The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Kings re-sign Gabriel Vilardi

People were oozing about this guy, and then we watched him drop in the draft...

People were screaming about this dude being passed over. And yeah, he had skating concerns...

In the end, this guy is still trying to prove himself in the league. Maybe people need to temper their expectations, hey?

Edited by Dazzle
Typo
  • Cheers 4

16 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

People were oozing about this guy, and then we watched him draft in the rankings...

People were screaming about this dude being passed over. And yeah, he had skating concerns...

In the end, this guy is still trying to prove himself in the league. Maybe people need to temper their expectations, hey?

I remember....OMG VILARDI/GLASS.  Then, from many, a huge collective cry over the fact that we drafted Petey.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Kings have done the opposite of us over the last few years: collect tons of draft picks, but whiff hard on them.  

Turcotte and Vilardi just aren't impressive at all. 

19 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

In juniors, Gabe's IQ really shone. He always seemed to know where the puck was going to go. But he definitely had warts - especially on skating. Alas, the needed improvement to his game hasn't materialized at all.

He wasn't even that smart; he just matured earlier physically.  He didn't have nearly enough skill to justify being picked where he was.  I was grateful all the posters here who wanted this plug didn't get their way then and I'm even more grateful now.  Unlikely to ever be a full-time NHLer at this point

12 hours ago, King Heffy said:

This guy was #1 on my do not draft list.  His ceiling was a 3rd liner and it looks like he won't even reach that.

Valardi, 23, 6'3, 210 -- For sure he will be a good #3 C...He put up a point a game last season in the AHL he is ready to be given some quality minutes and have that breakout season.. Gp 75 - G 15 - PTS 35 -- AVG 12-14 mins

21 hours ago, Dazzle said:

People were oozing about this guy, and then we watched him drop in the draft...

We could have saved cap space

22 hours ago, King Heffy said:

This guy was #1 on my do not draft list.  His ceiling was a 3rd liner and it looks like he won't even reach that.

Maybe a bit too soon to say. When I see him play he seems to work hard and have a high compete level.

I'd check back in a year or two, he is still only 22.

• Cheers 1