The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Michael DiPietro

42 minutes ago, Devron said:

Yeah it’s tight for everyone. You get accustomed to a certain lifestyle. With inflation I bet many people are struggling. Got to make the proper adjustments myself included. It’s funny. I separated from my wife a few months ago. It’s been real tough man but then I meet other dudes like yourself and it’s kinda like giving them a nod. Hey we aren’t alone and that’s pretty cool,

Through all the bickering, disagreements, hopes n disappointments, this is our year, ok maybe next year, 3-4 years is our window, luv our gm and coach, hate our gm and coach, list goes on and on and we wouldn't want it any other way. I'm an Alberta boy born and raised still here, but as a young and dumb 8 year old in '84 I become a Van fan cause those flying V jerseys were imo the best lol. It's a struggle here to, and i'll speak for the other provinces east and say they agree. Life is tougher than ever, unfortunately will not be improving either. Live the best and most honest life you can, and if a form with a bunch of wannabe gm's that know everything takes away lifes pressure for a bit then speak like Tortilla and have fun with it. Thanks for opening up... We are all Canucks.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

Yea, it's 51k.

4 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

This is what I love about AHL hockey players. Most guys out there are making 70 k, ECHL guys make around 30-40 K on average. These guys play their guts out for the love of hockey and get paid nothing compared to the NHL. And the skill level of all these AHLers is too far off from the NHL. Nothing but respect for them.

As for Mikey D, this will motivate him for next years RFA. Big year for him coming up. Glad we didn’t trade him. To me he has the skill to do it. He has been derailed by Covid worse than most of our prospects. 2 years worth of set backs essentially. Give him another 2 years and he will be pushing for a back up role I think. He’s got such a good team mentality I think he’s a perfect NHL back up once refined. 

Good comments.  When I checked out salaries in the AHL and ECHL I was surprised at how low they are. relative to the NHL. (And, the AHL is much better than the ECHL). Also, the Euro leagues, except for the KHL, have surprisingly low salaries. I think the SHL is kind of comparable to the AHL and the other leagues, except for the KHL all pay less.  Salaries in the KHL are a lot higher but, even  there, only a handful of elite players get up to the million dollar level.  

The money in an NHL contract is in U.S. dollars, So 70K translates into 91K Canadian dollars. For a young single guy living in Abby, that is not bad. But, as @Attila Umbrus says, these guy work hard to earn pretty modest incomes. I am really impressed by the ECHL guys, who earn less than they would in most regular jobs and have very little chance of getting a big payday by making in the NHL (apart from a few goalies). 

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Devron said:

Yeah first thought that popped into my head was I wouldn’t be able to make it at 70k a year but that’s in the North and with a separated family, 2 kids. 

Makes sense for a single guy, just playing hockey. In my mind though management cheaped out on this kid 

My guess is they are challenging Mikey D to say, are you an AHL goalie or are you an NHL goalie? Now is the time to show us. Because after this 70 k a year will be his norm if he doesn’t turn things around. Good motivator that’s for sure. Every challenge this kid faces he seems to over come tho, so I still see upside with him. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, JamesB said:

Good comments.  When I checked out salaries in the AHL and ECHL I was surprised at how low they are. relative to the NHL. (And, the AHL is much better than the ECHL). Also, the Euro leagues, except for the KHL, have surprisingly low salaries. I think the SHL is kind of comparable to the AHL and the other leagues, except for the KHL all pay less.  Salaries in the KHL are a lot higher but, even  there, only a handful of elite players get up to the million dollar level.  

The money in an NHL contract is in U.S. dollars, So 70K translates into 91K Canadian dollars. For a young single guy living in Abby, that is not bad. But, as @Attila Umbrus says, these guy work hard to earn pretty modest incomes. I am really impressed by the ECHL guys, who earn less than they would in most regular jobs and have very little chance of getting a big payday by making in the NHL (apart from a few goalies). 

Cheers James, great post. Hockey is a tough sport. These guys beat themselves up year after year for the love of the game. And honestly it’s great hockey to watch. I’ve been watching AHL for years now and it’s great pro hockey to digest. I also used to go to a lot of Victoria Salmon Kings games back in the day too, they were an ECHL club. That was also surprisingly good hockey to watch. But noticeably a step down from AHL talent wise…but man, so many fights and scraps. It was very entertaining.

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Welcome to vancouver bro. Stay off hastings n main

Be careful of Alf lurking in the alleys there.  He might be old but he swings a pretty mean walking cane.  The notches on his cane?  He records his knockouts.:o  He’s got a turbo charged motorized wheelchair to make a hasty escape.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Cheers James, great post. Hockey is a tough sport. These guys beat themselves up year after year for the love of the game. And honestly it’s great hockey to watch. I’ve been watching AHL for years now and it’s great pro hockey to digest. I also used to go to a lot of Victoria Salmon Kings games back in the day too, they were an ECHL club. That was also surprisingly good hockey to watch. But noticeably a step down from AHL talent wise…but man, so many fights and scraps. It was very entertaining.

Are you old enough to have seen Victoria Cougar games back when Curt Fraser was the Captain?  I’m asking because I wonder if Fraser got into any scraps with Smyl while the later was Captain of that team.  I’ve seen YouTube videos of Fraser taking on a few goons on that Bruins squad (lol, those Bruins fought like the Philadelphia Flyers of the 70s, you fight one guy & a bunch more will jump you).

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, x00x said:

has to be a missprint? maybe 700k? 70k like wtf .....no way he woulda accepted that

Players have different salary structure if they are in the minors. It's alot less. so it's likely 70k in Abbotsford and 750 if he's with the big club.

Edited by Harold Drunken

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Are you old enough to have seen Victoria Cougar games back when Curt Fraser was the Captain?  I’m asking because I wonder if Fraser got into any scraps with Smyl while the later was Captain of that team.  I’ve seen YouTube videos of Fraser taking on a few goons on that Bruins squad (lol, those Bruins fought like the Philadelphia Flyers of the 70s, you fight one guy & a bunch more will jump you).

No but I would have loved to see that lol. I lived in Victoria for 10 years. After the Salmon Kings left the Royals took their place. Great hockey but there was a noticeable difference between junior hockey and the mens pro leagues, so I didn’t get into it much.

Side note, got into the Victoria Shamrocks and went out to Colwood lots to watch them play. Lotsa good scraps there! Got me loving lacrosse again!

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Disappointing end to his time here I was really rooting for him. Seems like a high character guy.

Very hard for smaller goalies to make the NHL nowadays though. Shooters are just too good and you have to be extremely athletic to overcome it.

Mikey D for Arvid Holm?

Two goalies drafted in 2017. Mikey taken 3rd round, Holm taken 6th. Both RFAs next year. Both struggling with their respective clubs could use a change. Neither team would have to take on an additional contract. Holm fits mold of Clark successes, steady positioning, larger frame. Few other SHL players making their debuts in Abby, might feel more familar (Aman, Johansson, Karlsson).

1 minute ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

Mikey D for Arvid Holm?

Two goalies drafted in 2017. Mikey taken 3rd round, Holm taken 6th. Both RFAs next year. Both struggling with their respective clubs could use a change. Neither team would have to take on an additional contract. Holm fits mold of Clark successes, steady positioning, larger frame. Few other SHL players making their debuts in Abby, might feel more familar (Aman, Johansson, Karlsson).

Interesting, but I think Mikey has value as sugar to dumperoo a Benning mistake.  Dickinson + Mikey?  

Just now, Alflives said:

Interesting, but I think Mikey has value as sugar to dumperoo a Benning mistake.  Dickinson + Mikey?  

Mikey is not sugar Alfy. Management hasn't been able to find a new team for him, so they're letting the agent negotiate possible scenarios. He'll either bring back future considerations, a conditional 7th or another contract.

1 minute ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

Mikey is not sugar Alfy. Management hasn't been able to find a new team for him, so they're letting the agent negotiate possible scenarios. He'll either bring back future considerations, a conditional 7th or another contract.

Agent finds a taker and we dumperoo Dickinson with Mikey.  

5 minutes ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

with the cost of cap space this off-season there's way Dickie is a straight dump, and Mikey will not move the needle at all. Sry

No reason to trade Mikey then.  Keep him if he isn’t sugar. 

be lucky to get a mid round pick or prospect in a similar situation. Never liked the selection at the time, yes due to his size. wish him the best of luck, the old regime messed up his development when eh almost didnt play a game for a whole year, covid not an excuse in my books

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Agent finds a taker and we dumperoo Dickinson with Mikey.  

Excluding CAP hit I am hesitant to move Dickenson prior to camp or even 20 games, Alf. I want to see how he plays under BB after a camp. I think his time under Green really impacted his confidence. That said with the additions to the forward group I'm not sure where his TOI will be?  

• Vintage 1

Just now, Boudrias said:

Excluding CAP hit I am hesitant to move Dickenson prior to camp or even 20 games, Alf. I want to see how he plays under BB after a camp. I think his time under Green really impacted his confidence. That said with the additions to the forward group I'm not sure where his TOI will be?  

Dickinson is clearly a better player than he showed last year.  But if we can clear his contract and the only cost is adding

Mikey D, then that’s getting (IMHAO) the best value out of Mikey.  

Or we add Mikey to Pearson to clear him off the books?  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1