The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Ilya Mikheyev

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

I think the Canucks management are fine with just letting this ride.  And I’m kinda cool with it too.  As long as we get something for him at the trade dead line, or we lose him for nothing.  But in the mean time …HOLLA!  

Kuzmenko - JT. Miller - Boeser

Garland - Pettersson - Mikheyev

Hoglander - Horvat - Podkolzin 

Lockwood -Lazar - Pearson 

Never had this much depth of talent especially in the top 9

We cannot afford to lose Miller for nothing. We criticized Benning for losing players for nothing. They just walked away as free agents without getting anything for them leading up to the Trade Deadline. What would be different with this management group if they did the same thing with one of our largest assets? 

Miller needs to be moved before then. There’s so much variables if JT is still here during the season. What if he gets injured during the season? What if the team is in playoff contention? Do they trade JT at that time

The only way for this team to improve its backend is with Miller. Who else do they have that could bring back a good young player besides the core pieces like Petey, Hughes, Demko, etc. Those guys aren’t being traded. They are the current core to move this team forward, unless management thinks we’re in for another rebuild? But that’s not the sense that I’ve received with Rutherford and Allvin. Seems to me like they want to be competitive and they want to win this upcoming season and push for playoff contention. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

I think the Canucks management are fine with just letting this ride.  And I’m kinda cool with it too.  As long as we get something for him at the trade dead line, or we lose him for nothing.  But in the mean time …HOLLA!  

Is that group not over the cap?

2 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Who on the that top line is going to backcheck?

I like horvat with hogz and podz tho.

3 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

If we keep this group around then I think Boudreau runs 3 lines again.  And Petey and Mikheyev would be on separate lines as they are the two best defensive players out of the top 9 forwards.

Mikheyev     Miller            Boeser

Kuzmenko   Pettersson    Podkolzin

Pearson       Horvat          Garland

Dickinson    Lazar            Lockwood

Mikheyev needs to play with Miller to cover for him defensively.  I like Petey with the Russians as Kuzmenko adds alot of skill to that line.  Horvat would be the 3C with his buddy Pearson.  There isn't any room for Hoglander and he's a waste on the 4th line.  So he would be the odd man out.  We'd have great depth.  

The problem is the defence.  If we can flip Garland for Marino and then play Hoglander on the 3rd line that would give us some pretty good balance overall.

Mikheyev      Miller             Boeser

Kuzmenko    Pettersson    Podkolzin

Pearson       Horvat           Hoglander

Dickinson     Lazar            Lockwood

Hughes       Marino

OEL            Myers

Rathbone   Schenn

Demko   Martin

That team would be good enough to make the playoffs, so then the problem becomes how do we trade Miller at the TDL when we are in a playoff spot?  Would Aquilini sanction the trade?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we keep this group around then I think Boudreau runs 3 lines again.  And Petey and Mikheyev would be on separate lines as they are the two best defensive players out of the top 9 forwards.

Mikheyev needs to play with Miller to cover for him defensively.  I like Petey with the Russians as Kuzmenko adds alot of skill to that line.  Horvat would be the 3C with his buddy Pearson.  There isn't any room for Hoglander and he's a waste on the 4th line.  So he would be the odd man out.  We'd have great depth.  

The problem is the defence.  If we can flip Garland for Marino and then play Hoglander on the 3rd line that would give us some pretty good balance overall.

Hughes       Marino

OEL            Myers

Rathbone   Schenn

Demko   Martin

That team would be good enough to make the playoffs, so then the problem becomes how do we trade Miller at the TDL when we are in a playoff spot?  Would Aquilini sanction the trade?

That defense is soft af and is going to get wrecked.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, EddieVedder said:

That defense is soft af and is going to get wrecked.

I agree, but it's what we have now plus Marino.  Unless there is a better trade option for Garland I don't see how we can improve the defence without trading Miller.  So unless Miller is traded our defence won't get much better.  Manson would have been the perfect partner for Hughes.  Is there another Manson type out there?

4 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

The speed Mikheyev brings will open up so many more options for Pettersson.  He will give Pettersson so much more time and space through his speed.  Mikheyev will give no time for the opposing defence to react they’ll end up backing right up on top of their goalie.  Mikheyev’s is dangerous not because of his points he scores, it’s his speed that opens up lanes for our creative players to create. If Bruce puts Mikheyev with Pettersson he’ll have a lot more time and space 

Let's hope this is correct. My concern is is tenaciousness and his ability to make those millisecond "smart" plays instinctively. Yanik Hanson had the speed. heart, but couldn't keep up with the big time out of your seat rushes you see with the big boys. Mason Raymond was even faster, but lacked even more. Speed is non negotiable in todays game, and your best chance to make the bigs, but if your brain and hands can't keep up with it, you'll be a valuable 3rd-4th liner on numerous teams for around 8 years... I'd still take that life anytime lol.. My hope is something semi close to another Dylan Larkin. 

This should be one of our better forward groups we've iced since 2011, liking that 4th line.

I think the real wildcard is, is this the season Petey and Brock put it all together and truly breakout for a full 82?

I fully expect JT to not only remain but continue to excel and we saw in games where both Petey and JT were at their best teams really didn't have an answer.

The D has questions no doubt but hopefully a full season of  TD and Rathbone help along with better luck health wise.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

If Miller is with us next season I think we run with our three bog boppers down the middle.

Mikheyev Miller Garland 

Pods, Petey, Boeser

Pearson, Bo, Kuzmenko 

Joshua, Lazar, Hogs

Ya Alvin has said this 

52 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree, but it's what we have now plus Marino.  Unless there is a better trade option for Garland I don't see how we can improve the defence without trading Miller.  So unless Miller is traded our defence won't get much better.  Manson would have been the perfect partner for Hughes.  Is there another Manson type out there?

Get Hoglander and Dickinson out for a D. 

23 hours ago, lmm said:

Pearson is like Schenn

penciled in on the 4th line or 4th D pairing

until play starts then moves up the line up because they bring what others can't

I like Pearson on the team, but if I'm honest, there are other players who can do what he can at a lower price.  The fact that he can play up and down the lineup is really helpful.  I hope he sticks.....but then I also hope Miller signs a $7M/yr x 5 year contract (ha!).  Dreaming I know.

8 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

Get Hoglander and Dickinson out for a D. 

What NHL team is going to give up a decent defenceman for those Two? They barely can, or will make our team this year. Better up the ante X10 if you even want a sniff at a top 4 dman. Most teams only have 3 max top quality D on there opening line up, if one gets injured they have 2. Moral of the story, a few solid D men are available, but not available for exchange with below average players that are uncertain to play on a mid average team... 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, VanCan2023 said:

What NHL team is going to give up a decent defenceman for those Two? They barely can, or will make our team this year. Better up the ante X10 if you even want a sniff at a top 4 dman. Most teams only have 3 max top quality D on there opening line up, if one gets injured they have 2. Moral of the story, a few solid D men are available, but not available for exchange with below average players that are uncertain to play on a mid average team... 

Unless traded, I can't see Hogz not making this team.  He better bring some consistent tenacity though or he's out.

3 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Unless traded, I can't see Hogz not making this team.  He better bring some consistent tenacity though or he's out.

Is he waiver eligible? 

7 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Considering his tenure and experience, along with your uncertainty in his unproven consistency to stay relevant = a below average player. Not saying he always will be, I hope and pray he makes me eat humble pie and wins the Conn Smythe. However up and until then my statement remains even pee-wee herman wouldn't agree to a Hog and Dicky for a decencent dman trade.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hughes       Marino

OEL            Myers

Rathbone   Schenn

Demko   Martin

If we end up keeping Miller the I like your lineup more.  He will create a lot of scoring chances for Petey on the PK

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I think if he isn’t traded he‘s gonna be the first call up from Abby since he still has a year waiver exemption left I think. 

• Cheers 1