The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ilya Mikheyev | #65 | RW

-AJ-

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

That was hard to watch. Mikheyev spoke from the heart. Quality guy. Get the operation done, rehab and come back in September. Like this kid. 

A healthy Mikheyev playing on a line with Petey and Kuzmenko is going to be a fun one to watch next year. This is probably the only line that stays intact. Most likely some players are brought in and others moved out on all the other lines. Rumors out there that Toronto GM is in town looking to make a deal. Do not see much that would make sense unless it is a swap of Nylander for Boesser and not sure I like that trade

Edited by Kootenay Gold
  • Cheers 2

• 2 months later...

I hope MIkheyev's rehab for his knee is going well. Would be nice if it was healed up for training camp next season. 

edit if his surgery was in early Feb, then he could be out until 2024 There is typically a long recovery period of 6 to 12 months before an athlete can return to sports that involve running and cutting. Range of motion into both flexion (bending the knee) and extension (straightening of the knee) are major priorities to ensure a progression toward strengthening at the appropriate pace.

Edited by kenhodgejr
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One thing I noticed with Mikheyev last year that seems to be an anomaly is how infrequently he hit. He still had great defensive positioning and awareness, but he was only hitting at ~.25 hits/game and 1 hit/60 minutes which is half the rate of Boeser and Garland last year. Usually he's closer to 1 hit/game so I'm hoping it was him being cautious of his knee and we see him engage a bit more physically this year. He clearly doesn't need to be a wrecking ball to be effective, but it would still be nice to see a bit more physicality. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2023 at 11:10 AM, Diamonds said:

One thing I noticed with Mikheyev last year that seems to be an anomaly is how infrequently he hit. He still had great defensive positioning and awareness, but he was only hitting at ~.25 hits/game and 1 hit/60 minutes which is half the rate of Boeser and Garland last year. Usually he's closer to 1 hit/game so I'm hoping it was him being cautious of his knee and we see him engage a bit more physically this year. He clearly doesn't need to be a wrecking ball to be effective, but it would still be nice to see a bit more physicality. 

Good points.

Wonder if we see him take over PDG’s spot one the 2nd line, or back with Petey and Kuz?

He’s an ideal matchup winger, with the speed to check McDavid, so maybe he ends up on whatever line is used for matchups (2nd or even 3rd)?

On 7/28/2023 at 11:10 AM, Diamonds said:

I get that, and I agree, but that’s not his game. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

I get that, and I agree, but that’s not his game. 

Yeah, he was billed as a burner with great defence, and untapped offence. Excited to see him at full speed this season, and curious which line he finds a home on…

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2023 at 11:12 AM, Ted Lasso said:

Yeah, he was billed as a burner with great defence, and untapped offence. Excited to see him at full speed this season, and curious which line he finds a home on…

I feel he is very Jannik Hansen’ish. 
Amazing top speed and motor. 
Great defensively and on the forecheck and back check he is awesome. 
Not the greatest hands, but I’d put with great players, he can keep his stick on the ice and get to good areas of the ice.  

My guess would be to play him back with Petey and Kuz. 
He is too fast to play with Boeser or Miller, and would prob be a waste on a 3-4 line 

19 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Not the greatest hands, but I’d put with great players, he can keep his stick on the ice and get to good areas of the ice.  

He is too fast to play with Boeser or Miller, and would prob be a waste on a 3-4 line 

I can see that comparison, but with somewhat better hands/skill.

He might make sense on the 3rd if it’s built as a matchup line:

Pearson/PDG - Suter - Mikheyev

That would free up the second line to focus on scoring

3 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

I would say he has more offensive upside than Hansen, but otherwise I agree.