The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets re-sign Patrik Laine

20 minutes ago, mll said:

Not every team puts the same value on PP points vs 5v5.  Laviolette says that you can only practice about 15-20% of offensive situations - PP being one of them.  Can't really teach 5v5 offence while PP is more systems dependent.  In one of the draft videos you can hear the scouts point out that a prospect's points weren't PP driven but at 5v5 which they clearly felt was more valuable.

So what I'm hearing is Garland is better than both!

• Haha 2

On 7/22/2022 at 12:56 PM, Devron said:

Weird they have pretty close to the same career totals. What am I missing? 

On 7/22/2022 at 12:57 PM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Youre right, Laine is an even bigger liability without the puck on his stick than Boeser. Talk about 1 dimensional, cant drive the play kind of player. I'd rather have Boeser every day of the week

Laine is a far better goal scorer. I would take Laine in a heartbeat. He may get 50 in Van with Pettersson. 

On 7/22/2022 at 5:55 PM, stawns said:

20-21 was a terrible season for Laine, no one disputes that, but take that outlier out and he is an elite goal scorer in the NHL.  I'd bet every penny I have that pretty much every GM in the league would take Laine over Boeser.

All that said, I think the contract he just signed is an overpayment

On 7/22/2022 at 5:59 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Thanks for that. Laine is absolutely horrendous on defence. If Brock can get to 35 goals next year then he will be the better overall player regardless of how many goals Laine scores with little Johnny. 

Talk about homer Canuck fans lol. They're both one dimensional goal scorers and Laine is far more prolific and the no brainer choice. Can't believe people are actually trying to argue this. :picard:

HOMERS!!!

28 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Laine is a far better goal scorer. I would take Laine in a heartbeat. He may get 50 in Van with Pettersson. 

Their goals per game are quite similar throughout their careers (0.43 for Laine, .37 for Boeser). Boeser actually plays on the boards and is getting better defensively every year. Laine is useless without the puck. I'll keep Boeser and thank my lucky stars you're not our GM

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Talk about homer Canuck fans lol. They're both one dimensional goal scorers and Laine is far more prolific and the no brainer choice. Can't believe people are actually trying to argue this. :picard:

HOMERS!!!

And Laine is still hugely overpaid for what he brings, but he is a legit 40 goal guy I guess.

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

HOMERS!!!

What’s wrong with being a big time fan (homer) of our team?  It’s our “home” board, right?

Just now, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Their goals per game are quite similar throughout their careers (0.43 for Laine, .37 for Boeser). Boeser actually plays on the boards and is getting better defensively every year. Laine is useless without the puck. I'll keep Boeser and thank my lucky stars you're not our GM

Whatever floats your boat man. Boeser is beyond useless without the puck as well and was absolute rubbish defensively last year. I have no clue what you were watching.  Anyone with basic hockey knowledge knows that Laine is a prolific goal scorer and the better option if you have a choice. CDC :lol:

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Whatever floats your boat man. Boeser is beyond useless without the puck as well and was absolute rubbish defensively last year. I have no clue what you were watching.  Anyone with basic hockey knowledge knows that Laine is a prolific goal scorer and the better option if you have a choice. CDC :lol:

Facts, already posted here, don’t support your Columbus Blue Jacket fan view.  

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

And Laine is still hugely overpaid for what he brings, but he is a legit 40 goal guy I guess.

Yeah goals = money. I don't necessarily agree. Just like the difference between 60 points and 80 points is worth way more than a 25% pay increase.

When it comes to pure goal scoring clearly Laine is the guy you want. Is it worth $2 mil is another question entirely. I would probably say yes in their situation. 

Yeah goals = money. I don't necessarily agree. Just like the difference between 60 points and 80 points is worth way more than a 25% pay increase.

When it comes to pure goal scoring clearly Laine is the guy you want. Is it worth $2 mil is another question entirely. I would probably say yes in their situation. 

Boeser at 6.5 is a far better value than Laine at 8.5.  That’s supported by facts.  Your opinion is one from a CBJ fan wearing his homer glasses. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

The better option if they have the same cap hit... maybe? Still debatable. The better option when Laine makes 2 mil more than Boeser? Hell no.

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What’s wrong with being a big time fan (homer) of our team?  It’s our “home” board, right?

Nothing wrong with it but I personally don't like being incorrect for any reason. Home board or not ... it's just hockey no skin off my back. I'd rather be correct and honest than pat myself on the back all day while living in some sort of self delusion.

For me this isn't really that important in the big scheme of things that I need to lie to myself. It really shouldn't matter to us that Laine is better than Boeser.

• Cheers 1

Nothing wrong with it but I personally don't like being incorrect for any reason. Home board or not ... it's just hockey no skin off my back. I'd rather be correct and honest than pat myself on the back all day while living in some sort of self delusion.

For me this isn't really that important in the big scheme of things that I need to lie to myself. It really shouldn't matter to us that Laine is better than Boeser.

Kind of ironic that you take pride in being correct but when facts proving you’re wrong (on this matter) don’t register.

That’s a homer bias for CBJ. 

3 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

The better option if they have the same cap hit... maybe? Still debatable. The better option when Laine makes 2 mil more than Boeser? Hell no.

The original post had nothing to do with cap hit though. You may be right regarding $$ but if I'm in Columbus' shoes I'm going Laine all day long to play with JG. He's a better 5v5 goal scorer.

For us we couldn't afford to even ponder it so I'm happy enough with Boeser, and the extra cap. Who knows maybe Boeser gets 35 this year.

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

The original post had nothing to do with cap hit though. You may be right regarding $$ but if I'm in Columbus' shoes I'm going Laine all day long to play with JG. He's a better 5v5 goal scorer.

For us we couldn't afford to even ponder it so I'm happy enough with Boeser, and the extra cap. Who knows maybe Boeser gets 35 this year.

I thought the entire debate was how Laine at 8.7 made Boeser at 6.65 a much more digestible contract, which it did. A healthy Boeser recharging after that emotional episode in his life gets 35 beside any of Petey Bo or Miller imo. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Just now, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I thought the entire debate was how Laine at 8.7 made Boeser at 6.65 a much more digestible contract, which it did. A healthy Boeser recharging after that emotional episode in his life gets 35 beside any of Petey Bo or Miller imo. Let's keep our fingers crossed. 

When the money is involved its definitely debatable for sure. I don't think any GM chooses Boeser over Laine straight up. That's just silly which is what I was commenting on. 

Yes it will be very interesting to see how Boes does. I will definitely 100% be rooting for him. I'm a big fan of him as a person and I think this could be a giant motivator on the ice as well. Here's hoping for 35+ !!!

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Both boeser and Laine are floaters without the puck. Literally bring nothing to the team. But they both have a killer shot when it's on. Laine is a weird one, He only shoots from horrible low percentage perimeter area.. But that's his bread and butter lol

Boeser just wait for the puck to land on his stick during the PP.

But I think boeser can show alot more now that he can work toward some closure after dealing with the family stuff 

Edited by Mustard Tiger
  • Cheers 1