The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2022 - 23

Mike Vanderhoek

4 hours ago, canuck2xtreme said:

ANNOUNCEMENT

As I'm sure we are all aware, the past several seasons, the GML has consistently seemed to have one or two teams that have coasted through a season without a GM while we tried to fill vacancies.  This has resulted in those teams significantly weakened through lack of upkeep, hampered league activity and left some players stuck on rudderless teams.  While we have made great efforts to fill those vacancies, as we move into the critical off-season time, we can no longer float these teams along without GMs to guide them without significant league intervention that would amount to the exec group leading 'puppet' teams, which has far more downside than upside.  We have contacted over 80 people in an attempt to fill these positions and have had no luck. 

With that in mind, the executive group is considering the unfortunate measure of declaring the New York Islanders and Anaheim Ducks franchises, both currently still without a General Manager, as defunct franchises as of the end of the regular season on April 14th.  We would reduce to 30 active teams from that point forward.

The league would conduct a Dispersal Draft to fairly spread the talent from those two clubs around the league.  The draft would run in reverse standings order, and assets from the Anaheim Ducks and New York Islanders will be available to be selected.  There are 65 total assets available to be selected, so each team would get to select twice during this Dispersal draft.  Details are in the spoiler below.

Reveal hidden contents

The Dispersal Draft would begin on Saturday April 16th. 

- A new thread would be created for this draft, just as with the Entry Draft. 

- Teams would have 24 hours from the point where they are tagged in the thread to make their selection. 

- Teams would be permitted to pass on their chance to select a player by posting 'pass' in the Dispersal Draft thread when it is their turn.

- There would be NO make up picks if a team misses their 24 hour window unless prior arrangements have been properly made ahead of time (i.e. - away on holidays AND have spoken to c2x or MV prior to their selection coming up).

- No trading of Dispersal draft selection order would be permitted. Teams may select a player and trade them after the fact if they desire, but there would be no trades to effect the order of selection.
- When selecting a player, your team would inherit the players current GML contract, including clauses.

- Pending UFA/RFAs would be eligible to be selected.  All pending UFAs would be open to the idea of an extension, but as always, contract terms, money and fit with the team (especially fit) must make sense.  There is an element of risk with selecting a pending UFA, as there is no guarantee that they will sign an extension.

- Any players who are still left after 2 rounds would be considered UFAs beginning July 1st.
- Any players selected in the Dispersal draft would be ineligible for the 2023 Playoffs.
- For the 2024 Entry Draft, only the Anaheim 2nd round draft selection would be effected.  That selection would be placed in the middle of the 2nd round for the team that holds that draft selection.

Obviously this is not the ideal situation, but I personally believe that we would be better served focusing on improving the experience for the GMs that are still here, rather than leaving two teams rudderless or being ran as puppet teams by the league, which obviously presents it's own myriad of issues.  We're looking to turn an untenable situation into a positive for the league.

Please react to this post to this post in the following methods to cast your vote:

- React with a heart to vote in favour of holding the Dispersal Draft
- React with a rough game to vote against holding the Dispersal Draft

I would like to welcome your comments, suggestions, questions or concerns in this matter as well.  I am off to work but will reply this afternoon when I am able.

Thank you.

Also, no, this is not an April fools joke.  Just the way the timing worked out.

So can the 2023 and 2024 draft picks be selected in the draft?

11 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

What if we eventually find more GMs?

Will there be an expansion draft? 

Maybe we can all pull our contacts lists together and give it one last go at recruiting? 

I have been explained this format of fantasy to the guys, and gals, that I play fantasy AFL with and they love this concept.

We have nothing like this for AFL. 

The only trouble is they know nothing about hockey or the intricacies of contract negotiations.

In regards to AFL we have a site fan footy 

https://www.fanfooty.com.au/

That tracks the points live for each game. 

It also has a chat section were you can interact with other fantasy addicts, scroll down from the game stats and you can see it. 

It's a fantastic fantasy resource and community.

@canuck2xtreme 

I know only asses sume, however I assume when you state reverse order teams at the bottom of the standing draft first, then after the 30 pick do we start over or is it a snake draft.

• Cheers 2

End of the day, you gotta do what you gotta do, I hope every GM will fish hard for two more players as the proposed solution is drastic and almost irreversable: yeah we could have an 'expansion draft' when we find new GM's but the far more likely result is more shrinkage in six months or a year, eventually spiraling to a defunct league. Not being dramatic: as most of you know I am a retired federal and military spook with deep training in analysis, not that you need that to see that this solution solves the immediate vacancies problem, but doesn't solve the long term issue of attrition. By far the best outcome would be that we all put in some work to try to find two more players. I would suggest also that perhaps teams of three GM's for each vacant club take on the job of caretaking; it would keep the clubs current and in good standing, and able to draft, while a triumverate of governance would keep shenanigans to a minimum and keep dealings above board. At least two, but three is better. If the exec is sure none of these suggestions will solve the issue: I am fine with contraction if that is the final choice. ((i too hope that a plan to hold an expansion draft is on the backend of that plan for when we do find new GM's. Without new blood, this league like all the others will die sooner than later.)) That is all i got, not looking to argue, just my two cents.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

The Seattle Kraken are pleased to announce our Three Stars for the Month of March!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEu2Sq9ydB675xTPoTLTO4tM-sAZC5aVaboDSf5K3wQE1_n6yB4ewU&usqp=CAU

First Star of the Month: Good Goaltending is needed in a good playoff run, and Jacob Markstrom is working hard to provide me with good playoff goaltending. First Star with 90 points in March!!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEu2Sq9ydB675xTPoTLTO4tM-sAZC5aVaboDSf5K3wQE1_n6yB4ewU&usqp=CAUimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEu2Sq9ydB675xTPoTLTO4tM-sAZC5aVaboDSf5K3wQE1_n6yB4ewU&usqp=CAU

Second Star of the Month: Evgeni Malkin, with his fourth strait 3stars appearance and 92 points.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEu2Sq9ydB675xTPoTLTO4tM-sAZC5aVaboDSf5K3wQE1_n6yB4ewU&usqp=CAUimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEu2Sq9ydB675xTPoTLTO4tM-sAZC5aVaboDSf5K3wQE1_n6yB4ewU&usqp=CAUimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEu2Sq9ydB675xTPoTLTO4tM-sAZC5aVaboDSf5K3wQE1_n6yB4ewU&usqp=CAU

Third Star: The Kraken Blue Line!!!!  represented by Gustav Forsling, who will get the star, our entire Blueline has really had an amazing March. 

Honourable mentions all our Dmen nominated who did not win a star. 

Edited by Primal Optimist
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Primal Optimist said:

End of the day, you gotta do what you gotta do, I hope every GM will fish hard for two more players as the proposed solution is drastic and almost irreversable: yeah we could have an 'expansion draft' when we find new GM's but the far more likely result is more shrinkage in six months or a year, eventually spiraling to a defunct league. Not being dramatic: as most of you know I am a retired federal and military spook with deep training in analysis, not that you need that to see that this solution solves the immediate vacancies problem, but doesn't solve the long term issue of attrition. By far the best outcome would be that we all put in some work to try to find two more players. I would suggest also that perhaps teams of three GM's for each vacant club take on the job of caretaking; it would keep the clubs current and in good standing, and able to draft, while a triumverate of governance would keep shenanigans to a minimum and keep dealings above board. At least two, but three is better. If the exec is sure none of these suggestions will solve the issue: I am fine with contraction if that is the final choice. ((i too hope that a plan to hold an expansion draft is on the backend of that plan for when we do find new GM's. Without new blood, this league like all the others will die sooner than later.)) That is all i got, not looking to argue, just my two cents.

I hear you loud and clear, I would rather not see two clubs fold but we keep going into and playing out seasons minus GMs. It for me is a frustrating and tiring experience with over 70 PMs myself on the go and wrapped up with CDC members.

There is minimal interest at best to simply join this league. Through my discussions which start with a general interest then turns into not liking the GML entry draft format, not liking team sheets, not wanting to use pickuphockey, not wanting to join a league with certain people in it, not having time to join another league. I think we have to be 110% open to making changes and hearing people's opinions and suggestions but the time I have put in to trying to find candidates frankly has left me disappointed and not really motivated to keep up with the rejection letters so to speak haha.

I think if Dispersal takes place we should and will see changes to ensuring teams don't have anyway to hoard talent or play a tank game, while no rule against it definitely not ideal, that should simply not happen and if Dispersal adds potentially 45 ish NHL players we will ensure teams cannot dress less NHL players then a minimum threshold with exception of injuries. Teams will have to be motivated to pick up a player on Waivers or add someone who is not 21 yrs old and earning ELC money. The 5 to 10 teams who don't care to ice full lineups will lose that luxury moving forward.

I realize new blood is what is needed to keep things going and growing and that is the hope, the goal absolutely. I personally am tired of seeing NHL players rotting on GM-less teams, assets needing qualifying offers, and teams not making trades etc. We have a lot of people question integrity and standard in this league over the years which is such crap, but I don't think the answer is meddling of an exec or volunteer group to keep teams maintained, it is very hard and time consuming getting traction and resolutions in these groups on just the day to day GML matters.

I am as a fellow GM here 110% open to other solutions and discussions on the topic of Dispersal, I am one of potentially 32 though so let's hear what we can do?

Edited by Mike Vanderhoek
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

On 4/1/2023 at 12:52 PM, ActionJax09 said:

So can the 2023 and 2024 draft picks be selected in the draft?

2023 picks yes, 2024 picks no, as there will be no accurate place to put them in without the teams playing the season.  The only 2024 pick that had been moved is one second rounder, which would be placed in the middle of the 2nd round.

22 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

What if we eventually find more GMs?

Will there be an expansion draft? 

Maybe we can all pull our contacts lists together and give it one last go at recruiting? 

Exactly. If there is further interest, we will have expansion drafts, which as theo mentioned, might be more palatable being able to build your own team rather than take on one on life support.

As for recruiting, if you guys can find us 2 GMs, that's of course the ideal solution. So if we have anyone, send them my way.  But without GMs, Dispersal is the likely path.

6 hours ago, Primal Optimist said:

Thanks for your input PO.

I wouldn't consider it 'irreversable'.  If we have more interest we can expand and re-add those teams.  As for further reducing the league, we are in no way suggesting this would be the play every time there is an opening.  But these are long term openings and at this point, without GMs, they're going to lose more UFAs, miss more draft picks etc.

As for the idea of other GMs forming factions to limp these teams along, all I will say is personally I agree with Mike's take on that.

We will continue to attempt to find GMs and re-expand if we are able to as soon as 2024-25.

18 minutes ago, canuck2xtreme said:

Exactly. If there is further interest, we will have expansion drafts, which as theo mentioned, might be more palatable being able to build your own team rather than take on one on life support.

As for recruiting, if you guys can find us 2 GMs, that's of course the ideal solution. So if we have anyone, send them my way.  But without GMs, Dispersal is the likely path.

It would be a tough pill to have to lose two players to an expansion draft after all the time and assets traded to acquire players. 

Hope we are able to acquire a couple GMs. 

10 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

It would be a tough pill to have to lose two players to an expansion draft after all the time and assets traded during the Dispersal Draft to acquire a couple players. 

:P

35 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

It would be a tough pill to have to lose two players to an expansion draft after all the time and assets traded to acquire players. 

Would be no different than IRL having new teams joining in for an expansion draft. I assume there would be rules so you can protect the top half of your assets anyway.

With that said, I also would like to add that I think these new expansion teams should be exclusive to new GMs only, so the current GMs should be planning accordingly for upcoming expansion.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Dispersal draft seems fine. Lots of teams in this league struggling to ice full 20 man NHL rosters (of regular 82 game players) due to the depth of the top teams anyway. Can't hurt for some talent injection at the bottom.

On 4/2/2023 at 3:18 AM, Ilunga said:

I have been explained this format of fantasy to the guys, and gals, that I play fantasy AFL with and they love this concept.

We have nothing like this for AFL. 

The only trouble is they know nothing about hockey or the intricacies of contract negotiations.

In regards to AFL we have a site fan footy 

https://www.fanfooty.com.au/

That tracks the points live for each game. 

It also has a chat section were you can interact with other fantasy addicts, scroll down from the game stats and you can see it. 

It's a fantastic fantasy resource and community.

@canuck2xtreme 

I know only asses sume, however I assume when you state reverse order teams at the bottom of the standing draft first, then after the 30 pick do we start over or is it a snake draft.

Reverse standings order each round. So Last place thru to first place, and then last place thru to first place again.

• Thanks 1

It does seem the exec has made up its mind, which is very much understandable. 

Anaheim has 32 players right now but 8 of them expire as UFA's in a couple weeks

The Islanders have 29 (7 of them unsigned draftees) players right now but 6 of them expire as UFA's in a couple weeks

61 total players minus the 14 expiring deals is 47 total players with rights beyond this summer.

So if we do two rounds of pics that would grab pretty much all the guys: so is the plan to let the pending UFA's go to free agency AND THEN draft from the remaining? Or draft including the pending UFA's? 

We could stick the unsigned draftees back into this coming summer draft, even if the three 2021 draftees would be considered overagers, there are only three of them...

that would bring the total of contracted guys down to 40: one round of picks and the final ten have their deals voided and they go to UFA this summ?

Just a suggestion to make the impact the lowest possible on the existing clubs. One pick each is very low impact on our cap situations and each club can pretty much pick from cheap to expensive or i presume opt not to pick anyone at all and trade their pick to another club?

I am just spitballing ideas, because if all 61 players and then all the draft picks go to the diispersal draft, that is at least 2 assets going to each club and whereas this is an unforseen situation even up to after the deadline: no one had a chance to work on freeing up cap space except for those in the know about the future planning for these vacant teams.... which isn't ideal, but then none of this is. SO yeah, just spitballing ideas.

edit for notes: looks like just 8 RFA players on Anaheim, and 14 including the unsigned draft picks with the isles

Final edit: I could, relatively quickly, work out a fair simple 30 dispersal draft eligible guys from each roster by using NHL RFA status: simply voiding the draft picks each of the two defunct teams currently owns and putting their draftees back into this coming GML entry draft. From above notes there would be roughly 25 such RFA status players currently under contact between the two clubs and simply round up to 30 total by birth date. the youngest assets NOT considered RFA's by the NHL rules after April 14th are included in the dispersal draft until there are 30 total assets to be drafted: everyone else goes to free agency this summer?

Again this would mitigate the total impact down to the lowest possible fair level of one pick each in reverse standings order. let me know what you think and I would be happy to get to work on such a list which would be transparent, fair but not onerous on our already stretched caps and also have an added bonus of putting some great players in the summer UFA mix for clubs to bid on like we would normally do with UFA's.

if your minds are set and you have it figured, please just say so and I will do what ever the deal is when the time comes.

Edited by Primal Optimist

53 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

It does seem the exec has made up its mind, which is very much understandable. 

Anaheim has 32 players right now but 8 of them expire as UFA's in a couple weeks

The Islanders have 29 (7 of them unsigned draftees) players right now but 6 of them expire as UFA's in a couple weeks

61 total players minus the 14 expiring deals is 47 total players with rights beyond this summer.

So if we do two rounds of pics that would grab pretty much all the guys: so is the plan to let the pending UFA's go to free agency AND THEN draft from the remaining? Or draft including the pending UFA's? 

We could stick the unsigned draftees back into this coming summer draft, even if the three 2021 draftees would be considered overagers, there are only three of them...

that would bring the total of contracted guys down to 40: one round of picks and the final ten have their deals voided and they go to UFA this summ?

Just a suggestion to make the impact the lowest possible on the existing clubs. One pick each is very low impact on our cap situations and each club can pretty much pick from cheap to expensive or i presume opt not to pick anyone at all and trade their pick to another club?

I am just spitballing ideas, because if all 61 players and then all the draft picks go to the diispersal draft, that is at least 2 assets going to each club and whereas this is an unforseen situation even up to after the deadline: no one had a chance to work on freeing up cap space except for those in the know about the future planning for these vacant teams.... which isn't ideal, but then none of this is. SO yeah, just spitballing ideas.

edit for notes: looks like just 8 RFA players on Anaheim, and 14 including the unsigned draft picks with the isles

Final edit: I could, relatively quickly, work out a fair simple 30 dispersal draft eligible guys from each roster by using NHL RFA status: simply voiding the draft picks each of the two defunct teams currently owns and putting their draftees back into this coming GML entry draft. From above notes there would be roughly 25 such RFA status players currently under contact between the two clubs and simply round up to 30 total by birth date. the youngest assets NOT considered RFA's by the NHL rules after April 14th are included in the dispersal draft until there are 30 total assets to be drafted: everyone else goes to free agency this summer?

Again this would mitigate the total impact down to the lowest possible fair level of one pick each in reverse standings order. let me know what you think and I would be happy to get to work on such a list which would be transparent, fair but not onerous on our already stretched caps and also have an added bonus of putting some great players in the summer UFA mix for clubs to bid on like we would normally do with UFA's.

if your minds are set and you have it figured, please just say so and I will do what ever the deal is when the time comes.

All players and draft picks currently held by Anaheim and the NY Islanders would be available, regardless of contract status.

I think you're trying to galaxy brain it with the RFA status and here's who makes the cut for dispersal and these guys are released and these guys are back into the draft. I think that keeping it relatively simple is the best course.  Anyone who is on either of those teams right now should be up for selection.

Now, if we want to consider releasing the unsigned picks back to the draft before dispersal and/or only doing one round of dispersal and having any players not selected become UFAs, that's something we can look at if the membership would prefer that setup.  Under the outline I posted on Saturday, unselected players would be released to UFA anyways.  If the membership would prefer only doing one round instead of two, that's totally fine.

As far as salary cap considerations goes, no team has to choose a player, nor do they have to choose a high priced one if they don't want to.  As noted in the original post, teams have the right to decline a player and 'pass' their turn.  And everyone is pretty much getting the information on this at the same time, and was only initially discussed after the trade deadline, so no team was 'in the know' and had any more time to prepare or plan than anyone else.

As far as 'trading' their pick, there is no trading of dispersal draft picks.  You could work out a deal beforehand, select a player and then trade that player (assuming the player doesn't have trade protection) but in the interest of keeping things as straightforward and fair as possible, the dispersal draft order would not be altered by trades.

The reason pending UFA players were included in the draft is because teams may want to add that player, and have an oppourtunity to do so before having to join a bidding war in the summer. There are several significant players about to go to UFA in this list.  It adds an element of strategy as well.  Do you take the pending UFA, betting that you can get him signed?  Or do you go with someone where you have more team control?  Or, if you don't know who to pick and are concerned about your cap situation, you can take a pending UFA, and if between now and July 1st you can't make it work cap wise, the player goes to UFA and there's no impact to the team at all.  Or you could take an undrafted prospect, or a signed prospect, or select one of the available draft picks.  There's lots of options for teams who have an eye more on cap management than adding a player.

While I can appreciate the whole summer UFA mix part, that's also what usually drives salary costs way up, which would run contrary to the salary cap point.  It also removes some impact players from the process and that takes away from the oppourtunity we have to give the lower end teams a boost by being able to secure a strong player without having to hope free agency breaks their way, and keeps the salaries the same rather than grossly inflated.

Edited by canuck2xtreme
  • Cheers 2