steve Briere, who had lost the Toronto job to Sanford. Maybe the carousel continues and Allen takes Sanford’s old job? 

(I’m sure there are other experienced NHL/AHL goalie coaches out there available. Allen is just the name I know. Gonna check around and see who else might be looking for a new gig these days.)

Or maybe Clark has someone in mind, possibly a recently retired player, who he feels he can train up be a good coach? I wouldn’t recommend this option if the team was still in Utica, but with the Abby move, it makes a lot of sense. Clark could run double duties until he’s got the Abbotsford coach trained up well enough to take the reins and run the AHL goalies on his (or her) own.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

13 hours ago, Muttley said:

Ian Clark will no doubt know of someone that will be appropriate for the Abbotsford Canucks. One would think he is aware of the best people in the field, including

ones that haven't held an NHL or even AHL position yet but may have in US college or Europe.

Oh yeah, definitely. I’m sure Ian Clark already has a number of people in mind, if he hasn’t narrowed it down to a shortlist of candidates. I’d imagine he knew weeks ago that Sanford might be moving on (certainly that possibility has been talked about for a while), and had something of a contingency plan in place, should a replacement be needed.

I doubt it will take too long before the next AHL goalie coach is announced.

The question for me is whether the Canucks are best served by bringing in someone experienced, or training up someone fairly new to the job?

I think things probably work better if the AHL and NHL goaltending staffs are in lockstep with each other and completely in agreement on incorporating the methodologies and techniques Clark has developed.

An experienced goalie coach might have his own ideas, and that might play well with Ian Clark.

I’m thinking the best candidate might be a former goalie who Clark coached in the past and who already has a good working relationship with Ian and is familiar with his methods. Somebody with an interest in transitioning to coaching as their post-playing career and would relish the opportunity to learn under the tutelage of one of the world’s most respected experts in the field.

In that vein, I’m wondering if a guy like Curtis McElhinney might be a good candidate?

McElhinney played under Clark for four seasons in Columbus, where they retooled his game together, and Clark has spoken quite positively about McElhinney’s work ethic, coachability, personality/character, and how he “gets it” and is able to process information and incorporate technical changes.

McElhinney is also no stranger to the AHL, having played 200+ games at that level, in addition to his 200+ NHL starts. He’s a two time Stanley Cup winner (both with TBL) and has played for 8 NHL and 4 AHL teams. He also holds a degree in history and political science.

Recently retired from his playing career, McElhinney is currently working as the Director of Coaching for MHH Goalie Club in Colorado.

(Here are a couple good articles on McElhinney, with lots of gushing quotes from his former coaches, including Ian Clark:)

https://theathletic.com/965192/2019/05/07/curtis-mcelhinney-has-forged-an-nhl-career-thanks-to-a-quiet-desire-and-the-ability-to-ride-to-the-rescue/?amp=1

https://www.rawcharge.com/platform/amp/2020/12/17/22177883/the-long-awaited-stanley-cup-champion-toronto-carolina-about-curtis-mcelhinney-tampa-bay-lightning

• Upvote 1

Lol, some of the 650 hosts loved to rip into Cull about his lack of developing prospects in the AHL (never mind he was never given much quality) yet when they had him on the radio recently it was buddy buddy time. Cowards. I continue to weep about the state of sports media in this town.

San Jose does not qualify dahlen. Cull was right, he needed to learn how to play the right way and give more effort at all times. He's pretty much a floater looking for goals, but give up a ton. Chiasson is much older, PTO guy and ended the season with same pts, and 1 more goal with a handful of more games without being a huge liability on ice despite his slow foot speed. 

Such a shame cuz dahlen would've been the only top 6 potential talent Cull had to work with that didn't seem like he'd be rushed to the NHL. That's until before dahlen decided to bolted back to Sweden. 

Edited by secksii