The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

On 2/19/2023 at 3:39 PM, DudePerfect said:

Love it. Teams who miss out on Gavrikov and Chychrun will drive up the price on the next tier of defensemen like Soucy (if made available), McCabe, Schenn, Kulikov. Looking at teams like Toronto, Boston, Calgary, Tampa?, Minnesota? . One of those teams will eventually put a 3rd on the table, it'll be so hard to get a 2nd.. but out of those teams, I would say Calgary and maybe Toronto being desperate for the physicality he brings. 

A 3rd? Na keep Schenn. 

I think we would have to discuss any trade with Schenn he's got a baby on the way. I could see him accepting potentially Seattle/Edm. I would want a 2nd minimum if they advance a round they add. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

A 3rd? Na keep Schenn. 

I think we would have to discuss any trade with Schenn he just had a baby. I could see him accepting potentially Seattle. I would want their best 2nd minimum if they advance a round they add. 

Totally hammer.

Luke brings so much to this team.

I really respect the fact you brought up the birth of his child, I did this in another thread.

Some things are bigger than the game.  

If he did agree to be traded I wouldn't accept less than a second, it would be a late second at that. 

I know he hasn't lived up to the scoring potential of where he was drafted, 5th, however he has certainly lived up to it career wise playing over 900 games so far, and playing his role well.

He literally is the guy you want mentoring your younger players.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Totally hammer.

Luke brings so much to this team.

I really respect the fact you brought up the birth of his child, I did this in another thread.

Some things are bigger than the game.  

If he did agree to be traded I wouldn't accept less than a second, it would be a late second at that. 

I know he hasn't lived up to the scoring potential of where he was drafted, 5th, however he has certainly lived up to it career wise playing over 900 games so far, and playing his role well.

He literally is the guy you want mentoring your younger players.

Absolutely. I think it was in another thread that his agent had brought up the possibility of trading him and re signing him in the off season. I think you have to be very careful if you do this that Schenn is involved 100% of the way in the process. I would not want to risk souring that relationship. IMO his value to the club greatly exceeds a late 2nd so if we decide to go this path we want to make damn sure he's in a Canucks jersey in September.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

8 minutes ago, BertaNuck said:

How many players are nhl ready next year in this years draft

It's almost always a terrible mistake to do that. I wouldn't really concern myself with this aspect. To answer your question probably the top 3. I sure wouldn't want to be the GM who was responsible for Bedard taking a head shot from Looch. Another year of Michigan would be good for Fantilli. Leo might get the Guldhjälmen next year.

• There it is 1

7 hours ago, hammertime said:

I think this is it. If you don't draft em you won't get em. It sucks when one doesn't work out but that doesn't mean you stop drafting them. It means you can't put all your eggs in one basket and instead make like LA and fill your pipe with em. 

Beauvellier is working out great and he was a toss-in for cap reasons. We can find wingers on the market. Heck Brock's career 0.8PPG even this year he's 0.75 can't flippin give him away. Garland was top 30 in the league last year in 5v5 production 7th in penalties drawn differential. We are discussing buyout.

Not gonna hold my breath on Livingstone but I'd be very happy if we got him. Get him or not I don't think it changes anything. The house that Benning built has no foundation. We need to pour some concrete before we discuss finishings. As much as I like Benson Smith we can get those guys in 2025. We aren't ready to be adding those players right now. 

I like Simashev, Reinbacher, If we could convince the Blues to trade us their 9th and one of their late 1sts to move up to 5/6 that would be ideal.

9th Reinbacher/Simashev

14th Ritchie/Danielson

27th/29th Hrabal time to get a G cooking deffer to Ian   

37th Bonk/Akey/Strbak/Minnitian

Fingers crossed Lekkerimaki turns into a top 6 scorer and we can forget about passing up Benson Smith.

Keep an eye out on Eric pohlkamp. Wjac all star who is putting up some numbers good numbers for an rhd in cedar rapids.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Isam said:

Keep an eye out on Eric pohlkamp. Wjac all star who is putting up some numbers good numbers for an rhd in cedar rapids.

Nice good call.  Wow what a meteoric rise. Looks like he lost some weight and exploded this year. Wonder if he can skate. 5g 2a in 4 games at the WJAC is pretty spiffy. Leading all D in the USHL.  

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Nice good call.  Wow what a meteoric rise. Looks like he lost some weight and exploded this year. Wonder if he can skate. 5g 2a in 4 games at the WJAC is pretty spiffy. Leading all D in the USHL.  

Yeah, he is not bad still needs a bit of work on the skating, but the stride has improved alot. I like that he committed to Bemidji.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, hammertime said:

I think this is it. If you don't draft em you won't get em. It sucks when one doesn't work out but that doesn't mean you stop drafting them. It means you can't put all your eggs in one basket and instead make like LA and fill your pipe with em. 

Beauvellier is working out great and he was a toss-in for cap reasons. We can find wingers on the market. Heck Brock's career 0.8PPG even this year he's 0.75 can't flippin give him away. Garland was top 30 in the league last year in 5v5 production 7th in penalties drawn differential. We are discussing buyout.

Not gonna hold my breath on Livingstone but I'd be very happy if we got him. Get him or not I don't think it changes anything. The house that Benning built has no foundation. We need to pour some concrete before we discuss finishings. As much as I like Benson Smith we can get those guys in 2025. We aren't ready to be adding those players right now. 

I like Simashev, Reinbacher, If we could convince the Blues to trade us their 9th and one of their late 1sts to move up to 5/6 that would be ideal.

9th Reinbacher/Simashev

14th Ritchie/Danielson

27th/29th Hrabal time to get a G cooking deffer to Ian   

37th Bonk/Akey/Strbak/Minnitian

Fingers crossed Lekkerimaki turns into a top 6 scorer and we can forget about passing up Benson Smith.

Yeah, the only thing that scares me is our own draft board. Hopefully they don't do anything weird. There should be some consensus choices where we end up drafting. There will be players slipping. It will all depend on their final ranking. Someone may be there they consider to good to pass up. Like Lekkerimaki lol.

20 minutes ago, Isam said:

Yeah, he is not bad still needs a bit of work on the skating, but the stride has improved alot. I like that he committed to Bemidji.

How good is he at playing Defence ? 

I see he is ranked in the 120ish area NA skaters. 

If he can play D he is definitely worth a flyer on in the 6th or 7th round. 

Love how you keep pulling these kids outa your hat.

16 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, the only thing that scares me is our own draft board. Hopefully they don't do anything weird. There should be some consensus choices where we end up drafting. There will be players slipping. It will all depend on their final ranking. Someone may be there they consider to good to pass up. Like Lekkerimaki lol.

I don't think they can screw this one up too badly unless they pass on Michkov or something.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

How good is he at playing Defence ? 

I see he is ranked in the 120ish area NA skaters. 

If he can play D he is definitely worth a flyer on in the 6th or 7th round. 

Love how you keep pulling these kids outa your hat.

He has good gap control and positioning. He can play with a bit of an edge and is not afraid of getting his nose dirty. I love his shot. Yeah, he is definitely worth taking a flyer on.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

It's interesting though because prior to the war in Russia I would have said I can't imagine a world Michkov doesn't go 2nd overall. At the time I even thought he might be in the conversation for 1st. Remember the U18s where Michkov was under-age and a half (late birthday) and Bedard was full double under-age, but Michkov out-produced him. At Hlinkas he made all other competition irrelevant. If he was able to compete in major international competitions this year, I don't think it would be in question.

This may be the most insensitive thing ever said but I think the worst tragedy of this war on Ukraine is that we didn't get to see Bedard-Michkov go head to head at World Juniors. Michkov might have put up 20+ points of his own.

Word is now out in and around the Russian media that any and ALL men under 30 are now available for mobilization.  This includes athletes formerly deemed untouchable under the initial doctrine of the mobilization.  A team could very well now draft Michkov and see him on the front lines prior to or after the draft.  If this does in fact come to fruition, Michkov will be absolutely persona non grata for this years draft which is genuinely insane to think about

• Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

The more I watch of Gulyayev, I find it hard to believe most teams would have anyone else as their top ranked defenseman this year (Russian factor notwithstanding). I know, I know, 5'10, but Drysdale was considered a runaway favorite most of his draft year. Gulyayev is in that echelon.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

It's interesting though because prior to the war in Russia I would have said I can't imagine a world Michkov doesn't go 2nd overall. At the time I even thought he might be in the conversation for 1st. Remember the U18s where Michkov was under-age and a half (late birthday) and Bedard was full double under-age, but Michkov out-produced him. At Hlinkas he made all other competition irrelevant. If he was able to compete in major international competitions this year, I don't think it would be in question.

This may be the most insensitive thing ever said but I think the worst tragedy of this war on Ukraine is that we didn't get to see Bedard-Michkov go head to head at World Juniors. Michkov might have put up 20+ points of his own.

In our micro environment as hockey fans we truly were robbed of not seeing that. Very small on the grand scheme of things in comparison but I get what you are saying completely.

I just cant see a team passing on Fantili in the two hole.

If I was a GM I wouldn't.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Thought I'd put together a quick list of my top 5 defensemen. All are right shots except Gulyayev. I've said all year that Minnetian is the most dynamic defenseman in the draft, but Gulyayev is in that conversation, and with probably the most polished defensive game of the players listed.

1. Aram Minnetian RD 6'0

2. Mikhail Gulyayev LD 5'10

3. David Reinbacher RD 6'2

4. Lukas Dragicevic RD 6'2

5. Axel Sandin-Pellikka RD 5'11

Interesting.

I have a hard time ranking the dmen since I have barley seen Gulyayev, Simashev and Reinbacher play.

So my opinion on them is based purely off what I have heard and read mostly.

Whereas Lukas and ASP I have seen a lot more of. So biased to liking them more.

And Aram I have kind of overlooked and because of you I am watching CLOSER. So I feel like I cant properly rank the dmen currently:(

19 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Interesting.

I have a hard time ranking the dmen since I have barley seen Gulyayev, Simashev and Reinbacher play.

So my opinion on them is based purely off what I have heard and read mostly.

Whereas Lukas and ASP I have seen a lot more of. So biased to liking them more.

And Aram I have kind of overlooked and because of you I am watching CLOSER. So I feel like I cant properly rank the dmen currently:(

Well, I know nothing about Simashev. Haven't seen too much Reinbacher either. The others I've seen all quite a bit.

Apologies because I know you're a ASP fan, but from what I have seen and heard, basically everything people want Sandin-Pellikka to be, Gulyayev actually is.

• Cheers 2

40 NHL scouts watched defensive prospect David Reinbacher (RHD) in yesterdays game against the top team EHC Biel. Unfortunately Biel, currently ranked second in the league lost it's home game against a bottom feeder team on Sunday and bounced back in yesterday's game against Reinbacher's team. EHC Biel brought their A-game and had a 5:0 lead after the first period. Was one of the most brutal first periods for EHC Kloten.

10 NHL scouts watched Reinbacher in November 2023. and now we're at 40 scouts in February 2023. That demonstrates that he has drawn significant interest from lot's of NHL teams over the last couple of months.

one a side note I would like to mention that Reinbacher as a 18 year old is the only D-Man on the team with a positive +/-. That's quite impressive although it's just one stat amongst many other stats. A positive +/-  as a top pairing D on a weak team is IMO more impressive than a positive +/- for a defensive prospect playing for a team that's currently sitting on the top of the standings in the SHL.  I don't like to take anything away from what Axel-Sandin Pelikka has achieved so far.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2