The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

We need a young RHD ...

Canucks her Hronek ...

We still need a young Top RHD ...

Canucks draft Willander ...

Do people want to see us win, get better, or just complain?

If you have been paying attention, we needed to get rid of the top defense contract anchors... not the talent

Is it just me or does 11 seem pretty high for a guy who had a decent u18 as a 2nd pairing D and has done nothing really else? Struggling to produce in Swedish JR. 

I fully admit this is not a player I know much about. He was not on my radar at all until very recently. 

I'm super happy we finally drafted a RHD though. 

Does he have Dobson upside? 

I certainly hope they have watched a ton of Willander and know that they are doing. Of course Detroit takes Danielson and But goes the pick directly after ours. Little steamed but still very happy to have a toolsy RHD prospect. Hopefully he will excel in the NCAA and eliviate all of my worries. 

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Is it just me or does 11 seem pretty high for a guy who had a decent u18 as a 2nd pairing D and has done nothing really else? Struggling to produce in Swedish JR. 

I fully admit this is not a player I know much about. He was not on my radar at all until very recently. 

I certainly hope they have watched a ton of Willander and know that they are doing. Of course Detroit takes Danielson and But goes the pick directly after ours. Little steamed but still very happy to have a toolsy RHD prospect. Hopefully he will excel in the NCAA and eliviate all of my worries. 

its not you, we could have got him in the 3rd round I bet. But our picks this year dont really matter because we have everything we need.

5 minutes ago, hammertime said:

This is the problem when trying to grade a more defensive/balanced dman. They will never pop off on the stat sheet making it hard for us fans and media to accurately judge/hype them up. 

You have to watch a shit ton of videos to give an accurate picture of this kind of player. We just have to trust our scouts on this one. 

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

if there’s one thing you shouldn’t do w Willander, it’s judge him based on counting stats. Go watch some tape on him. Then combine those skills with how dedicated he is to improving. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

its not you, we could have got him in the 3rd round I bet. But our picks this year dont really matter because we have everything we need.

You  clearly have no idea what your talking about if you genuinely think we could have had him in thr 3rd round.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Terrific development opportunity where he will get primetime minutes and situational deployment. I think his ceiling is pretty high and the path is wide open.

• Cheers 1

It will be interesting how the Canucks use their mid and late round picks.

The Canucks have taken goalies in 3 of their last 4 drafts, and this draft doesn't have a very strong goalie cohort. I could see the Canucks using a lot of their selections on finding positional needs like center and two way dman.

Would love to see them mine another prospect like Kirill Kudryavtsev who was a 3rd round quality guy who slipped into the 7th.

Would be interested in Danny Nelson a left handed 6'3 center from the US national development program ranked anywhere between the 2nd and 4th round has some great wheels and plays a very responsible two way game and very raw puck skills that needs more time. Committed to play for Notre Dame next year, where you can be patient with him, has lots of potential to play a speedy but heavy game much like Ivan Barbashev or Ilya Mikheyev.

Another guy I have my eye on is Peteris Bulans a left handed dman from Latvia that played for Chicoutimi of the QMJHL. Didn't play a lot in the first half of the season due to being buried by the depth in Acadie-Bathurst Titan but got dealt to Chicoutimi and was nearly a PPG dman for them in the second half of the season. He may be a late bloomer but lots of potential and is ranked anywhere between the 5-7th round due to lack of games played and likely exposure. He would be a guy i'd take in the 4th round or that 6th round pick, could develop to be a 4/5 dman with defensive focus.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I really like that Arizona did the thing what a draft for them if it pans out. 

The biggest baddest best skating mofos in the draft and their team mates already. 

Yeah Arizona is one of the day one winners in my books. I had Simashev (14) and But (6) ranked almost exactly how they went, but in reverse. Was not expecting them to actually go that early though due to geopolitics. But the interesting thing to me is this: Coyotes head scout Darryl Plandowski almost never picks from outside of the CHL in the first round, but when he does, it means he sees something special and you can take it to the bank. The last three times he picked outside of CHL in round one were Victor Hedman, Andre Vasilievsky and Logan Cooley.

The other big winner in my eyes was Colorado. Gulyayev was the steal of the draft by my ranking, and they'll add him to the pile with Makar, Girard, Byram. I like Calum Ritchie's upside too.

And I guess I'm obligated to say St Louis and Seattle did awesome, getting Dvorsky and Sale later than I thought they should have gone.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

This is the problem when trying to grade a more defensive/balanced dman. They will never pop off on the stat sheet making it hard for us fans and media to accurately judge/hype them up. 

We just have to trust our scouts on this one. 

Oh I get that. Just is his absolute ceiling mid pair D? 

Isn't that something a GM should be able to acquire by other means. What happened to difference makers and wanting the guy who can blow the roof off?

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Terrific development opportunity where he will get primetime minutes and situational deployment. I think his ceiling is pretty high and the path is wide open.

I'm happy. Looking FWD to watching him develop. He's fairly unknown to me so I guess it makes it more interesting. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Isn't that something a GM should be able to acquire by other means. What happened to difference makers and wanting the guy who can blow the roof off?

No, his ceiling is top pairing D-Man.

6 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Dude, think you had a bit too much to drink tonight.

5 minutes ago, the_impersonator13 said:

Craig Buttons man perm approves of this pick!

5 minutes ago, CanucksCountry said:

You  clearly have no idea what your talking about if you genuinely think we could have had him in thr 3rd round.

I could get proof of this but only if we had a time machine. we gave up the next three picks who will have at least 20 pts or more this season, and we get a guy going to fancy school who wont play for at least 3 years, right when our OEL penalties kick our ass.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

Just now, EastCoastNucks said:

I could get proof of this but only if we had a time machine. we gave up the next three picks who will have at least 20 pts or more this season, and we get a guy going to fancy school who wont play for at least 3 years, right when our OEL penalties kick our ass.

Time for bed

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

His absolute ceiling is 1st pairing D. Like a #2.

Realistically he is probably a Hamhuis if everything works out.

He ain't gonna be the guy but the guy that supports THE guy. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1