The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Mike Yeo, Trent Cull as assistant coaches; name Jeremy Colliton as Abbotsford head coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

It sure is. Personally I do find it important to try to keep up to date with how language changes over time. The way my Pop speaks is much different then the way I speak. He can say some incredibly rude or hurtful things, but he doesn't say them trying to be mean (the majority of the time...). It's just the way he speaks because it's how he spoke, and was spoken to, growing up. In a perfect world we adapt and change, but not everyone is capable of that and some simply don't care.

To me, it's worth taking the time to learn these things and try to make changes where applicable. If we still spoke like we did in the 60s without making changes, the world would be an incredibly different and even more uncomfortable place for any minority.

Yeah, my mother is a linguist so have had a lot of that sort of thing over the years. 
As with anything learning is easy, adapting is hard. I have found it incredibly hard to switch to gender neutral language around one of my kids. Anyone new I meet, no issues but breaking an established pattern is so hard. 

• Huggy Bear 1

Yeo seems like a fundamental structure guy that lacks leadership and people skills, he’s probably a great assistant but you never want things to go bad enough to promote him to head coach. 

iMo I would take TG as head coach over Mike Yeo.  Even though Yeo has a much higher career winning % than TG. ( which is sad )

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, AV. said:

List of Brad Shaw accomplishments in Vancouver
- recommended the former regime pay 4 x 2M for a 6th defenceman
- did absolutely nothing tangible to fix the defensive structure

Safe to say, we're probably better off with this separation.

Welcome to the new guys, I guess.

Proof? 

As long they all work well together. We needed a change, and BB definitely had a say in these hirings. 

Bruce coached less games for Wild (303) than Yeo (349). We have two guys with legit nhl head coaching experience. As long they work together, this can only be a plus. 

Already excited for the new season, and I haven't even seen what the trades and signings are going to be in the summer. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

:unsure:

Gotta say this makes me a little nervous. I think Shaw was one of the better defensive coaches in the league and squeezed a lot out of a D core that was just average on paper.

You’re giving a lot of responsibility to a rookie NHL coach. I would have preferred a seasoned guy like John Stevens. I get that you have to have a succession plan but is this too soon and is it the right role for him?

Can anyone who watches Abbotsford tell

me how the Canucks D looked down there?

2 hours ago, billabong said:

If the off ice decisions of the Canucks are any indication of their plan with the on ice product…I’d expect a large over haul of players 

go away gtfo GIF

Yup  

This thought of watching one's back because some one is being groomed for your job and so on is insecure thinking.

People come

into a job with thoughts of doing their best not unseating some one else. People unseat themselves. I think it's part of the landscape to now you'll be gone one day. 

At first glance, I was pretty bummed overall about this news. Brad Shaw is highly touted and respected, but maybe he had less of a voice in the post-Boudreau hiring than it appeared, especially if he's been lured back to coach with Tortorella (a pretty washed up coach....) on a worse team.

Trent Cull has done an awesome job the last three years in Abby/Utica, essentially coaching teams to .600% winning rates on a team with like... no prospect pipeline to speak of. The playoffs this year were a bit of a disappointment, but there was definitely some bad luck in that series. Rutherford and Allvin are clearing out people seemingly on the slightest pretext, which gives me some faith they see a lot of value in the people they're keeping around from the old regime (RJ, Harvey, Cull, Smyl etc.)

Yeo might not have a great HC record, but he's been an important assistant on a # of teams, including on a deep playoff run for Pittsburgh, and then the first cup of the Crosby era. He brings a lot of experience for an assistant, and might just be better suited for that role. It brings me confidence that Bruce is speaking highly of their conversations so far.

Colliton is still kinda unknown to me as a coach. He guided Chicago back to the playoffs in his first full year, and last year... I don't think any coach could've helped that team, especially with the sexual assault that came to light and Toews whining to the media about management decisions. The fact that he has NHL experience and they quickly snapped up a former NHL coach for Abbotsford is somewhat promising.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Colliton is still kinda unknown to me as a coach. He guided Chicago back to the playoffs in his first full year, and last year... I don't think any coach could've helped that team, especially with the sexual assault that came to light and Toews whining to the media about management decisions. The fact that he has NHL experience and they quickly snapped up a former NHL coach for Abbotsford is somewhat promising.

Yeah, agreed that Colliton was in a tough spot with that Blackhawks team, between replacing a “legendary” coach in Quenneville (giving him his props even though I think Q is a PoS), the cloud of the abuse scandal hanging over that organization, coaching during the pandemic, and having the roster of a former championship team/dynasty that was finally entering their inevitable decline/rebuild phase.

Honestly, almost any NHL coach would’ve been doomed from the start, hired/promoted to the Blackhawks head coaching job when Colliton was.

On the positive side, the guy is only 37 years old and already has a dozen years of professional hockey coaching under his belt, including (parts of) four seasons as an NHL head coach.

Gotta figure he can handle an AHL gig.

I’m optimistic. I haven’t cared enough previously to dig too deep into Colliton’s methods and coaching style (will be doing that soon), but I have a feeling he’s going to do well in Abby. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Toyotasfan said:

Yeo seems like a fundamental structure guy that lacks leadership and people skills, he’s probably a great assistant but you never want things to go bad enough to promote him to head coach. 

iMo I would take TG as head coach over Mike Yeo.  Even though Yeo has a much higher career winning % than TG. ( which is sad )

Green has seriously done nothing to warrant an NHL job. Look at his freaking career winnings, as you pointed out; none are winning ones, including the AHL. Green is pretty bad as a coach.

• Cheers 1

Brad Shaw gone; my opinion different than others?  Did not make Green, nor Bruce effective defensively is my opinion.  

F'd up Green's team that was competent defensively prior. Despite questionable personnell.

Don't let the door h...

• Cheers 1

Good to see. Cull is very deserving of this promotion. He’s helped developed some good, young players in Utica as well as leading the team to many good seasons. Yeo is a solid addition to our staff. I think he’s a upgrade over the departing Shaw. Colliton as new HC of Utica will be interesting to watch as well. Looking forward to how they make an impact this upcoming season

• Like 1