The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ilya Mikheyev | #65 | RW

-AJ-

3 hours ago, Muttley said:

Encouraging. If he can run down that there Oiler dude, (what's his name), and come out on top.

I remember when Virtanen beat out McDavid, but honestly that one was at the end of a shift for McDavid and Virtanen had the earlier start. This one looks pretty fair for both parties. Crazy how fast he is.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2022 at 7:36 AM, Alflives said:

Yup.  Mikheyev is a cant miss signing.  He’s going to be a 20 minute guy who helps the club win when he’s on the ice.  He will play 5 on 5 with Petey and Bess, and be the first forward over the boards on the PK.  LOSER LEAFS lose again! 

Mikheyev 27 - 6'3 , 195 lbs - Fantastic speed will create lots of scoring chances and great on PK

Gp 75 - G 21 -- PTS 52--54-- AVG 15--17  mins

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

I hope Ilya asks one day for right interpretation of his last name like Dmitri Zlodeev did (without that odd letter "y"):

Zlodeyev -> Zlodeev

Mikheyev -> Mikheev 

I also noticed that in all the Russian TV clips of Kuzmenko posted elsewhere on these boards that the announcers' pronunciation of his name in Russian is more Kuzmenka than Kuzmenko.  If that's accurate, I'm not sure that many Vancouver media types could be convinced to pronounce the final 'o' in his name as an 'a' though.

1 hour ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I also noticed that in all the Russian TV clips of Kuzmenko posted elsewhere on these boards that the announcers' pronunciation of his name in Russian is more Kuzmenka than Kuzmenko.  If that's accurate, I'm not sure that many Vancouver media types could be convinced to pronounce the final 'o' in his name as an 'a' though.

Reminds me of the kerfuffle with the pronunciation of "Pettersson". Even though they way we pronounce it now is closer to the SWE way, it's still not quite the same. I kind of enjoy trying to pronounce players' names in their original language if it's feasible for an NA speaker like me.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

If it like Slovenian (They are both Slavic), then nouns change depending on what is being said such as location, negative, place etc.... In Slovenian, nouns change 18 times. It is something called Sklons.

So, Kuzmenko is his name. Kuzmenka is his name in a different Sklon.