The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

7 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Who would you guys say is the most likely 'concensus' selection at our pick? ASP?

I think Alvin will have have a Tupacian level of eyes on ASP. 

Tupac Shakur Dancing GIF

If he take's Lekkerimaki and ASP back to back I sure hope all the kings horses and all the kings men have clue what their doing. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think Dvorsky will be there. And honestly I'd love to get guys like him in the system. As a raw talent I think he's got all the tools and ticks all the boxes. I find myself incredibly frustrated by the way he plays. I cringe when he carry's the puck. 

Maybe he's coachable if he is.... There's huge potential. Or he's an ostrich. 

Ostrich Avestruz GIF by Amnistía Internacional España

I'm not sure which. 

Regardless I think he's going to be a very good 3C who's money on the PP.  

Not convinced at all on top 6 upside though. 

I'm in the same boat with Musty. I absolutely want guys like him in the system. I just don't want him or Musty at 11. 16+ absolutely. In this case I love playmaking from the Power fwd role. Musty can play that Bertuzzi role where Naslund/Lekkerimaki would thrive. 

I can see the carrot.  

I can't remember if you have posted a top 11.

Are you willing to do so now ? 

• Like 1

Just now, hammertime said:

I think Alvin will have have a Tupacian level of eyes on ASP. 

Tupac Shakur Dancing GIF

If he take's Lekkerimaki and ASP back to back I sure hope all the kings horses and all the kings men have clue what their doing. 

Getting the next Bossey and another Hughes in back to back drafts would be friggin’ fantastic! 
105 points next season without those two. Then they show up and say hello to Cup parades down Georgia. :towel:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I can't remember if you have posted a top 11.

Are you willing to do so now ? 

On 6/3/2023 at 8:59 AM, hammertime said:

I have But at 9 in this tier.

6 Reinbacher

7 Danielson

8 Simashev 

9 But

I have Wood sorta clumped into this group. Where I am very comfortable in saying each of them would complement our core and slide right into our top 6 but doesn't have to start there. 

10 Sale

11 Barlow

12 Leonard

13 Wood I'm good with Wood here as I've seen what Miller Pete can do with Brock and I think Wood would be a clear upgrade. 

My top 15 I feel safe to hit on all 15 of those picks. Sure there are always questions but I'm taking the guys with more answers. Other lists may have a greater appetite for guys like ASP, Benson, Perreault, Gulyayev, Dvorsky, Moore, Cristal. I'm not sure if their Hughes or Honka personally. Probably would have traded a small moon for Honka in 2015. 

About 3 days ago. Wow things get buried quick. That's great to see. 

• Cheers 3

50 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Who would you guys say is the (most likely) concensus selection at our pick? ASP?

For me it’s Willander. Seems like a full package. Reminds me of McAvoy in his draft year. NCAA route next year as well which is money for development. 

On 6/5/2023 at 6:41 PM, hammertime said:

Here's a fun list I stumbled across. Not saying it's good or bad but they predicted 28 of the 32 1st rounders last year. There are some hot takes for sure.

https://soundofhockey.com/2023/06/02/a-data-driven-look-at-the-top-250-prospects-in-the-2023-nhl-draft/

Yeah, it's strictly data driven that's why all the kids that were good enough to be promoted to their big club were basically punished for not producing against men in their big league 

• There it is 1

25 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Yeah, it's strictly data driven that's why all the kids that were good enough to be promoted to their big club were basically punished for not producing against men in their big league 

Yes and no. If they put up points Michkov 1st, Carlsson 3rd, Reinbacher 5th, Hameenaho 24th, Rykov, 44th. 

If they didn't put up points they got torched absolutely. 

Bedard

Fantilli

Carlsson

Smith

and Michkov go top 5

that leaves one of: 

Leonard

Reinbacher

Dvorsky

Moore

Danielson

—-

ASP

Simashev

Benson

id prefer anyone in the top 10 I’ve listed as a preference…

but if they’re all gone would be happy with any of those last 3 as well. 

22 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Bedard

Fantilli

Carlsson

Smith

and Michkov go top 5

that leaves one of: 

Leonard

Reinbacher

Dvorsky

Moore

Danielson

—-

ASP

Simashev

Benson

I think Wood bumps up into that middle group. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think Wood bumps up into that middle group. 

You’re probably right!  

I kind of purposefully listed C’s and D’s besides Michkov just because I was curious who’d be available if the wingers weren’t taken.  I know Leonard and Benson and maybe a few others might end up on the wing but they’re all listed as C/W at least. 

Just my preference.  Some very intriguing W’s in the top 15 as well even if I’d rather go C / D if we can.

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Yes and no. If they put up points Michkov 1st, Carlsson 3rd, Reinbacher 5th, Hameenaho 24th, Rykov, 44th. 

If they didn't put up points they got torched absolutely. 

Right but every one of those kids was 18. The 17 year olds had little hope.

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

I think Dvorsky will be there. And honestly I'd love to get guys like him in the system. As a raw talent I think he's got all the tools and ticks all the boxes. I find myself incredibly frustrated by the way he plays. I cringe when he carry's the puck. 

Maybe he's coachable if he is.... There's huge potential. Or he's an ostrich. 

Ostrich Avestruz GIF by Amnistía Internacional España

I'm not sure which. 

Regardless I think he's going to be a very good 3C who's money on the PP.  

Not convinced at all on top 6 upside though. 

I'm in the same boat with Musty. I absolutely want guys like him in the system. I just don't want them at 11.

16+ absolutely. In Musty's case I love playmaking from the Power fwd role. Musty can play that Bertuzzi role where Naslund/Lekkerimaki would thrive. 

I can see the carrot.  

Ya I see Dvorsky different then you do. I see a top 6 guy. Hes looked different on every team hes played on and hes done certain things better on each of those teams / roles. I think hes going to take a little longer but he could have a really big pay off. I do see a world where he does become a 3C like you are projecting but I am seeing the higher upside currently.

I know Kasper isn't the same as Dvorsky at all but I feel like their upside debate is similar in their draft years. AS its just hard to project at his current age and how hes played across multiple teams.

Whereas if he played in the CHL wed have a much more clear look / perspective on him as a player.

I see why there are question marks and doubt and enough for you to be wary of him being our pick at 11.

Agree on Musty completely 

Edited by R3aL
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

Bedard

Fantilli

Carlsson

Smith

and Michkov go top 5

that leaves one of: 

Leonard

Reinbacher

Dvorsky

Moore

Danielson

—-

ASP

Simashev

Benson

Some drafts you have to pick between taking bpa or draft for immediate help. Fortunately for the Canucks in this draft they can fill both needs because let's be frank they need everything.   In my opinion anyone from Benson (because Canucks need elite talent most of all), Moore, ASP, Barlow and Danielson will be available when the Canucks pick 11.  I'd be happy with any of those in that order.  

• Cheers 1

Eduard Sale is becoming one of my absolute favorite players in the draft. Had to tag @R3aL in this one. Sale looks to me like one of the most translatable skilled offensive forwards this year. One of the better 200-foot wingers I've seen in recent draft classes. You so often only see his level of hockey IQ at this age in players who aren't great skaters and need to learn to use smarts to compensate. The majority of the time Sale is able to make the play with his positioning and by reading the play, but when he needs to, kid can burn. And it's not just his speed, he's agile and smooth on his edges, and able to be highly deceptive with his skating maneuvers. He's always looking to put his body in between the puck and opposing players to give himself extra time to make a play, and he's fantastic in limited time and space, reading and reacting instantaneously to make deft touch passing plays in traffic.

The most common criticism I've seen against Sale is regarding physicality and being "soft", so I figured I'd put together a few highlights of his physical play. The first three are from the Czech Extraliga this season where keep in mind he's 168 lbs (wearing #28); the next two are from last summer's Hlinka Cup (#12)

Here we see him up against a 207 lb longtime KHL veteran defenseman (Sale is #28 in white):

Here he goes against 6'4, 184 lb Jakub Dvorak, who should also go early in this year's draft, and again Sale's team comes away with possession (Sale is #28 in blue this time):

A nice burst of speed to get by the defenseman and take the bump but maintain his balance and, at least momentarily, possession (#28 blue):

And this is him against his peers:

This one is just fun:

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2