The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets re-sign Patrik Laine

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

JT would be good there, maybe

for Andrew Peeke and Liam Foudy?  

Columbus is pretty rich with prospects, but I don't see them trading Jiricek, Mateychuk, Johnson or Sillinger.

To be honest, I have no idea how that team will deploy the forwards. Gudbranson, Laine, JG are the big signings, extensions this summer. I'm not really a fan of any of them, lol.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rekker said:

To be honest, I have no idea how that team will deploy the forwards. Gudbranson, Laine, JG are the big signings, extensions this summer. I'm not really a fan of any of them, lol.

Do they have a superstar goalie?  Because they are definitely going to need one.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Do they have a superstar goalie?  Because they are definitely going to need one.  

Elvis can steal the odd game but you have to have at the very least average defence to have a chance. Kinda like the Canucks. Our defence isn’t horrible but it’s pretty average. It’s Enough for Demko to win us games regularly 

7 minutes ago, Devron said:

Elvis can steal the odd game but you have to have at the very least average defence to have a chance. Kinda like the Canucks. Our defence isn’t horrible but it’s pretty average. It’s Enough for Demko to win us games regularly 

Elvis?

spacer.png

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

Laines totals are skewed by an awful year two seasons ago, last year he's ppg.  You take BB , a 20+ goal scorer and I'll take Laine, who is an actual 30 goal scorer (twice) and a 40 goal scorer (once).

You are blaming his career numbers on 1 covid shortened season? Yikes! Career stats are career stats. No need to cherry pick. They are almost identical in points per game over their entire career and that's a fact.

As for you taking Laine on your team? You better have a lot of cap space to fit his 8.7 million cap hit. If you do your team probably isn't that good.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, stawns said:

That was an outlier season in his short career so far ........Boeser has steadily declined she nce his rookie season.

This could be correlated with the deteriorating health of his father over the years. That had to weigh heavily on Brock. Seeing someone you love fade like that is just awful. I just hope Brock has been able to find some peace knowing that his father is no longer suffering.

I think Brock will be an impact player for us going forward. He needs to work on elements of his game (get his shot back, improve his quickness). Once he makes strides in this respect, playing with the talented forward group we have, he will become that dangerous player from his rookie campaign :)

• Cheers 1

Laine had higher expectations going in, drafted 2nd overall right behind Matthew's.  But with Brock there were 21 players between Brock and 1st overall McDavid. The fact that they're being compared even up is more a compliment to Boeser. Laines first 3 seasons were his very good, but he's faded a bit from those big number years. Brock has more upside right now, overcoming both a back injury and also dealing with crippling depression over his father, I expect to see Boes bounce back. And for my money I think Boes has a lot to prove. Boeser is right on track. And at 2nd overall Laine hasn't kept up to Matthew's at all. And with that fat contract CBJ fans are going to expect a lot from Laine this year. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 3

The $$$ numbers for Laine are pretty much as expected. I kinda like him for his scoring but I’m not sure he is the best player on any team so that is pricey and risky. Might pay off tho if he and Johnny start piling up some goals right away.

10 hours ago, The Lock said:

Not a fact to be honest. That's speculation on your part and your mistake here is statiing it as fact when it's not. We wouldn't know that for sure unless if the 2 of them were traded, perferably under similar circumstances. Then we would be able to compare. It's possible for it to happen like you say, but it's not fact, it's what you think.

Here's an example of how I would approach sharing my opinion: I actually think it's more likely Boeser and Laine would have similar value. They both are goal scoring and both have had similar seasons in the past. They're actually pretty comparable really. See? I have an opinion too but I'm not going around feeling a need to pretend my opinion is fact.

So please don't mix up fact with opinion. This is your opinion, which is fine, you're entitled to think Laine would get a higher return, but to impose that as a fact is nothing more than an inflated ego and why people are attacking you the way they are.

Let's see.. 

Laine is 1 year younger than Boeser. He has already scored 50 more career goals than him.

Let's take last season. Laine is on pace for 38 goals. Boeser on pace for 26 goals. 

21/26 of Laine's goals were even strength. 11/23 of Boeser's goals were from the powerplay. 

Let's talk about trends. Laine had a down year and injuries the 1st year he was traded to CBJ, last season, 2nd year he is picking it up. Boeser has pretty much flatlined the last 4 seasons; in fact, his rookie season was probably his best season. 

Laine is also 6"5' and can carry the play, dangle and take the puck to the net. Boeser most of the time just gets himself open to take a shot and jumps on loose pucks. 

These are facts and from facts that's how you conclude which is the better player. 

Your comment would made more sense if it was something like MacKinnion vs McDavid. But Laine vs Boeser....? lol.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, The Lock said:

Not a fact to be honest. That's speculation on your part and your mistake here is statiing it as fact when it's not. We wouldn't know that for sure unless if the 2 of them were traded, perferably under similar circumstances. Then we would be able to compare. It's possible for it to happen like you say, but it's not fact, it's what you think.

Here's an example of how I would approach sharing my opinion: I actually think it's more likely Boeser and Laine would have similar value. They both are goal scoring and both have had similar seasons in the past. They're actually pretty comparable really. See? I have an opinion too but I'm not going around feeling a need to pretend my opinion is fact.

So please don't mix up fact with opinion. This is your opinion, which is fine, you're entitled to think Laine would get a higher return, but to impose that as a fact is nothing more than an inflated ego and why people are attacking you the way they are.

Boeser would never get you a PLD in return. 

Laine is worth more. Better player. 

How? How does a player like this get 8.7 mill when Boeser got 6.5? Is there skill in negotiating you best believe it, i continue to believe we have some of the best core management groups in the NHL.

This type of a move by the Blue Jakets is atrocious in every regard, 8.7 mill for him? How are fans not out raged about this in this tight cap era? 

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Bet he would now. 

No he would not. 

For multiple reasons.  #1 being the kid wants to play in MTL.

But if that wasn't the case Boeser would not get us PLD

Edited by WHL rocks

13 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Let's see.. 

Laine is 1 year younger than Boeser. He has already scored 50 more career goals than him.

Let's take last season. Laine is on pace for 38 goals. Boeser on pace for 26 goals. 

21/26 of Laine's goals were even strength. 11/23 of Boeser's goals were from the powerplay. 

Let's talk about trends. Laine had a down year and injuries the 1st year he was traded to CBJ, last season, 2nd year he is picking it up. Boeser has pretty much flatlined the last 4 seasons; in fact, his rookie season was probably his best season. 

Laine is also 6"5' and can carry the play, dangle and take the puck to the net. Boeser most of the time just gets himself open to take a shot and jumps on loose pucks. 

These are facts and from facts that's how you conclude which is the better player. 

Your comment would made more sense if it was something like MacKinnion vs McDavid. But Laine vs Boeser....? lol.

Keep in mind I'm not arguing for or again who would have more money. I'm just saying your demeanour stating your opinion is fact is what's causing you trouble here. Still, I can debunk most of what you've said:

- Boeser was in college for a number of years before entering the NHL. He likely would have an equalivilant number of goals in the league had he started in the NHL sooner.

- Point wise based only on last year, sure, I'll give you that, but you have to look at their careers overall and not just last year.

- Even strenth vs powerplay, you could argue either one is better than the other. Both are important parts of the game. Sounds like Laines better 5 on 5 while Boeser's better on the powerplay, a pretty even value there.

- Let's talk about Boeser's father and personal life at the same time as you talking about Boeser "flatlining." This isn't a fair comparison at all given what he's been going through and most likely Boeser would probably be playing better without that extra weight on his shoulders. Laine's trend is also only of one year. One year is hardly a trend at all.

- Yeah, they have different styles of play and both of them have been caught sleeping at times. Don't forget that Laine's really streaky and doesn't use his size most of the time.

So no, those really aren't all facts if I can debunk them that easily. I actually watched a couple of Columbus games. While Laine did start looking better, he's not really as good as what you're describing yet as he's still pretty streaky. Hopefully he continues his success and improves, but it's up in the air in terms of whether Boeser or Laine would get more money at this point in my opinion.

Edited by The Lock

13 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Boeser would never get you a PLD in return. 

Laine is worth more. Better player. 

He might if PLD wants out of a place. I'm actually serious. I can see it being a possibility in the right circumstance.

Keep in mind, the only reason why Laine was traded for PLD was because both wanted out of their respective clubs. I doubt Laine would have fetched PLD if PLD had wanted to stay in Columbus.

Bring in the actual context behind the trade if you're going to bring PLD into the discussion please.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2

Thinking about things, I feel like some people are almost forgetting what Laine's career has been like overall. It seems apparent, at least to me anyway, that he's the kind of player who needs the right situation to thrive. Otherwise, he's going to struggle. This makes for a player that's tougher to evaluate in a trade because, if he doesn't thrive on a team that trades for him, that team's going to lose that trade essentially.

Conversely, Boeser has been more consistent throughout his career despite things happening in this life outside of the game. He's also a player who's well liked in the locker room. He's obviously not going to be the pinnacle of consistency, but overall it's pretty good.

I guess, in a way, it's kind of like comparing stocks with Bonds. Laine would be the more risky stock with the higher upside while with Boeser you know what you're getting. I think that's where people get hung up on when comparing the 2 players. They think Laine's better because of his upside but they ignore the risk associated with it.

Edited by The Lock

On 7/24/2022 at 12:05 AM, The Lock said:

Keep in mind I'm not arguing for or again who would have more money. I'm just saying your demeanour stating your opinion is fact is what's causing you trouble here. Still, I can debunk most of what you've said:

- Boeser was in college for a number of years before entering the NHL. He likely would have an equalivilant number of goals in the league had he started in the NHL sooner.

- Point wise based only on last year, sure, I'll give you that, but you have to look at their careers overall and not just last year.

- Even strenth vs powerplay, you could argue either one is better than the other. Both are important parts of the game. Sounds like Laines better 5 on 5 while Boeser's better on the powerplay, a pretty even value there.

- Let's talk about Boeser's father and personal life at the same time as you talking about Boeser "flatlining." This isn't a fair comparison at all given what he's been going through and most likely Boeser would probably be playing better without that extra weight on his shoulders. Laine's trend is also only of one year. One year is hardly a trend at all.

- Yeah, they have different styles of play and both of them have been caught sleeping at times. Don't forget that Laine's really streaky and doesn't use his size most of the time.

So no, those really aren't all facts if I can debunk them that easily. I actually watched a couple of Columbus games. While Laine did start looking better, he's not really as good as what you're describing yet as he's still pretty streaky. Hopefully he continues his success and improves, but it's up in the air in terms of whether Boeser or Laine would get more money at this point in my opinion.

Russo who has covered Boeser well before he was drafted and is a big fan, on his podcast a few years ago said that talking to scouts they have Boeser with 30 goal potential while Laine has 50.

Not every team puts the same value on PP points vs 5v5.  Laviolette says that you can only practice about 15-20% of offensive situations - PP being one of them.  Can't really teach 5v5 offence while PP is more systems dependent.  In one of the draft videos you can hear the scouts point out that a prospect's points weren't PP driven but at 5v5 which they clearly felt was more valuable.

Laine lost his father unexpectedly this past November.  Laine says they were very close with his father getting up in the middle of the night to watch all his games - 3am in Finland.