The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Flames trade Matthew Tkachuk, conditional 2025 4th-round pick to Panthers for Jonathan Huberdeau, MacKenzie Weegar, Cole Schwindt, conditional 2025 1st-round pick

2 minutes ago, UFCanuck said:

Huberdeau 115 points last year

Tkachuk 104 points last year

But Tkachuk is more gritty.

I think Maurice is going to love having 18 year old Bennett and Tkatchup and will make FLA a much less soft team. 

FLA is a bit thin on d now tho. I wonder if they'll pick up Stralman now on a cheapie deal to shore things up a bit. 

• Like 1

Just now, JM_ said:

I think Maurice is going to love having 18 year old Bennett and Tkatchup and will make FLA a much less soft team. 

FLA is a bit thin on d now tho. I wonder if they'll pick up Stralman now on a cheapie deal to shore things up a bit. 

They gave up a 2nd round pick to ship him to Arizona - they had to force him to waive.  

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

Yup.  Florida might not win the President’s trophy, but they will have a much better playoff team.  Stralman is a big upgrade on Ceegar too.  That guy was their worst player in the players.  

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

They gave up a 2nd round pick to ship him to Arizona - they had to force him to waive.  

at that AAV yes. At league min + small bonus he could still be useful for 1 year imo. 

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

He had a career year last year with very limited significant pp time and continues to get better each year, and he's signed to less than 5m per. He was our best 5v5 player last season and plays a gritty, in-your-face game, and, well, uggh, I can't even believe I'm having to write this...

Hate Reaction GIF

On a quasi related note, that kid is a dead ringer for my daughter when she was that age........it's my favourite gif to send her when she annoys me

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Florida might not win the President’s trophy, but they will have a much better playoff team.  Stralman is a big upgrade on Ceegar too.  That guy was their worst player in the players.  

not sure its been talked about enough here, but landing Maurice is also huge for FLA. Now he has the two most annoying F'Lames to play with too. 

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

He had a career year last year with very limited significant pp time and continues to get better each year, and he's signed to less than 5m per. He was our best 5v5 player last season and plays a gritty, in-your-face game, and, well, uggh, I can't even believe I'm having to write this...

Hate Reaction GIF

Garland’s best value to us is clearing his cap space.  Best move is to get picks for him.  Don’t take back money, and clear his 5 mil off the books.  

• Vintage 1

Just now, JM_ said:

not sure its been talked about enough here, but landing Maurice is also huge for FLA. Now he has the two most annoying F'Lames to play with too. 

Yup.  The Panthers are not going to be “fun” to play against.  Huberdough makes the Cowpies more fun.  Do the Cowpies have any skill that is hard to play against left?  Zadorslow isn’t skill.  Unless a turnstile is skillful, of course. 

I find it fascinating how everyone thinks Calgary won this trade, Im more pessimistic for them. I can see why Huberdeau was dumped by Florida, his playoff performance this year was beyond dreadful. (Lol I know, I know still a 115 point player in the regular season though)

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  The Panthers are not going to be “fun” to play against.  Huberdough makes the Cowpies more fun.  Do the Cowpies have any skill that is hard to play against left?  Zadorslow isn’t skill.  Unless a turnstile is skillful, of course. 

nope thats a very Charmin F group they have. Can they play the way Darryl wants them to? 

heck of a d group tho. 

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

Hate Reaction GIF

Bjorkstrand the better player and look what he returned.  Garland is undersized so there's probably quite a few teams already skeptical because of that alone.  He doesn't bring a lot of speed, is not a high-end goal scorer and doesn't play the direct game that teams are looking for in the post-season.  Doubt they can expect much of a return given his 5M cap hit.

• Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, JM_ said:

at that AAV yes. At league min + small bonus he could still be useful for 1 year imo. 

Probably some hard feelings there.  They forced him to waive and go to a bottom feeder while they made the post-season.

1 minute ago, mll said:

Bjorkstrand the better player and look what he returned.  Garland is undersized so there's probably quite a few teams already skeptical because of that alone.  He doesn't bring a lot of speed, is not a high-end goal scorer and doesn't play the direct game that teams are looking for in the post-season.  Doubt they can expect much of a return given his 5M cap hit.

I'm hoping we can send him to Buffalo for one of their 3 2nd round picks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

Probably some hard feelings there.  They forced him to waive and go to a bottom feeder while they made the post-season.

maybe, but he may also be happy to be back with the new look group now. New coach too. Its a business at the end of the day, so we'll see. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Florida is a much better team now.  The Benning miss (Tkatchuk) is a heck of an upgrade over Huberdough.  

No they are not. They are still gonna have to address their defense. Weegar played massive minutes for them and they really have no one in the system to replace him with and huberdeau was their primary play driver. Florida overpayed hard for the grit that so many people value and may have closed their window. 

I wonder if it’s at all possible to pry Gudas out of Florida.

They're still over the cap, and I wonder if a couple ELC guys might be enticing. Like I wonder if the Canucks were to offer Burroughs (cheap deal) and someone like Woo and a pick.

Or to really shake it up, Rathbone for Gudas and one of their picks since they’re so keen on giving them all away.

It would be a downgrade on defense but they get cap compliant. Canucks would finally have a partner for Hughes who they could try to sign longer term since he’s UFA at the end of the year.

55 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'll bet JH, at least, signs an extension in the next couple of days.  

you could be right, let see what happens in the next weeks.  on the other hand the fact that Florida coughed up so many prime assets could be an indicator that Calgary had no indication that these guys would definitely sign.