The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

22 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Pop poll who is the best rhd in the entire history of the Canucks franchise??

Bieksa?

Lidster?

Salo? *unfortunately couldn't stay healthy. 

This list makes me sad. 

Could Hronek or Reinbacher be the best RHD in franchise history??

Like you state without taking anything away from the players you mentioned, that is kinda sad.

I am a big Juice fan for what he brought to our team however he was what he was.

Hronek has achieved some success at the highest level and does seem to be progressing at the age you would expect him to. 

As for Reinbacher, the kid hasn't even been drafted yet, all he has is potential.

How many top prospects have not made much of an impact at the highest level ?

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Like you state without taking anything away from the players you mentioned, that is kinda sad.

I am a big Juice fan for what he brought to our team however he was what he was.

Hronek has achieved some success at the highest level and does seem to be progressing at the age you would expect him to. 

As for Reinbacher, the kid hasn't even been drafted yet, all he has is potential.

How many top prospects have not made much of an impact at the highest level ?

+1

• Cheers 1

I’m going to Seattle Thunderbirds vs Kamloops Blazers game tomorrow here in the Seattle area. I’m super familiar with the draft prospects on Seattle since I live close and get to a decent amount of games. Don’t know a ton on Kamloops. Any draft eligible or unsigned over age guys on Kamloops I should keep my eye on? 

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

Bieksa?

Lidster?

This list makes me sad. 

If Hronek could surpass so those three (which I do believe he very well could) that will be great news for our franchise. Having Hronek and Hughes on the back end might just be a thing of pure beauty.

To your question though, all three of those guys were great in their own rights. Juice was my all time favourite, but I think the best overall was Salo, if only his bones weren’t so brittle. His bomb from the point was lights out and he was solid on the defensive side of the game as well. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

I’m going to Seattle Thunderbirds vs Kamloops Blazers game tomorrow here in the Seattle area. I’m super familiar with the draft prospects on Seattle since I live close and get to a decent amount of games. Don’t know a ton on Kamloops. Any draft eligible or unsigned over age guys on Kamloops I should keep my eye on? 

Connor Levis is a right handed center with good size and good numbers this year.  

He's projected to go in the second/third round.  

1 hour ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

Any interesting Seattle prospects? 

11 hours ago, hammertime said:

Bieksa?

Lidster?

This list makes me sad. 

I only wish we could have seen a young Jiri Bubla, he was that good. Of your list, Lidster and Salo were head and shoulders better than Bieksa.

Edited by johngould21
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

If Hronek could surpass so those three (which I do believe he very well could) that will be great news for our franchise. Having Hronek and Hughes on the back end might just be a thing of pure beauty.

To your question though, all three of those guys were great in their own rights. Juice was my all time favourite, but I think the best overall was Salo, if only his bones weren’t so brittle. His bomb from the point was lights out and he was solid on the defensive side of the game as well. 

It's pretty sad. Bieksa was a super cool guy and teammate but he sorely lacked the ability to defend. If he's the best ... man I don't know. Salo was better, very solid all around but he wouldn't even be mentioned on most teams. Ohlund, Jovonovski, Lumme, were far better imo. Was Ohlund LD, I can't quite remember?

7 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Any interesting Seattle prospects? 

They have such a great team. They have a few draft eligible guys. Most of their guys have already been drafted but they still have good youth too. Draft eligible they have a couple forwards I’ve seen anywhere from 2nd-4th round. Gracyn Sawchyn and Nico Myatovic. Sawchyn I think will be a big steal. He’s slender and needs to bulk up, think he’s about 160 pounds but kid is flashy, fast, and dynamic with great hands. If he falls to our 3rd  round pick, which I don’t think he will, I’d love to get him. Myatovic is a bigger guy, 6’2 190 pounds. He was really unimpressive last season but he’s really elevated his game this year. I think he had like 25ish points last year and now he’s almost ppg. Very possible he’s a good late bloomer. Plays a good two way game. He’s turning into a good hockey player. Probably has bottom 6 nhl potential I’d guess. They also have Scott Ratzlaff who’s their backup goalie and he’s put up godly numbers. He’s played 30 games and has a 923 save%. 2 GAA. Their starter Tomas Milic was never drafted and his numbers are great too. He was with team Canada for world juniors. Their goalie tandem is unreal. I saw a stat that they’ve allowed 3 or more goals only 1 game of their last 14. They are hot. I don’t even consider myself a Thunderbirds fan. I just go to games because I live close. But this team is insanely exciting. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Ilunga said:

This ranking is a bit of an outlier. 

Most of the other rankings have him teens, into the 20's, one even has him at 33.  

He has been playing against other teams best players all season and is really good in the face off circle. 

At best he does project to be 2 way second C.

Is that Recrutes you're referring to? I noticed they had Dvorsky 3rd. Aside from NHLCS and the more mainstream media outlets that get more info from real NHL scouts (TSN, THN, SportsNet), I think Recrutes might be the most respectable outlet around now that I don't think ISS is a thing anymore. McKeens pretty reputable. Smaht is a newer one and is pretty interesting, they do a nice balance between scouting and tracking analytics; probably not the most reliable rankings but always good reads. FCHockey  I don't know much about but tend to agree with a lot of their stuff. But Recrutes' people are looking for NHL-translatable qualities and tend to be closer to real NHL teams' rankings compared to outlets like say, EP or Smaht or Dobbers.

• Upvote 1

You know who's growing on me is that Eduard Sale. I can see why Button has been so high on him, he just has everything you want in an offensive winger. Smart, skilled, clever play-creator, uses his teammates, responsible with the puck, and like a Dvorsky or Danielson he plays a strong, heavy game. Not actually as big as those guys but his lower body strength and center of balance are very impressive.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

ask yourselves, what would our 7th OA/6OA pick get us in terms of a young NHL d man right now...I know PA has asked himself that.

Unfortunately, I agree with you. I think it’s highly unlikely we make the pick if we’re outside the top 4, and I’ve resigned myself to the fact that all my prospect watching will be for nothing. 

My take on the draft is always take BPA, however if it's very close (Within a tier) then I think we need to have a slight focus to C and RD as we have those organizational needs now and into the future (To be honest they always will be for most teams) when these prospects are closer to being ready.  That said, I think this would be my top 10 strictly from a Canucks perspective (Since we are and could drop a bit further down from where we currently are):

Tier 1:

1 - Connor Bedard

Tier 2:

2 - Adam Fantilli 

3 - Leo Carlsson 

4 - Matvei Michkov 

5 - Zach Benson

Tier 3:

6 - Dalibor Dvorsky

7 - Will Smith 
8 - David Reinbacher 

9 - Oliver Moore

10 - Eduard Sale

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

My take on the draft is always take BPA, however if it's very close (Within a tier) then I think we need to have a slight focus to C and RD as we have those organizational needs now and into the future (To be honest they always will be for most teams) when these prospects are closer to being ready.  That said, I think this would be my top 10 strictly from a Canucks perspective (Since we are and could drop a bit further down from where we currently are):

Tier 1:

1 - Connor Bedard

Tier 2:

2 - Adam Fantilli 

3 - Leo Carlsson 

4 - Matvei Michkov 

5 - Zach Benson

Tier 3:

6 - Dalibor Dvorsky

7 - Will Smith 
8 - David Reinbacher 

9 - Oliver Moore

10 - Eduard Sale

If we had to rank and tier it considering the Canucks’ needs:

Tier 1:

1. Connor Bedard

Tier 2:

2. Adam Fantilli

3. Leo Carlsson

4. Matvei Michkov

5. Will Smith

Tier 3:

6. Zach Benson

7. Dalibor Dvorsky

8. David Reinbacher

9. Eduard Sale

10. Ryan Leonard

11. Colby Barlow

Thats what I think the Canucks list would be close to.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Tier 1:

1 - Connor Bedard

Tier 2:

2 - Adam Fantilli 

3 - Leo Carlsson 

4 - Matvei Michkov 

5 - Zach Benson

Tier 3:

6 - Dalibor Dvorsky

7 - Will Smith 
8 - David Reinbacher 

9 - Oliver Moore

10 - Eduard Sale

We are surely drafting from Tier 3 and to me, all those guys look like they will be great picks.

Given how we have been collecting Russian players as of late, I'd be thrilled if Michkov somehow drops to us.

12 minutes ago, DudePerfect said:

Tier 1:

1. Connor Bedard

Tier 2:

2. Adam Fantilli

3. Leo Carlsson

4. Matvei Michkov

5. Will Smith

Tier 3:

6. Zach Benson

7. Dalibor Dvorsky

8. David Reinbacher

9. Eduard Sale

10. Ryan Leonard

11. Colby Barlow

If we come away with any one of the top 8 in your list, I'd say we will be very happy.

The way we are playing and winning, we might fall outside 8... 9 is still ok with Sale but another winger.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DudePerfect said:

Tier 1:

1. Connor Bedard

Tier 2:

2. Adam Fantilli

3. Leo Carlsson

4. Matvei Michkov

5. Will Smith

Tier 3:

6. Zach Benson

7. Dalibor Dvorsky

8. David Reinbacher

9. Eduard Sale

10. Ryan Leonard

11. Colby Barlow

Looks pretty good.  The only thing I have heard is that Benson is closer to that second tier even though he is a winger.  If he's a similar level to Dvorsky or Reinbacher, then I think you go for higher value position potentially.