The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ilya Mikheyev | #65 | RW

-AJ-

I hope Mikheyev starts in our top-6, he deserved it last year. I'd like to see Podkolzin get a shot alongside Miller and Petey on the top line and Mikheyev with Bo and Kuzmenko to start. I know that leaves Boeser on the 3rd line but we've got some healthy competition now on the wing, and whoever is scoring more will get top-6 minutes. Mikheyev looks like a streaky scorer as most of these young wingers are but if we keep Garland somehow, we've got essentially 3 very good streaky RWs who will surely just rotate around the top-6. 

10 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I hope Mikheyev starts in our top-6, he deserved it last year. I'd like to see Podkolzin get a shot alongside Miller and Petey on the top line and Mikheyev with Bo and Kuzmenko to start. I know that leaves Boeser on the 3rd line but we've got some healthy competition now on the wing, and whoever is scoring more will get top-6 minutes. Mikheyev looks like a streaky scorer as most of these young wingers are but if we keep Garland somehow, we've got essentially 3 very good streaky RWs who will surely just rotate around the top-6. 

I'd be interested to see how he performs in the top six, but I have a feeling he will be used more for defense than offense and his numbers will suffer somewhat as a result. I wouldn't be surprised if he only gets 30-35 points in a full year, playing on the third line.

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'd be interested to see how he performs in the top six, but I have a feeling he will be used more for defense than offense and his numbers will suffer somewhat as a result. I wouldn't be surprised if he only gets 30-35 points in a full year, playing on the third line.

Agreed, I think it'll depend on how our top 6 are scoring.

Almost 5M for a defensive 3rd line winger is a bit much though and CDC will call for his/management's head if he doesn't score at least 20 goals, but I think you're right, Bruce may deploy him the way he does OEL and Myers and their cap hits won't reflect the hard defensive work they do, but they'll be extremely valuable.

Pearson and Mikheyev on a 3rd line with a center (Lazar, Dickinson, Bo even?) would be a tough line to play against who can score from time to time.

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, -AJ- said:

He will get a top 6 opportunity in Van that he really didn't get in Lafferville. If he can continue his scoring pace that he had late season and in playoffs the Canucks might have a real homerun. If he does not I can see him as a solid 3LW option. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

He will get a top 6 opportunity in Van that he really didn't get in Lafferville. If he can continue his scoring pace that he had late season and in playoffs the Canucks might have a real homerun. If he does not I can see him as a solid 3LW option. 

Yup.  Mikheyev is a cant miss signing.  He’s going to be a 20 minute guy who helps the club win when he’s on the ice.  He will play 5 on 5 with Petey and Bess, and be the first forward over the boards on the PK.  LOSER LEAFS lose again! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Mikheyev is a cant miss signing.  He’s going to be a 20 minute guy who helps the club win when he’s on the ice.  He will play 5 on 5 with Petey and Bess, and be the first forward over the boards on the PK.  LOSER LEAFS lose again! 

I doubt he'll play 20 minutes per game. Miller was the only Canuck to play over 20 minutes a game last year--forwards rarely play that much unless they're superstars who play all roles.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I doubt he'll play 20 minutes per game. Miller was the only Canuck to play over 20 minutes a game last year--forwards rarely play that much unless they're superstars who play all roles.

Mikheyev is a superstar!

We stole him from the LOSER LEAFS.  That team is going to miss what Mikheyev does a great deal.  

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

He'll play over 20minutes. He'll be on the 1a/1b line plus pk and 2ndPP(at worst). He'll get 20min

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

He'll play over 20minutes. He'll be on the 1a/1b line plus pk and 2ndPP(at worst). He'll get 20min

Pettersson starting penalty killing at the end of the year in addition to PP time, so he was doing both roles and a 1st line centre. He averaged 18:54 per game from Feb 1 to the end of the year. Mikheyev has never played more than 16 minutes per game in the NHL. There's almost a 0% chance he plays 20 minutes a game unless he suddenly scores at a 1st line rate, like Miller, unless you think Mikheyev is better than Horvat, Pettersson, etc.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Pettersson starting penalty killing at the end of the year in addition to PP time, so he was doing both roles and a 1st line centre. He averaged 18:54 per game from Feb 1 to the end of the year. Mikheyev has never played more than 16 minutes per game in the NHL. There's almost a 0% chance he plays 20 minutes a game unless he suddenly scores at a 1st line rate, like Miller, unless you think Mikheyev is better than Horvat, Pettersson, etc.

Mikheyev is going to take hard minutes from Miller, Bo, and Petey.  Both in D zone starts and on the PK.  He’s a brilliant player, who the LISER LEAFS are going to greatly miss.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Mikheyev is going to take hard minutes from Miller, Bo, and Petey.  Both in D zone starts and on the PK.  He’s a brilliant player, who the LISER LEAFS are going to greatly miss.  

You think he'll play more than Miller next year? If he takes some of Miller's minutes, Miller could drop below 20 mins per game.

Just now, -AJ- said:

You think he'll play more than Miller next year? If he takes some of Miller's minutes, Miller could drop below 20 mins per game.

JR already said several times he felt Miller played too many minutes last year.  So, yes. Miller will not be playing so many hard minutes.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JR already said several times he felt Miller played too many minutes last year.  So, yes. Miller will not be playing so many hard minutes.  

Do you think MIkheyev will be the best forward on the Canucks next year, playing the most minutes on the team?

from today:

13. Vancouver Canucks

Wins Added: 1.3 wins

Salary Added: $4.3 million

In: Ilya Mikheyev, Dakota Joshua, Collin Delia, Curtis Lazar

Out: Brad Hunt, Jaroslav Halak, Matthew Highmore

Over the last three years, here’s how Vancouver ranks in suppressing chances on the penalty kill: 31st, 25th, 26th. In two of those years the Canucks were able to mask some deficiencies with strong goaltending, but not last year. It’s a constant source of stress for the team which is what made this year’s big signing so intriguing. Ilya Mikheyev was one of Toronto’s best penalty killers last season, especially from a ‘power-kill’ perspective, being on the ice for 4.1 goals-per-60 and 2.5 expected goals-per-60. For reference, the Canucks generated 2.4 expected goals-per-60 at five-on-five last year.

Mikheyev himself is worth around 1.5 wins so he’s the whole reason Vancouver ranks this high. On top of his penalty-killing ability, he showed a decent scoring touch last year while also providing strong defense. A really strong addition for the Canucks that really bolsters its top nine.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

from today:

Really he is exactly the player we needed. Middle-6 defense-first speedy grinder that can help the PK.

I just don't know if the contract will bring surplus value, but it may be worth it anyway just because of how perfect the fit is.

We'll see. I know a lot of people think he has untapped potential but I don't know if the skill he lacks will magically emerge.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1