The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

Just now, chon derry said:

He was put into concussion   protocol. I’ve yet to find anything that does conclusively  say for certain that he actually did have a concussion after the reeves hit? 

Well he played the next game, so I doubt he was concussed...

It was an honest question as I've only read about that one incident, so I wondered about the rest...

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Well he played the next game, so I doubt he was concussed...

It was an honest question as I've only read about that one incident, so I wondered about the rest...

Some of the concerns about this player are warranted others are just over the top. I’m not at all worried about his return. A return that’s nothing more than routine observation of a hard hit. It’s not The first time and won’t be the last. Concussion protocol is taken far more serious than in the past. The concussion scare is in the past and I don’t know why it’s being thrown up in the air now. It has absolutely nothing to do with his shoulder injury. Which he’s also been cleared of. They sat him out after 4 games as to not aggravate the shoulder. Makes perfect sense. There was nothing to gain by keeping him in since the season was a wash anyhow. I’ll add immediately after the reeves hit he wanted to return to the game. It was deemed to be a hard enough hit to have caused a concussion but like I said I can’t find any info that confirms it actually was. Much ado about nothing. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, chon derry said:

Some of the concerns about this player are warranted others are just over the top. I’m not at all worried about his return. A return that’s nothing more than routine observation of a hard hit. It’s not The first time and won’t be the last. Concussion protocol is taken far more serious than in the past. The concussion scare is in the past and I don’t know why it’s being thrown up in the air now. It has absolutely nothing to do with his shoulder injury. Which he’s also been cleared of. They sat him out after 4 games as to not aggravate the shoulder. Makes perfect sense. There was nothing to gain by keeping him in since the season was a wash anyhow. I’ll add immediately after the reeves hit he wanted to return to the game. It was deemed to be a hard enough hit to have caused a concussion but like I said I can’t find any info that confirms it actually was. Much ado about nothing. 

Do we know what his specific shoulder injury was? An injured shoulder can mean many things.

2 hours ago, chon derry said:

Cheers amigo. 

This also my conclusion... smells a bit like somebody is searching for a negative...

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Hmm wonder if that means more teams will pass on him...it's unlikely he'll drop as far as 11 but it's so interesting. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, canuckwings said:

Hmm wonder if that means more teams will pass on him...it's unlikely he'll drop as far as 11 but it's so interesting. 

More likely Benson falls to 11. And he might be the guy that’s left who is highest on our scouts’ list. 

6 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I've been heavily in favor of picking Michkov if he's there at 11. I'm not so sure anymore. He says he will be at the draft, but no combine means no interviews? That's tough.

Risky pick, he's going to ball loads. Someone may fall as well because of a poor showing at the combine or interviews too. But at the end of the day if Michkov is somehow around at 11OA you take him and run. He'll still surely go top-5, who knows, maybe some of the American kids will bump him down, but in 5 years time Michkov may be one of the best players of the draft. 

People are putting him in Bedard's tier in some chats, I think that's pretty insane but he may well be the 2nd best player of this draft. I think the McDavid/Kucherov comparisons for Bedard/Michkov are interesting and may be pretty fair.

Carlsson and Fantilli playing in the IIHF World Champs is pretty interesting, so far neither have really wowed just yet, they're basically playing bottom line minutes. Carlsson with a goal and 2 assists in 6 games, Fantilli with just 2 helpers but racked up like 25 PIMs in the last game.

I wonder if this WC will have any impact on these guys and their seeding, to me Carlsson just seems more NHL-ready but Fantilli's offensive ability probably has a higher ceiling.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, hammertime said:

It would be suuuuuuuper stealth tank to trade your draft picks away. 

11 hours ago, hammertime said:

I didn't say anything like that. All I said is wait and see. On the surface it looks like a Benningesque move. I hope it ends up more like Miller than Clendenning Forsling. 

I have concerns in regards to what we gave up for a player who is severely injured. 

So it’s a combination of a bad trade because of the pick involved?  or a bad pick because of the injury ? Or just you being negative. His injury is all but healed ,  The pick is gone , he’s here. The only thing left is all the nay sayers to  heal their hurt feelings about a free pick. That was utilized for an immediate need. I’ll come back to this convo after a few weeks into the season. I’m sure everyone will feel a lot better. 

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

So it’s a combination of a bad trade because of the pick involved?  or a bad pick because of the injury ? Or just you being negative. His injury is all but healed ,  The pick is gone , he’s here. The only thing left is all the nay sayers to  heal their hurt feelings about a free pick. That was utilized for an immediate need. I’ll come back to this convo after a few weeks into the season. I’m sure everyone will feel a lot better. 

Wait and see is not negative. Fool me once shame on you n all that. I am hopeful Yzerman didn't just dunk on Alvin. 

Just now, hammertime said:

Wait and see is not negative. Fool me once shame on you n all that. I am hopeful Yzerman didn't just dunk on Alvin. 

Yzerman is in a full on rebuild with 3 players to rebuild around he has multiple picks around 10. I beleave in the 1st and 2nd rounds. Given that timeframe these picks could possibly take 3-5 years to mature. He knows this. Combine those factors with hroneks age at that time , then from the Canucks perspective the pick was expendable from the wings , so was hronek. 

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Risky pick, he's going to ball loads. Someone may fall as well because of a poor showing at the combine or interviews too. But at the end of the day if Michkov is somehow around at 11OA you take him and run. He'll still surely go top-5, who knows, maybe some of the American kids will bump him down, but in 5 years time Michkov may be one of the best players of the draft. 

People are putting him in Bedard's tier in some chats, I think that's pretty insane but he may well be the 2nd best player of this draft. I think the McDavid/Kucherov comparisons for Bedard/Michkov are interesting and may be pretty fair.

I have Michkov ranked 2nd overall. Won't do anybody any good if he doesn't come over. I'm sure he will eventually but not being able to talk to him and gauge his intentions is worrisome. Most rebuilding teams are not in a position to risk wasting such a high pick.

It'll have to be a team with a heavy scouting presence with their ears to the ground in Russia. Kekalainen and Columbus come immediately to mind but 3rd overall would surprise me. Washington seems like a likely candidate. If he makes it past them he could free fall.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Yzerman is in a full on rebuild with 3 players to rebuild around he has multiple picks around 10. I beleave in the 1st and 2nd rounds. Given that timeframe these picks could possibly take 3-5 years to mature. He knows this. Combine those factors with hroneks age at that time , then from the Canucks perspective the pick was expendable from the wings , so was hronek. 

Absolutely agreed. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I have Michkov ranked 2nd overall. Won't do anybody any good if he doesn't come over. I'm sure he will eventually but not being able to talk to him and gauge his intentions is worrisome. Most rebuilding teams are not in a position to risk wasting such a high pick.

It'll have to be a team with a heavy scouting presence with their ears to the ground in Russia. Kekalainen and Columbus come immediately to mind but 3rd overall would surprise me. Washington seems like a likely candidate. If he makes it past them he could free fall.

I mean this sort of scenario is the only way he makes it to us. How much of a gambler is PA? Does Chibisov have a good read?

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Absolutely agreed. 

I’m certainly not trying to be argumentative but more defending the trade from a canucks fan. Point of view I do beleave this was the best/ quickest option available to the nux at the time. And they acted. I admit there’s a gamble in it but that doesn’t take away from the pick being a gamble and the pick actually turning into a RT hand dman availing itself. That’s the bigger gamble. In my way of thinking , therefor I’m on the hronek side of things. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

I’m certainly not trying to be argumentative but more defending the trade from a canucks fan. Point of view I do beleave this was the best/ quickest option available to the nux at the time. And they acted. I admit there’s a gamble in it but that doesn’t take away from the pick being a gamble and the pick actually turning into a RT hand dman availing itself. That’s the bigger gamble. In my way of thinking , therefor I’m on the hronek side of things. 

There's another thread we can discuss the Hronek trade in but I've already kinda given my $0.02. I'm optimistic but leery. 

• Cheers 3
  • There it is 1

Based on the playoffs and last year’s draft I see smaller skilled wingers dropping in the draft this year.  Size and strength is being viewed as an asset come playoff time.  Players like Lekkermaki and Kermell were ranked in the top 10 dropped to the mid-teens last year.  Teams also seem to value Defenseman and Centres over perceived skill BPA.  I could see Wood, Barlow, But and Honzek going before Benson and Cristall.  Simashev maybe picked higher than expected.  Before ASP?  GM’s are seeing guys like Mitch Marner tear up the league during the season and completely go MIA in the playoffs.  This draft will be interesting after the top 5 players go.  I don’t see Michkov getting past 5th though.  Him and Berard are undersized but special talents.  It’s the next undersized skill tier that will drop.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Based on the playoffs and last year’s draft I see smaller skilled wingers dropping in the draft this year.  Size and strength is being viewed as an asset come playoff time.  Players like Lekkermaki and Kermell were ranked in the top 10 dropped to the mid-teens last year.  Teams also seem to value Defenseman and Centres over perceived skill BPA.  I could see Wood, Barlow, But and Honzek going before Benson and Cristall.  Simashev maybe picked higher than expected.  Before ASP?  GM’s are seeing guys like Mitch Marner tear up the league during the season and completely go MIA in the playoffs.  This draft will be interesting after the top 5 players go.  I don’t see Michkov getting past 5th though.  Him and Berard are undersized but special talents.  It’s the next undersized skill tier that will drop.

Benson could fall into our laps. He has a lot of Seth Jarvis in his game. The kid could be the steal of this draft at 11. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1