The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Brock Boeser

41 minutes ago, Crimson-JH said:

I believe he is still grieving about his late father and it is still difficult to overcome that. Which is why he isn't as motivated as before the last post season. For some people it take longer to heal from a tough loss. Like Fleury for example, he wasn't doing well during one of his season due to loss of his dad too, and it does show in his performance. Hockey players are still human being, it is easy for fans to overlook that.

I’m not overlooking anything.

I’m a supportive fan of boeser as a player and as a person.

I’ve defended him consistently throughout the boards and verbally in person to many people.

loss is a part of life that we all experience. 

I understand grieving too and that it can even alter your brain chemistry. 

but this is his career and he’s paid an immense amount of money. The kind of money the sedins EARNED with their blood and sweat. 

brock also lost his best friend as a kid and it didn’t stop him from performing and getting drafted to the NHL.

I don’t think that’s what’s happening any more. 

I have a problem trusting his physical health. I do not think he will be able to maintain the level of health required for him to be effective in the NHL long term. 

I could be wrong. But it’s hard to see / feel otherwise right now.

i want so bad to see the best version of Brock where he’s engaged in play, making space for his shot, getting his shot off, scoring from distance, winning board battles, competing and fighting for pucks in our end and not just looking like a passenger or observer on the ice.

I want more for Brock. When Markstrom lost his dad he was very professional and honestly I think sport / work / exercise helps you move through grief. I think his hand his back his injuries his compromised conditioning / speed from constant training breaks at unfortunate timing are what’s impacting him the most. 

• Like 2

I will say, I think anyone expecting us to free up a significant chunk of cap by moving Boeser is probably out to lunch. 

I'd anticipate a larger cap hit coming back. Only four teams currently have the cap to absorb his entire contract in Chicago, Arizona, Anaheim, and Buffalo and none of them need a goal scorer who hasn't been scoring at that cap hit. Maybe Buffalo offers up Olofsson who expires after next season and says take it or leave it. 

• Like 1

Do we see the oft-bandied about Dumba deal finally materialize?

Dumba on last year of his deal.

Maybe trade BB6 straight up now and then move Dumba at deadline?

Sad to see Brock go, given all that he’s gone through, but this is an exciting option for this club and overdue. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Do we see the oft-bandied about Dumba deal finally materialize?

Dumba on last year of his deal.

Maybe trade BB6 straight up now and then move Dumba at deadline?

Sad to see Brock go, given all that he’s gone through, but this is an exciting option for this club and overdue. 

Dumba isn't gonna fix this defense, he's overrated on the basis of a single 50 point season he had 5 seasons ago. He's average height and on the lighter side.

Not remotely interested in Dumba. Minnesota could use a scoring winger, if Boeser were one, but what they desperately need is a second top six center. 

Just now, Coconuts said:

Dumba isn't gonna fix this defense, he's overrated on the basis of a single 50 point season he had 5 seasons ago. He's average height and on the lighter side.

Not remotely interested in Dumba. Minnesota could use a scoring winger, if Boeser were one, but what they desperately need is a second top six center. 

Yeah, for sure, but I’m not taking on Dumba as permanent fixture for this club. I’m taking him on to facilitate moving Brock and his deal, and then using Dumba to facilitate another deal at the deadline which might fetch a really good return. Gotta really manage assets now and accumulate however possible. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Yeah, for sure, but I’m not taking on Dumba as permanent fixture for this club. I’m taking him on to facilitate moving Brock and his deal, and then using Dumba to facilitate another deal at the deadline which might fetch a really good return. Gotta really manage assets now and accumulate however possible. 

Hmm, a flip and flip, I see where you're at. That would be more palatable, and yeah, it'd free up cap. 

I wonder if it's a move Minnesota makes while in cap hell though, or if they'd even have interest in Boeser. They'll always come up because he's a Minny boy but I don't think that matters to the Wild tbh. They don't need to sell the fanbase hometown boys, Minnesota fans love their hockey. 

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

33 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Still , if we are able to keep Dumba and Bear into their next contracts,  perhaps they each keep their level of performance, and sign for a little less becoming our 4 / 5 guys . Still leaving room for better, and prospects to rotate in.

.. the trade option is still as good or better as well.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

If we did bring back Dumba I'd just retain on him and flip him at the deadline tbh, I don't want him but he's still an RD on an expiring deal and if we retain 50% I'm sure we could sell him at 3M

That way we get assets and his expiring cap space 

Bingo Bango Luongo 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 3

19 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If we did bring back Dumba I'd just retain on him and flip him at the deadline tbh, I don't want him but he's still an RD on an expiring deal and if we retain 50% I'm sure we could sell him at 3M

That way we get assets and his expiring cap space 

18 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Bingo Bango Luongo 

Well it seems Bill Guerin was interested in him just before the season,  let’s hope that interest still exists.

• Cheers 2