The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets re-sign Patrik Laine

25 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Both boeser and Laine are floaters without the puck. Literally bring nothing to the team. But they both have a killer shot when it's on. Laine is a weird one, He only shoots from horrible low percentage perimeter area.. But that's his bread and butter lol

Boeser just wait for the puck to land on his stick during the PP.

But I think boeser can show alot more now that he can work toward some closure after dealing with the family stuff 

Yep, I'm definitely giving Boeser a vote of confidence. Maybe he can put a more rounded effort forth and broaden his game to cover more areas. I think Laine is going to have a good chance at big success here in the next couple of years. He will shine when the young prospects finally hit the ice. Columbus has something good cooking out in Ohio.

Gaudreau Johnson Laine

Mateychuk Jiricek

Alicia Silverstone Flirting GIF

Now that's a PP. Add Sillinger, Peeke, Foudy, etc.. I'm Jelly.

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Talk about homer Canuck fans lol. They're both one dimensional goal scorers and Laine is far more prolific and the no brainer choice. Can't believe people are actually trying to argue this. :picard:

HOMERS!!!

There is more to hockey than just scoring goals.  I am sure you understand this concept.  That is why Laine got traded in the first place for PLD, because PLD is a better overall player.  Even Pavel Bure could kill penalties and is our greatest PK goal scorer in franchise history.  Boeser has better board play than Laine, is better defensively and even has a shorthanded goal, something Laine will never get in his career.  Laine is also a turnover machine, giving away the puck almost twice as often as taking it away.  Boeser on the other hand is pretty much an even player in takeaways, which tells you he is not a defensive liability for the Canucks.

Laine can score 50 goals next year, but if Brock is a 35 goal scorer then he will be a better overall contributor to our team.  Columbus can have Laine, they can even have little Johnny.  Those two players will be devastating for them in the playoffs.  Look at  Colorado and Tampa and the forwards they have and compare them to Laine and little Johnny.  Big difference in overall play.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There is more to hockey than just scoring goals.  I am sure you understand this concept.  That is why Laine got traded in the first place for PLD, because PLD is a better overall player.  Even Pavel Bure could kill penalties and is our greatest PK goal scorer in franchise history.  Boeser has better board play than Laine, is better defensively and even has a shorthanded goal, something Laine will never get in his career.  Laine is also a turnover machine, giving away the puck almost twice as often as taking it away.  Boeser on the other hand is pretty much an even player in takeaways, which tells you he is not a defensive liability for the Canucks.

Laine can score 50 goals next year, but if Brock is a 35 goal scorer then he will be a better overall contributor to our team.  Columbus can have Laine, they can even have little Johnny.  Those two players will be devastating for them in the playoffs.  Look at  Colorado and Tampa and the forwards they have and compare them to Laine and little Johnny.  Big difference in overall play.

You think Boeser is noticeably better defensively and you would take him over Laine because of that?

Minnie Driver Ok GIF by ABC Network

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yep, I'm definitely giving Boeser a vote of confidence. Maybe he can put a more rounded effort forth and broaden his game to cover more areas. I think Laine is going to have a good chance at big success here in the next couple of years. He will shine when the young prospects finally hit the ice. Columbus has something good cooking out in Ohio.

Gaudreau Johnson Laine

Mateychuk Jiricek

Alicia Silverstone Flirting GIF

Now that's a PP. Add Sillinger, Peeke, Foudy, etc.. I'm Jelly.

Pretty good prospect pool considering they had tons of value just walk for free over the years 

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Their goals per game are quite similar throughout their careers (0.43 for Laine, .37 for Boeser). Boeser actually plays on the boards and is getting better defensively every year. Laine is useless without the puck. I'll keep Boeser and thank my lucky stars you're not our GM

I'm sorry plays on the boards? Are we watching a different player?

5 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

You think Boeser is noticeably better defensively and you would take him over Laine because of that?

Minnie Driver Ok GIF by ABC Network

Been posted here several times.  Fancy puck battle stats put Boeser near the top of the league.  Laine doesn’t battle for loose pucks.  So again, your Laine Love isn’t based in fact.  It’s the biased view of a CBJ fan.  

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Been posted here several times.  Fancy puck battle stats put Boeser near the top of the league.  Laine doesn’t battle for loose pucks.  So again, your Laine Love isn’t based in fact.  It’s the biased view of a CBJ fan.  

I would rather have boeser and a defensive 2m guy than Laine at that # 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Both boeser and Laine are floaters without the puck. Literally bring nothing to the team. But they both have a killer shot when it's on. Laine is a weird one, He only shoots from horrible low percentage perimeter area.. But that's his bread and butter lol

Boeser just wait for the puck to land on his stick during the PP.

But I think boeser can show alot more now that he can work toward some closure after dealing with the family stuff 

Laine had family stuff too did he not?

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Both players are awful without the puck

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I'm sorry plays on the boards? Are we watching a different player?

He’s great on the boards and has been getting better on the forecheck year after year. His skating style seems very lazy so that could hit the eye test wrong but he puts in the work and it doesn’t go unnoticed for me. 

15 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

He’s great on the boards and has been getting better on the forecheck year after year. His skating style seems very lazy so that could hit the eye test wrong but he puts in the work and it doesn’t go unnoticed for me. 

Puts in work. Look I don't hate Brock but lets not pretend that because Laine got what he got Brock getting what he got looks better. They are both bad contracts. I don't know what work you see? I see a guy who approaches the NHL game the same way he approaces an all star game, da beauty league or pond hockey 

28 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Puts in work. Look I don't hate Brock but lets not pretend that because Laine got what he got Brock getting what he got looks better. They are both bad contracts. I don't know what work you see? I see a guy who approaches the NHL game the same way he approaces an all star game, da beauty league or pond hockey 

You may want to see an eye doctor… 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

You may want to see an eye doctor… 

Hansen battled but had hands of stone. If Brock could work along the boards with his hands he would be a 40 goal scorer. But he's afraid to engage, and at his size he isn't quick enough to recover if he lost a puck battle. 

Edited by hammertime