The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Ilya Mikheyev

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t know about most goals, but he’s going to for certain be top three in TOI.  He will first over the boards on PK, and play top six 5 on 5.  His speed will have him as the zone entry guy on the PP too.  

He paced for more goals than anyone on the Canucks last year not named Bo Horvat (who paced the same) with linemates who had basically no offensive ability and playing 60% dzone starts and 15 mins a game. He matches a Boudreau style of play perfectly, you can't find a faster player in the league (nope, not even McDavid) and he's relentless in puck races, once he's paired with a player with decent offensive capabilities (Petey or Horvat) I only see his goal production increasing, especially if he gets some PP1 time.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Overpayment maybe, but every team has different value for players.  In this case IM is a valuable player for the Canucks, who desperately need players who bring what he does to the table

This! And. I’m sure I read somewhere that there were some higher offers from other teams, but he wanted to come here. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

This guy reminds a litte bit of Jannik Hansen.

Would not mind the AAV if term was only 3 years.

Wanted Marchment but this is ok maybe? Bit of an overpay for a potential 3rd liner unless they think he has top 6 upside.

Hope he can stay healthy and more consistent offensively.

15 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

@N4ZZY

Yep, Hoglander definitely pushed down, same as Pearson. This also allows Podkolzin room to grow if they want to groom him on the third line without the pressure to produce. Good move.

I still think Hogz has big upside and I'm excited to see what he can do but there's no reason to force and assume he's going to get top 6 mins. He works hard and can play a 3rd/4th line role if needed until he get's his confidence back. He just needs to learn how to finish, and hit the net more consistently. He's go loads of talent though, I hope he find that next level. I see Podz higher in the depth chart at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

I think this "Under $5m" is the new 2nd tier money for forwards.

Ilya is probably going to play on the 2nd line; or am I mistaken?

Allvin said he would improve the middle 6 forward group so 2/3rd liner. Right now I would say third liner, the players I have above him are:

Petey

Boeser

Miller

Podkolzin

Horvat

Kuzmenko

Garland

But If two of those players get moved or if one gets moved and they have Miller Bo and Petey all play center than there could be room in the top 6. 

Seems extremely pricey for a third line winger so hopefully they can trade Garland and Miller or they should have used that money to improve the D core/add organizational depth with value contracts on bottom six forwards including a third line center. 

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Allvin said he would improve the middle 6 forward group so 2/3rd liner. Right now I would say third liner, the players I have above him are:

Petey

Boeser

Miller

Podkolzin

Horvat

Kuzmenko

Garland

But If two of those players get moved or if one gets moved and they have Miller Bo and Petey all play center than there could be room in the top 6. 

Seems extremely pricey for a third line winger so hopefully they can trade Garland and Miller or they should have used that money to improve the D core/add organizational depth with value contracts on bottom six forwards including a third line center. 

Boeser

Podz

Kuzmenko

Garland

Are the wingers above Ilya; the rest are centers.

Ilya is already ahead of Podz and Garly (imo, oc) and possibly Kuzmenko as well.

Which puts him squarely into the second line.

Remember when Benning said he wanted to bring in another Russian for Podkolzin - and then he couldn't do it?  Canucks now have 3 Russians. Good job JR/PA. 

I'm going to call it: the Canucks will have one of the best Top 6s in the league next year, and the line of  Kuzmenko - Horvat - Mikheyev will be one of the most dynamic scoring lines.

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

I think this "Under $5m" is the new 2nd tier money for forwards.

Ilya is probably going to play on the 2nd line; or am I mistaken?

Yeah, I was just commenting that it’s not a bargain. It’s the UFA price - but at least it’s for a guy with skills we desperately need and at an age that works. 

Man, no idea how the lines are going to shake down.  Hard to guess if they’re trying to work on a forward for d trade too.  I think he slots onto the 3rd based on skill set but with our roster that should still mean playing with some guys who can produce. 

FWIW he sounds like Jannik Hansen type who can add a speed element to a top line but doesn’t have the offensive instincts / shot to be a natural fit there.  Like Jannik though maybe he can fit in with his forecheck / speed.  One of my all time faves.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, I think it was a little too expensive. But hey, it’s free agency, not going to get a bargain on this day. Though with that being said, Columbus got a bargain for Gaudreau. 

His decision to leave the Flames for Columbus, and leave at least 10M on the table, is crazy. I mean, he’s still set for life, but man, you work so hard to get a good pay day, and he leaves that much money on the table for a team that isn’t a Cup contender, and is (well, before today) worse than Calgary’s team. So many people left the Flames organization, with Gaudreau leading the way. What’s wrong with the club? I guess they’re in the Bedard sweepstakes for next season. They’ll get a good player from the 2023 draft. I can’t see them doing very well next year, so they’ll probably get a top ten pick in a deep draft. Good on them. 

I hope we can get a 1st round pick for Miller. The Miller situation is so….what’s the word, it’s dragging on so long now. Nobody knows what’s going on with Miller’s camp, nobody really knows what’s going on with management on their position with Miller. 

What does day two of free agency bring tomorrow….

Don't get me wrong I think that Mikheyev is exactly what we needed and he will be a good fit for us plus he will help Podz develop more of his game and I think help Kuzmenko adjust to the NHL. 

Yeah, that Gaudreau signing was totally out of left field. Was not expecting that and that too he took a paycut. Must not like Calgary a whole lot if he wanted out and chose Columbus of all places. He's still not close to family though. NJ had the cap space and he rejected their offer. Definitely a head scratcher. Calgary I think will still be good, but not the Division Champs. I think that goes to Edmonton. Chicago on the other hand is definitely tanking for Bedard.

I think with Miller dragging on we won't get a lot back and I'd be very disappointed, but let's see what happens. Just waiting on Kadri to fall then I'm sure we can trade Miller. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah, I was just commenting that it’s not a bargain. It’s the UFA price - but at least it’s for a guy with skills we desperately need and at an age that works. 

Man, no idea how the lines are going to shake down.  Hard to guess if they’re trying to work on a forward for d trade too.  I think he slots onto the 3rd based on skill set but with our roster that should still mean playing with some guys who can produce. 

FWIW he sounds like Jannik Hansen type who can add a speed element to a top line but doesn’t have the offensive instincts / shot to be a natural fit there.  Like Jannik though maybe he can fit in with his forecheck / speed.  One of my all time faves.

This narrative that Mikheyev doesn't have offensive IQ/skills/finish is not fair IMO.

Dude paced for leading the Canucks in goals last year, playing on a line with Kampf as a his C, 15 mins a game with 60 percent dzone starts, got some PP time but nothing consistent. When he had a top-6 role in the KHL paced for 60 points over 82 games, plus 11 points in 13 playoff games.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Boeser

Podz

Kuzmenko

Garland

Are the wingers above Ilya; the rest are centers.

Ilya is already ahead of Podz and Garly (imo, oc) and possibly Kuzmenko as well.

Which puts him squarely into the second line.

I disagree, I think Garland and Kuz are much better fits in a top 6 role and have better offensive skills + are younger. I think its fair to say Ilya is ahead of Podz, but that could change quite quickly if Podz takes the next step this season. 

The best course or action would be to trade Garland and Miller hopefully getting a top 4 RD and 3C back + futures.

Kuzmenko - Petey - Boeser

Podz - Horvat - Mikheyev

Pearson - ??? - Hoglander

Dickinson - Lazar - Lockwood 

Joshua

Hughes - ???

OEL - Myers

Rathbone - Poolman

Dermott - Schenn

13 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Mine too....

The epidemy of making the most of what you got. Desire at its best. I'd take a team of Hansens anyday. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

This narrative that Mikheyev doesn't have offensive IQ/skills/finish is not fair IMO.

Dude paced for leading the Canucks in goals last year, playing on a line with Kampf as a his C, 15 mins a game with 60 percent dzone starts, got some PP time but nothing consistent. When he had a top-6 role in the KHL paced for 60 points over 82 games, plus 11 points in 13 playoff games.

These new forwards are exciting; I'm looking forward to some new line combos, like, Mikky Petey and Kuzie for example.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

If Petey and Boeser are reunited this year then I think they need a strong Puck retrieval forward to complement them. Ideally Podkolzin will be ready to take the next step and fill that role, but if not I think Mikheyev is not a bad plan B.

Agreed that the signing isn't a bargain though.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I disagree, I think Garland and Kuz are much better fits in a top 6 role and have better offensive skills + are younger. I think its fair to say Ilya is ahead of Podz, but that could change quite quickly if Podz takes the next step this season. 

The best course or action would be to trade Garland and Miller hopefully getting a top 4 RD and 3C back + futures.

Kuzmenko - Petey - Boeser

Podz - Horvat - Mikheyev

Pearson - ??? - Hoglander

Dickinson - Lazar - Lockwood 

Joshua

Hughes - ???

OEL - Myers

Rathbone - Poolman

Dermott - Schenn

So you disagree he's a second line winger; and then, drop him onto the second line?  Got it Pav.