The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

On 11/6/2022 at 8:17 AM, Wolfgang Durst said:

@Vintage Canuck you rarely post in the NHL entry draft thread. The fact that you post something in here this early in the season gives me an indicatiion about the current state of this franchise. Sadly Bruce hasn't found solutions to the  most pressing issues even after 12 games into the season. I can't imagine Aquillini firing Bruce, because he would have to pay not only Greener and Bruce but also the newly hired headcoach.

Lmao 

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Also has a more refined 2-way game.

That too.  But when you look at what he's doing having just turned 18 in October at 2 points per game with a 55.1% face off percentage against grown ass men up to age 26 it's genuinely insane the level of production he has.  

Better than Eichel, Gaudreau, Pacioretty, Caufield, Toews, Kessler, Heatly, St Louis, Pavelski.

His production right now at barely 18 years old is genuinely so insane it is worth talking about supplanting the heir apparent to McJesus as Bedard has been billed for a few years

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

That too.  But when you look at what he's doing having just turned 18 in October at 2 points per game with a 55.1% face off percentage against grown ass men up to age 26 it's genuinely insane the level of production he has.  

Better than Eichel, Gaudreau, Pacioretty, Caufield, Toews, Kessler, Heatly, St Louis, Pavelski.

His production right now at barely 18 years old is genuinely so insane it is worth talking about supplanting the heir apparent to McJesus as Bedard has been billed for a few years

IMO the top 3 in this draft could all be argued as generational talents. 

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

IMO the top 3 in this draft could all be argued as generational talents. 

Absolutely no question.  The insane thing is Carlson MIGHT be the best out of all of them.

But then I'd draft Fantilli based on his profile image alone

image.png.41f43c9f25cdd7907522f3b8ea92f20f.png

• Haha 3

Just now, HighOnHockey said:

Yager ahead of Carlsson seems insane to me.

Yeah I was surprised to see that as well, but I don't know much about Yager other then his cool last name.  

6 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Yeah, he was the consensus number two until this start Fantilli got off to. Hard to say how the Russia situation and his contract through 2026 will impact his draft ranking though.

Hard not to look at Carlsson in that #3 spot. Michkev seems abit risky. 

Oh my heavens Aram Minnetian is so fucking good. How he is not ranked in the first round by any major media outlet yet is beyond me.

Zeev Buium is fantastic too. Those two look like pretty clearly the best defensemen on this NTDP squad. Buium as a late birthday isn't elegible until the 2024 draft though.

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Someone could draft Michkov 5 or later and win out.

My issue with him is skill aside, he is such a tiny body.

Bigger than Bedard, no?  Maybe the best player for us in this draft isn’t either of those top two?  

On 10/26/2022 at 10:33 AM, R3aL said:

Minnetian is he sound defensively?

On 10/26/2022 at 4:30 PM, HighOnHockey said:

One thing I like is he's proactive defensively. Likes to step up and be physical and disrupt. Can be a weakness if it is excessive and reckless, but it can be coached; he just wants to be a difference-maker all over the ice.

https://www.usahockeyntdp.com/watchfivenations

Here's a good example of what I mean at the 26:26 mark. Just steps up and stops the play.

He ended up with a goal and assist this game. Was dominant all over the ice. Arguably the best player in the game except for probably Will Smith, who is just dynamite by the way. Minnetian also played a regular shift on the PK. He was not on the top PP unit, but it's hard to fault him for that as they only use one D with Smith on the other point, and while Minnetian may be the guy you want carrying the puck through the neutral zone, Zeev Buium is simply a genius on the offensive blueline. He'll go very early in 2024.

• Cheers 1