The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

5 minutes ago, Isam said:

They are lol.  Watch the griva bros.

I'd like to file a Griva.

But for real though I think the DEL AHL Czech NL are really close right now in terms of quality. The gap is really closing and I quite enjoy watching the DEL. NHL translatability in terms of play style might be closer than the KHL though the skill level isn't.  

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I'm not interested in getting into another mud wrestle with you. You have your opinions and I have mine I share some of your views. I also think Sale is a stud . And some others I don't share your perspective. Thats what a discussion is. But every time I disagree with you you start slinging insults and resort to playground tactics. A glance at the title of our PM thread illustrates this. 

Re Hameenaho Slafkovski comparison of course it's tongue N cheek. I took a guy I felt was a bit over rated last year and compared him to a guy who I feel is quite under rated this year and since they played in the same leagues it's a simpler exercise. I don't have Lenni top 5 I have him 20ish though in a class with Dvorsky. If we want to dive into it. Lenni is a Nov b day meaning on every team he played on growing up he was the youngest kid. Slafkovski being a March baby would have been the oldest and the stongest and quite obviously the biggest. There are 4 months separating these kids. I feel these factors cancel themselves out. In Liiga in their draft years Slafkovski tossed down 17 points in 49 games. Hameenaho had 25 points in 59 games. Their D-1 their numbers are also quite similar. Am I taking Slafkovski over Hameenaho of course I am but I don't think they are acres apart. Sure you can say one is 17 and the other is 18 but the 17 yearold is 6'3 240 so that point is kinda moot IMO. But all I am saying with this is don't sleep on Hameenaho I'm not billing him top 5. 

Re fixation on B days.  I mean it comes up a lot. Don't make me throw down Lekkerimaki Kemell comparisons. Physically mature this and that. Kemell is in another class it's not close. I remain hopeful for Lekkerimaki as he is our guy. One glance at the type of points Kemell has put up in the playoffs vs the actual quality of the points Lekkerimaki put up meh I'm not interested you can see for yourself on twitter Kemell is clapping bombs. Buut it's kinda across the board. You can see Dvorsky is a big physically mature boi dominated children at the u18 but against men his own size. Statistically slaughtered and the eye test is worse. It goes on and on though anytime anyone disagrees with you you throw this age comparison in their face so and so is younger or not physically mature but maybe they just aren't as good as you think they are? There are schools of thought and I agree with you more often than not. Sometimes I disagree. Any time anyone does you cut their knees out. 

damn I think the rest of us love mud wrestling sorry to hear you dont feel the same way

well at least I do.. 

I do want to just touch on Kemell. 

I persoanlly am not that high on him and haven't been for awhile.

But he is a really interesting prospect.

His AHL performance could be a big sign I misjudged / evaluated the player though I will admit that. But it is still very early. I am still very bullish on JL. To rebound the way he did after such a physically frustrating season was very promising.

I am expecting him to have a stellar SHL season next year. If he struggles, doesn't take a step I will be with you though in the JK JL direct comparison.

So I am prepared to eat it on this but I am optimistic JL is going to play well next year.

16 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Hope this draft we trade BB,Miller and the so called futures (Myers) and end up getting a second plus 2 C's.

Bring on the cap space.

I cant imagine trading Miller unless its a really creative multi team trade that I cant see coming, as there just isn't a clear fit anywhere for a direct trade.

Because we cannot go into a season where managements direction is playoffs and our only C's are EP40 + Aman prior to UFA signings.

And the only assets we have that could be used to acquire a 2C would be Miller who is a 1LW or a 2C and our 11OA pick I dont really see it another way.

I also just dont see Miller being traded I think he wants to stay and I think Management and Tocchet likes him. But hell I could be crazy wrong.

Maybe Dubas stamps pits with a blockbuster trade with us in a three way trade or we do a big trade with Columbus as they have immense pressure and perhaps they think it would be a good fit. 

But I am just not seeing it.

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

I cant imagine trading Miller unless its a really creative multi team trade that I cant see coming, as there just isn't a clear fit anywhere for a direct trade.

Because we cannot go into a season where managements direction is playoffs and our only C's are EP40 + Aman prior to UFA signings.

And the only assets we have that could be used to acquire a 2C would be Miller who is a 1LW or a 2C and our 11OA pick I dont really see it another way.

I also just dont see Miller being traded I think he wants to stay and I think Management and Tocchet likes him. But hell I could be crazy wrong.

Maybe Dubas stamps pits with a blockbuster trade with us in a three way trade or we do a big trade with Columbus as they have immense pressure and perhaps they think it would be a good fit. 

But I am just not seeing it.

Do you forget easily?Last two seasons they tried to trade Miller.If they could get another Center he's gone.Plus we have other players to trade and get another Center.In the minors we have two close to being ready.What do you not see?

2 hours ago, stawns said:

All of those players are good and might be great, but all have some significant shortcomings that make them much riskier than the players I listed, imo at least.  At 11, they're far more likely to get a top line player than at 19, which is far closer to a 50/50 gamble for hit or miss.

They need a hit

Yeah. The offer to trade down from 11 to 19, or whatever, would have to be an offer you literally couldn't refuse. 

Otherwise, no. You're going to have a much better chance finding the player you want at 11. 

I get it, we want more picks, but... 

• There it is 1

5 minutes ago, R3aL said:

damn I think the rest of us love mud wrestling sorry to hear you dont feel the same way

well at least I do.. 

I do want to just touch on Kemell. 

I persoanlly am not that high on him and haven't been for awhile.

But he is a really interesting prospect.

His AHL performance could be a big sign I misjudged / evaluated the player though I will admit that. But it is still very early. I am still very bullish on JL. To rebound the way he did after such a physically frustrating season was very promising.

I am expecting him to have a stellar SHL season next year. If he struggles, doesn't take a step I will be with you though in the JK JL direct comparison.

So I am prepared to eat it on this but I am optimistic JL is going to play well next year.

I think we are all trying to be optimistic. I had Lekkerimaki high too and Kemell higher still I love how agressive he is. @Isam brings up Kadri comparissons re Moore.  Regardless I wanted Bichsel so we will see how that plays out. But how often do 6'5 defensive D who obliterate guys open ice come up at our pick?

On Leks damn I hope he makes a fool of me. Nothing would make me happier and furthermore I really think we're getting Dvorsky this year. So doubly so especially on Dvorsky if we get him as we need this type of player. 

I prefer to spectate on mud wrestling. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Do you forget easily?Last two seasons they tried to trade Miller.If they could get another Center he's gone.Plus we have other players to trade and get another Center.In the minors we have two close to being ready.What do you not see?

Huh? We have no one close to Miller in the pipe. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I'm not interested in getting into another mud wrestle with you. You have your opinions and I have mine I share some of your views. I also think Sale is a stud . And some others I don't share your perspective. Thats what a discussion is. But every time I disagree with you you start slinging insults and resort to playground tactics. A glance at the title of our PM thread illustrates this. 

Re Hameenaho Slafkovski comparison of course it's tongue N cheek. I took a guy I felt was a bit over rated last year and compared him to a guy who I feel is quite under rated this year and since they played in the same leagues it's a simpler exercise. I don't have Lenni top 5 I have him 20ish though in a class with Dvorsky. If we want to dive into it. Lenni is a Nov b day meaning on every team he played on growing up he was the youngest kid. Slafkovski being a March baby would have been the oldest and the stongest and quite obviously the biggest. There are 4 months separating these kids. I feel these factors cancel themselves out. In Liiga in their draft years Slafkovski tossed down 17 points in 49 games. Hameenaho had 25 points in 59 games. Their D-1 their numbers are also quite similar. Am I taking Slafkovski over Hameenaho of course I am but I don't think they are acres apart. Sure you can say one is 17 and the other is 18 but the 17 yearold is 6'3 240 so that point is kinda moot IMO. But all I am saying with this is don't sleep on Hameenaho I'm not billing him top 5. 

Re fixation on B days.  I mean it comes up a lot. Don't make me throw down Lekkerimaki Kemell comparisons. Physically mature this and that. Kemell is in another class it's not close. I remain hopeful for Lekkerimaki as he is our guy. One glance at the type of points Kemell has put up in the playoffs vs the actual quality of the points Lekkerimaki put up meh I'm not interested you can see for yourself on twitter Kemell is clapping bombs. Buut it's kinda across the board. You can see Dvorsky is a big physically mature boi dominated children at the u18 but against men his own size. Statistically slaughtered and the eye test is worse. It goes on and on though anytime anyone disagrees with you you throw this age comparison in their face so and so is younger or not physically mature but maybe they just aren't as good as you think they are? There are schools of thought and I agree with you more often than not. Sometimes I disagree. Any time anyone does you cut their knees out. 

Dvorsky statistically slaughtered in Allsvenskan eh? The 7th best p/g ever in that league (min 20 games), about dead even with Elias Pettersson at the same sage.

55 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Well some people / scouts think players I listed there are clear as day top 10 guys.

I hear ya there might be statistically less risk but our teams list could be drastically different than your tier list. And there could be a draft day scenario that makes sense for us to trade down.

We do need a hit couldn't agree more on that.

Take a guy like Wood, for example.  He might turn out to be a Tage Thompson, but his skating is a huge issue and he could end up being a bust.  I wouldnt wouldn't be happy if they moved down from an almost sure thing player at #11 and took Wood at #19.  

7 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Dvorsky statistically slaughtered in Allsvenskan eh? The 7th best p/g ever in that league (min 20 games), about dead even with Elias Pettersson at the same sage.

About here is where you bring up the age equivalency. On a kid who is 50 lbs heavier in a men's league. Pretty sure Pete killed him in their draft year  at 160 whatever lbs wet.  

Edited by hammertime

26 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Yeah. The offer to trade down from 11 to 19, or whatever, would have to be an offer you literally couldn't refuse. 

Otherwise, no. You're going to have a much better chance finding the player you want at 11. 

I get it, we want more picks, but... 

I'm not nearly as bullish on draft picks as many here.  

3 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Ansell sponsored a free skiing comp at Hotham 20 years ago.

We had this promo in our bar, we filled up a mini inflatable pool with 

their silky smooth lubricant, dudes would then wrestle in it.

One of my friends came up against this massive dude, he was sh!ting himself, so we told him to take off his underwear.

When he did this the other guy freaked out and got out of the pool.

I will never forget the look on the massive dudes face.

Good times.....

Bwahahahah!

9 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Well I'm sorry if you think Elias Pettersson was "statistically slaughtered" his 17 year old season.

Should I bring up his Nov (Hameenahio belabored point)  birthday vs Dvorsky that year. 

Also seriously?? 

Edited by hammertime

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

Ansell sponsored a free skiing comp at Hotham 20 years ago.

We had this promo in our bar, we filled up a mini inflatable pool with 

their silky smooth lubricant, dudes would then wrestle in it.

One of my friends came up against this massive dude, he was sh!ting himself, so we told him to take off his underwear.

When he did this the other guy freaked out and got out of the pool.

I will never forget the look on the massive dudes face.

Good times.....

Cracking Up Lol GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 1