The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

24 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

More I watch of Samuel Honzek the more impressed I am. I said before I wouldn't take him at 11 but upon re-consideration I might not be upset if that somehow happened.

6'4 & uses it effectively, good speed, great hands, great poise, more of a playmaker but has a heavy shot, and good defensive awareness too. Having trouble finishing my rankings but prob a top 15 guy for me. Would not be stunned to see him go higher than people might be expecting. 

Looks pretty slick on his edges too - particularly for his size.

Same could be said for Daniil But, although Honzek is the better skater all-around.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Like...Juolevi?  Yakupov?  Virtanen?  Patrick?  Stefan?  G Reinhardt?  Pouliot? Dal Colle?  A Nylander?  L Anderson?

My statement stands.  The moment a player has been drafted, that draft pedigree goes out the window in all but the eyes of GMs and the stat sheets.  After that number is called it's a whole new game.

And in quite a few cases after their number has never been called.

Just like the current winner of the Conne Smythe trophy. 

Just to be clear I am agreeing with you.

However as a caveat to that, any person that follows this sport knows that some teams are better at developing prospects, than others.

Speed/mobility: Check

Size: Check

Hockey IQ: Check

Premium position: Check

Great Program: Check

Tom Willander is our guy and he fills a ton of needs and you could probably slot him long term next to Hughes as one of the most mobile defence pairings in the league. If he’s on the board still this is our pick with all the rumored interest on our side (thank god) 

Time to rebuild the defence like promised. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Danielson definitely has better vision. He's a better hockey player than Jake pretty easily, I just brought up that name b/c I think some of Danielson's offense comes from using his speed + reach advantage on the outside & its a similar critique to how most of Virtanen's offense came from blowing by players on the outside. (Atleast that's what came to mind for me, still scarred by that pick apparently lol)

Danielson will often look for passes or continue to hold onto it until there's a better play (unlike Virtanen who would flip a nothing shot on net last second) but I still think there's a question of if his offensive game will suffer when the advantage of holding onto it as long as he wants on the outside goes away. He does have good vision with the puck on his stick but as a playmaker I don't find him to be very creative. I think he projects as a pretty north/south player.

Its a good point that no one has ever really projected a selke win for a prospect, but just don't think Danielson is as aggressive as you'd like (at both ends tbh), like Dvorsky is for example, maybe even Moore aswell. I think I like Dvorsky's defensive game more. 

I think the difference is how Nate used his speed and made his line mates better.

jake was just a one man show either would physically blow a guy up or just outskate them when mismatched and the goals scored he’s often just roof it clean. As we saw none of that translated.

Nate does use his speed and reach to make plays but I think the fundamentals of using his speed to attack and back d up or using his reach to make it passes and or create different lanes will translate well as he adapts to the NHL. 

if he didn’t use his reach and speed we’d say he’s slow and doesn’t use his frame effectively . I don’t think we can fault him for using his tools. I don’t think he’s just a physical freak having his way with kids out there though. 

im still scared too. I honestly compared this aspect of jakes game to Barlow. Even though he’s much more of a complete player than JV he scores some goals similar to Jake just by being stronger and just sniping it clean on goalies and it makes me

Nervous. JV PTSD 100%!

really I agree with everything you said there except I do think he’s more creative then he’s given credit for. Because when he does hold the puck he does do it with a purpose. Whether it is too let his line mates catch up, or

to pull d in to create more space

for His line mates but either way it’s his way of  making things easier for his line mates. And he makes some

reslly creative plays and nice cheeky cross passes. 

he does have the north south style though for sure and he has the size and speed and IQ to be an effective north south match up C I think.

well if he can smother bedard better than anyone in the dub that’s a great sign to me. 

i like dvorksys offensive game more than ND def and I like ND skating and Def play/potential more than.l dvorksy personally but there would be others to agree with you I’m sure 

like I’d compare peak Kesler more to Danielson and Horvat more to Dvorsky except I think Dvorksy will end up having a heavier style and need to improve his skating like Bo did and Danielson I don’t think will have Keslers pest / bite to him that kesler had

Edited by R3aL
  • Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

Speed/mobility: Check

Size: Check

Hockey IQ: Check

Premium position: Check

Great Program: Check

Tom Willander is our guy and he fills a ton of needs and you could probably slot him long term next to Hughes as one of the most mobile defence pairings in the league. If he’s on the board still this is our pick with all the rumored interest on our side (thank god) 

Time to rebuild the defence like promised. 

Detroit gonna snag him to run

Edvinsson-Seider

Wallinder-Wallinder

10 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Detroit gonna snag him to run

Edvinsson-Seider

Wallinder-Wallinder

If Detroit drafts a D, then it makes me really wonder why Yzerman traded Hronek to us. I don't think this question gets asked enough here as all we talk about is how he's arguebly Detroit's best d-man. Hronek is only 25 so even if Detroit is still rebuilding I don't see why they would give him up unless Yzerman sees a need to fill other positions. I think Detroit takes a forward if one of Barlow, Leonard or Benson is still there at 8th which is quite likely. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, canuckwings said:

If Detroit drafts a D, then it makes me really wonder why Yzerman traded Hronek to us. I don't think this question gets asked enough here as all we talk about is how he's arguebly Detroit's best d-man. Hronek is only 25 so even if Detroit is still rebuilding I don't see why they would give him up unless Yzerman sees a need to fill other positions. I think Detroit takes a forward if one of Barlow, Leonard or Benson is still there at 8th which is quite likely. 

Hronek was 1 year away from needing an extension 

and they have Seider as there number 1 RHD

he probably didn’t want to shell out big money to 2 RHD at this current time in their window, and he was the older and Seider is a higher end option.

Had an opportunity with the value meeting his trade requirements and he swung.

it wouldn’t be too crazy to think he drafts 1 or 2 of:

Simashev/Honzek/Wallinder

And RHD are valuable trade assets why would he not draft okenbecause they traded Hronek I don’t understand? If anything it would give them greater reason to draft a new RHD to have in the system. 

also they draft 9th and 17th. They could take two forwards or they could take a d and a forward 

I wouldn’t be shocked if they took the best forward available at 9 and Bonk at 17 too

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Its exactly, what we need to support Hronek. 
So fed up with our D not able to defend. 
LHD.... would prefer RHD, but if Wilander is gone go for Simashev and see if we can trade for a good defensive RHD or RHD prospect to play with QH instead.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah I was also looking at that. Nashville’s 15OA plus one of their 2nd’s for our 11OA. I think it all depends on who is available at 11. If Wood or Willander are available at 15 then I would do that deal 100%. 

I’s also do 15OA and Sissons for 11OA. Again depends who is available at 11OA. 

I think they take Wilander, if he is avaiable at 11... need that RHD in the system, but yes if they feel there is a decent selection absilable at 11, they might take the chance and go for the 15th + a 2nd. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Its exactly, what we need to support Hronek. 
So fed up with our D not able to defend. 
LHD.... would prefer RHD, but if Wilander is gone go for Simashev and see if we can trade for a good defensive RHD or RHD prospect to play with QH instead.

I'll be shocked if Simashev or any of the Russians go as early as 11, except for maybe Michkov. They weren't even allowed to go to the combine. No physical or medicals, and perhaps more importantly right now, no interviews. Apparently Russia won't even allow scouts to come in to watch games. I'm sure most teams have scouts who are Russian nationals based there, but even if your Russian scouts are raving about a player, how are you supposed to include them on your list without crossover? It's just video. Last year Danila Yurov should have been an easy top 15 pick by all accounts and he fell to 24. It may not be as much in the public conscious over here as it was last summer shortly after it started, but the situation hasn't really changed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1. CHI - Bedard

2. ANA - Fantilli

3. CBJ - Smith (Jackets need a C and take the American)

4. SJ - Carlsson goes to Karlsson's team

5. MTL - Michkov (Habs get the Caufield bookend, Ovie is bummed)

6. ARI - Reinbacher

7. PHI - Dvorsky

8. WAS - Simashev (they got a Russian anyway)

9. DET - Benson (Stevie needs wingers, so he takes the best one)

10. STL - Leonard

11. VAN's choices - Willander, Danielson, Barlow and Wood  (didn't they take all of these guys out to dinner?)

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3