The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Brock Boeser

Just now, Chris Thornycroft said:

Apparently Cammy Granato was behind this. Good for her. It's not a fantastic deal based on Brock's performance last season, but compared to what we would have paid, it's a steal. If he's a 30 goal, 50-60 point player next year, it's more than worth it. He just has to stay healthy. Maybe we need a big, modern enforcer. If we can unload Myers for a cheaper, younger player whose primary role is to kill penalties, play sound defensively and stand up for teammates, I'd be all over that. 

Emilie Castonguay does contracts - Rutherford credited her for the work.  Cammi Granato is scouting.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

7 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Geersten out of NJ. Big and mean dman.League minimum.

He's a UFA.  He was mostly used as a 4th line F - he's even listed as a forward on CapFriendly.   Was picked off waivers and hasn't established himself as a regular - there will be new players who become waiver eligible this coming season.

22 minutes ago, mll said:

He's a UFA.  He was mostly used as a 4th line F - he's even listed as a forward on CapFriendly.   Was picked off waivers and hasn't established himself as a regular - there will be new players who become waiver eligible this coming season.

Oh UFA forward yes LW.

BUT also listed as a defenseman on db. 27 yeras old. Big and mean too. Might be a good project for us. Esp vs Calgary.

I'm imagining him in for Hunt.

Less peripheral.

Could be our Maroon. Plays forward and defense. Although I'd like to see Burroughs on the 4th line too. As a 7/11 fourth liner.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

42 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He has to start scoring. He second guesses himself too much and has failed to pull the trigger effectively.  Especially chances in close, in the slot. Shoot it!

Bruce will get a lot more one on one time through training camp and I think we'll see our best Boeser yet. Along with other players too. Bruce seemed to have a pretty positive effect on them all. Almost. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Bruce will get a lot more one on one time through training camp and I think we'll see our best Boeser yet. Along with other players too. Bruce seemed to have a pretty positive effect on them all. Almost. 

Our coaching is going to be key coming out of the gate for sure. A savvy, confident,  and competent leader. 

This is a win-win.  Brock didn't deserve the price tag per year based on last year, but overall it could be considered team-friendly and the term is perfect.  I think the best part about the contract is that Brock seems happy to be a Canuck and that's what will take this team far.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

It's not a huge deal but he played a significant role in getting the Canadiens as far as the Canucks have ever gotten in their 50+ year history.  In Canucks terms for Montreal, that was like being Jeff Brown, Christian Ehrhoff or Murray Craven.  All short time Canucks who nobody complains about having acquired and without whom we may not have had our Cup runs.  Would Toffoli have been enough to take the playoff missing Canucks that year to the Cup final...probably not.  But losing Toffoli and/or Tanev was done in the name of keeping Virtanen and others.  It turned out to be a bad move.  One I can put in the rear view mirror easily enough though.

Nonsense. You could make that claim had Virtanen been re-signed before those guys walked. But it was the other way around. They walked and Virtanen was the bridesmaid signing. It's just a shame OEL set his deadline to be traded after free agency started. It meant Benning couldn't do other signings until the deal went north or south. It went south. Had it gone north getting OEL and Garland at that time I doubt anybody would have cared about Tanev and Tofoli walking.  I also doubt Virtanen would have been re-signed had that geal gone through.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah I mean it certainly looks worse after the stuff that followed with Virtnanen.  But the Canucks have been scared of losing the next Cam Neely for the last 30 years.

Tanev had a great year in Calgary. However, he couldn’t stay healthy as a Canucks. 

To me it was Toffoli. Should’ve kept Toffoli.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Nonsense. You could make that claim had Virtanen been re-signed before those guys walked. But it was the other way around. They walked and Virtanen was the bridesmaid signing. It's just a shame OEL set his deadline to be traded after free agency started. It meant Benning couldn't do other signings until the deal went north or south. It went south. Had it gone north getting OEL and Garland at that time I doubt anybody would have cared about Tanev and Tofoli walking.  I also doubt Virtanen would have been re-signed had that geal gone through.

Oh so now it’s OEL’s fault.

Will there be a day where all is good in the neighborhood?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Oh so now it’s OEL’s fault.

Will there be a day where all is good in the neighborhood?

Grow up. It was public knowledge Benning was negotiating with Arizona and the Nucks and Bruins were the only two teams OEL would waive for. Obviously until that played out nobody was getting re-signed because of the size of OEL's contract.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, aGENT said:

Agree with everything... Except OEL isn't a 2nd pair D in any way, shape or form. And $7.26 isn't remotely rich for a first pair D.

Yes, and it's perfectly fine to have your top 2 D playing on different pairs.  In fact, it's probably better that way.  

1D  3D

2D  4D

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

20 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Kuzy is a left winger yes.  Podkolzin technically is a right winger and shoots left.  Podkolzin however primarily played the left side last year.  They could always play both Podkolzin and Kuzmenko on the left.

Podkolzin   Pettersson   Boeser

Kuzmenko   Horvat       Garland

I don't like the makeup of that top 6 though.  Too small IMO.  I'd rather have Kuzy and Podzilla on the same line with Horvat and add a left winger with size to play with Petey and Brock.  Hey if we keep Miller then the 649 line could come back together.  Who knows.  But my hunch is Miller will be traded.

I think it's premature to be slotting Kuzmenko into the top 6 before he's played his first NHL game.  Maybe he becomes top 6 but don't we (and Boudreau) know that he has to earn a top 6 role?

• Upvote 1