The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

4 hours ago, R3aL said:

Owen Pickering starting off the year looking very good. 

Nothign against Our guy but this talk of bichsel I would have taken Pickering over him as next dman 

Would have chosen either of them tbh.... Probably Bichsel, but either would fit the mould of, what we need on the backend.

21 hours ago, spook007 said:

Would have chosen either of them tbh.... Probably Bichsel, but either would fit the mould of, what we need on the backend.

Pickering has such a big ceiling I think but I understand why we took lekkeriamki

and as for Pickering / Bichsel ya either would have been nice additions to our d pool but going into the draft I had convinced myself we would take Pickering and really got myself hyped on him. His ultimate upside scenario I was visualizing with everything breaking right for him. And honestly looks like he’s trending that way to me right now. Looks like an elite dman in the making with size, skating, ability and leadership 

• Cheers 2

55 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Pickering has such a big ceiling I think but I understand why we took lekkeriamki

and as for Pickering / Bichsel ya either would have been nice additions to our d pool but going into the draft I had convinced myself we would take Pickering and really got myself hyped on him. His ultimate upside scenario I was visualizing with everything breaking right for him. And honestly looks like he’s trending that way to me right now. Looks like an elite dman in the making with size, skating, ability and leadership 

Yes I had myself hoping for Bichsel, but was hoping for either....

We were picking in the 'maybe/who knows' land, and I felt big sturdy d-men was/is something, we were/are in dire need of...

We are well set atm with fwds. And although we need more in the prospect pool, the ceiling/floor is kinda meh'ish, and definitely warrented a chance to be taken on big Dmen. 

should we miss the playoffs this season (still believe we are capable to make it), we will again be in the same territory...

I don't know to much about, who is better than whom, so I tend to follow, what other (incl yourself) see and advice. And if HOH is right, there isn't much D to chose from next year, so I think we missed the boat here. 

This has nothing to do with my feelings towards Lekkerimaki, who may end up a super player, but we need D, and there were 2 Dmen, right were we were picking, ready to be taken. 

Edited by spook007
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

Yes I had myself hoping for Bichsel, but was hoping for either....

We were picking in the 'maybe/who knows' land, and I felt big sturdy d-men was/is something, we were/are in dire need of...

We are well set atm with fwds. And although we need more in the prospect pool, the ceiling/floor is kinda meh'ish, and definitely warrented a chance to be taken on big Dmen. 

should we miss the playoffs this season (still believe we are capable to make it), we will again be in the same territory...

I don't know to much about, who is better than whom, so I tend to follow, what other (incl yourself) see and advice. And if HOH is right, there isn't much D to chose from next year, so I think we missed the boat here. 

This has nothing to do with my feelings towards Lekkerimaki, who may end up a super player, but we need D, and there were 2 Dmen, right were we were picking, ready to be taken. 

Well what's happened, happened. Let's rally behind Lekkerimaki and hope he pans out. No sense in debating the past.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Kuzy said:

Well what's happened, happened. Let's rally behind Lekkerimaki and hope he pans out. No sense in debating the past.

Absolutely....

But thats beside the point. This was not about being unhappy about Lekkerimaki, but management not addressing an obvious issue. 
As I said earlier we had 2 Dmen available at the place we drafted. Both taken within 3 picks of us... both would / could have filled a needed position in the organisation. 

PA didn't see it like that. Took Lekkerimaki and now he is our prospect, and like any prospect we are fully behind him. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 10/26/2022 at 3:12 PM, R3aL said:

Any of the top 4 Centres would be a welcome addition.

Unfortunately the Canucks will do everything in their power to not get a top 10 pick and be forced to draft at pick #12-18 where they miss out on the elite guys.

Charlie Stremel with his ultra rare power forward size and skill combo and Cameron Allen as the right hand shot puck mover skating d man they desperately need would have been nice but it seems management is hell-bent on trying to sneak into the playoffs.

So it's going to be another boring draft settling for a mediocre pick.

Edited by Bruce Boudreau
  • RoughGame 1

On 10/26/2022 at 11:53 PM, R3aL said:

My expectation of getting bedard this year is the same as my expectation I’d win the PNE prize home.. except I probably had a statistical advantage in winning the home lol

Bedard would look great on a line with Trevor Zegras with the Ducks.

That way he can torment the Canucks in the same division for years and years to come.

Drysdale on d and the Ducks have the makings of a nice core.

Edited by Bruce Boudreau
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Bruce Boudreau said:

Unfortunately the Canucks will do everything in their power to not get a top 10 pick and be forced to draft at pick #12-18 where they miss out on the elite guys.

Charlie Stremel with his ultra rare power forward size and skill combo and Cameron Allen as the right hand shot puck mover skating d man they desperately need would have been nice but it seems management is hell-bent on trying to sneak into the playoffs.

Both should be available in the 12-18 range.

1 minute ago, Bruce Boudreau said:

Alas there may be some hope yet. Is not Allen not currently the top projected RHD on most boards though?

I feel like I could buy Stramel being there but not Allen yet what says you?

Meh. Still too early to say much for sure, but personally I have both in that 15-20 range. I suppose I would agree that Allen is more likely to make it into the top 10 but with the way both have performed so far this season I'd be surprised if either of them do.

• There it is 1

3 hours ago, Bruce Boudreau said:

Don’t know about that Allen not looking so great rn 

3 hours ago, Bruce Boudreau said:

That way he can torment the Canucks in the same division for years and years to come.

Don’t you put that on me Ricky Bobby!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bruce Boudreau said:

Call me crazy but I rather see Bedard with any other team other than the ducks . Ducks with Zegras, Mactavish and Bedard is scary. 

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Tank4Bedard said:

Call me crazy but I rather see Bedard with any other team other than the ducks . Ducks with Zegras, Mactavish and Bedard is scary. 

And with their defensive prospects coming up honestly them and the kings are projecting to be powerhouses. Especially if byfield hits 

This really could be the year we finally get the crown jewel of our decade long rebuild / retool that we need. Top 3 maybe even 4 with Leo look like franchise changers.

• Vintage 1