The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

7 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Is anyone else sick to death of these Uber Eats commercials? :sick:

I don't get a lot of N.A feeds over here in Europe but watched a NHL network stream before the draft so I got to actually see the commercial breaks for a change. 

Where can one purchase the newly released and collectible .999 Silver Dollar Double Eagle collector coin that was in the 1 minute a time infomercial? 

6 hours ago, grandmaster said:

This is the one thing that I noticed separates European players versus North Americans, especially Canadians. Players from here generally value the Stanley Cup more so than international tournaments and vice versa. Vegas thanks the 16 Canadian players on their team. 

Not saying Willander won’t play hard for us. Just saying…

Have to correct you here. I am comfortable saying that 99% of Swedish players answer is the Stanley Cup. 

World Juniors is special for any player, perhaps even more so than being apart of a WC or an Olympic team. You get aged out from the WJC whether you're from Czechia or Burnaby.  

Matvei and Andrei (RIP) Michkovs mutual dream was for Matvei to one day lift the Stanley Cup. 

You are correct in Europeans leaning more into international tournaments. Probably because home is long ways away for the NHL players. They're playing for Canadian and American NHL franchises.. nice to be able to represent something from home for once. 

• Like 1

After sleeping on it I am more and more happy with our pick. There were several guys I had ahead of him on my own personal board but I do think Willander will end up being a really awesome pick for us in the long run. I can’t even remember the last time we drafted a right shot dman that I was actually excited about. Even crazier is that we haven’t drafted a righty dman in round 1 since the 1990s! This was long overdue. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 6/8/2023 at 3:50 PM, HKSR said:

I'm just gonna place my prediction as a mock draft here to come back to in a few weeks after the draft is done:

1. CHI - Bedard

2. ANA - Carlsson (yup, a surprise here as a lot of people have Fantilli going first)

3. CLB - Fantilli

4. SJS - Smith

5. MTL - Dvorsky (what?!  Yup, I think they build around their Slovak pair of Dvorsky and Slafkovsky)

6. ARZ - Michkov (they can afford to wait for this guy)

7. PHI - Wood (just seems like a PHI type player)

8. WAS - Reinbacher (will pair nicely with Sandin)

9. DET - ASP (their new Hronek)

10. STL - Moore

11. VAN - Leonard

Got the 1st four right lol... and DET did end up with ASP... just not at 9 haha

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

After sleeping on it I am more and more happy with our pick. There were several guys I had ahead of him on my own personal board but I do think Willander will end up being a really awesome pick for us in the long run. I can’t even remember the last time we drafted a right shot dman that I was actually excited about. Even crazier is that we haven’t drafted a righty dman in round 1 since the 1990s! This was long overdue. 

Kevin Bieksa was our last really good right-handed Dman that we drafted.  We got him in the 5th round.  He was probably our best one.  Top 4 right-handed Dman are almost impossible to find unless you draft them.  We had to trade a 1st and 2nd round pick just to get one.  And we really don't have many in the prospect pool either.  So, this pick makes total sense.  My first choice would have been Wood, but I thibk Willander with his skating will be a top 4 guy, so I'm happy with the pick.  He may even be ready in 3 years, so we will have him and Hronek in the lineup together.

I am hoping he can be that partner for Hughes.  If he can fill out to 200+ pounds then we may have found our top pairing for the next decade...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

I was excited when we drafted Bob Daily. He then got traded to Philly for "Izzy" Goodenough and Jack McIIargy. I got excited for Jocelyn Govremount, but he was a flop. Rick Lanz played a few seasons before also being traded, but for his rookie season I was very excited. He had a bomb for a shot, but because of lack of development his game never improved. All three were right handed D, and with a bit of development could have been cornerstones for the Canuck franchise. In the early 70's they shared farm teams with another NHL team in cities like Tulsa, Fredricton, and many more that I don't remember.

With the Abby Canucks an hours drive from Rogers Arena, there should be no more excuses for development. Colliton and staff are doing a fabulous job down there, let's hope it continues. Let's give this KID the time he and the organization needs, 3, or 4 years if that's what it takes. Defensemen do take longer to get it.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1