The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

2 hours ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

From the scouting reports I've read, a lot of the highly gifted offensive wingers in this draft suffer from an incosistent effort, can be prone to floating, or need to improve their defensive game.  Sale, Cristall, Yager all have a mixture of these weaknesses that can easily be fixed in a more structured NHL system.  Not sure where I would rank Sale, though 

With cristall, it isn't the effort. He needs to learn more structure and simplfy the game so he can be more successful at it. Talent is there in spades.

3 minutes ago, Isam said:

With cristall, it isn't the effort. He needs to learn more structure and simplfy the game so he can be more successful at it. Talent is there in spades.

I've seen a few lists that have Cristall ahead of Sale and Yager.  They all have the skill and intelligence to carve out a successful career in the right situation and I wouldn't be upset if we drafted one of them if they are BPA on our list.  I can see all three drafted in the top 10.  I can also see them drafted 10-15.  This draft is going to be crazy fun!

Hoglander

Karlsson

Lekkerimaki

Lockhart

Forsell

These aren't big fellas at all. Maybe Klimovich and McDonough make/sign with the Canucks? I think the Canucks should draft a bigger player, and developed properly could become a really good power forward.

Assuming Canucks draft outside of the Top 10, because they're too darn good:

Dvorsky

Leonard

Barlow

or a D

• Cheers 2

16 hours ago, R3aL said:

Unless Sale shows very well at the U18s I don’t have him just on winger depth head of:

michkov

benson

leonard

barlow

cristall

wood

honzek

but

Musty

etc so many great wingers and I’m just not sold on Sale at all

didn’t look good at 4Nations, wasn’t impressed with world juniors looked like a line passenger 

but if he can convince me otherwise with the u18s let see

Yeah I don't know what I was thinking with regards to my last comments on Sale. There are just too many other good players.

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Michkov falls to us. We are going to get a phenomenal player! 

Very doubtful he gets past 5 I think. Who knows but I think we get someone else. I think a center would be the wise choice. Even regarding the retool I can see one of the forwards contributing sooner.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, hammertime said:

We are moving into Calum Ritchie, Nate Danielson, Barlow, Stramel territory I'm good w that these are the guys who win playoff rounds. 

If Reinbacher is off the board which I believe he will be. One thing I will say that I really like about Axel Pellikka if we go for him is that he is constantly playing the body on D that's not to say he is laying thunderous hits because he isn't but like say Troy Stetcher he steps up on guys at the blue line to put the opposition offside or gives nudges to create enough separation that they can't make a play on the puck in a dangerous spot. I think his defensive game is quite underrated. I'm not convinced he will translate to being a top pairing guy but if he's a mid pairing RHD I think thats a win in the 8-14 pick range.  

So the tank is dead I think thats not the worst thing. It seems pretty unanimous Pete and Hughes don't want to be around for a rebuild so lets keep winning I like how the team is playing right now.

haven't just looked but i think we would have to pick up 10 points to get to the 10-14 range

5 hours ago, hammertime said:

We are moving into Calum Ritchie, Nate Danielson, Barlow, Stramel territory I'm good w that these are the guys who win playoff rounds. 

If Reinbacher is off the board which I believe he will be. One thing I will say that I really like about Axel Pellikka if we go for him is that he is constantly playing the body on D that's not to say he is laying thunderous hits because he isn't but like say Troy Stetcher he steps up on guys at the blue line to put the opposition offside or gives nudges to create enough separation that they can't make a play on the puck in a dangerous spot. I think his defensive game is quite underrated. I'm not convinced he will translate to being a top pairing guy but if he's a mid pairing RHD I think thats a win in the 8-14 pick range.  

So the tank is dead I think thats not the worst thing. It seems pretty unanimous Pete and Hughes don't want to be around for a rebuild so lets keep winning I like how the team is playing right now.

true ... petey, hughes, demko, this is our shot. i think we can get a valuable piece still where we pick

5 hours ago, Odd. said:

Reinbacher is my pick. RHD for Hughes 

From two days ago...  by the way the atmosphere looks so fun in the Swiss League!  

9 hours ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

From the scouting reports I've read, a lot of the highly gifted offensive wingers in this draft suffer from an incosistent effort, can be prone to floating, or need to improve their defensive game.  Sale, Cristall, Yager all have a mixture of these weaknesses that can easily be fixed in a more structured NHL system.  Not sure where I would rank Sale, though 

Ya just not impressed at all see what he does in April at the u18s

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

From two days ago...  by the way the atmosphere looks so fun in the Swiss League!  

2010 olympics realllllly showed their fan atmosphere to me. Pretty awesome.

Im like this kid more and more and more.

Especially considering the level of talent, age and way they forecheck win the league and how well he is doing, hard not to imagine him becoming an absolute monster beside Hughes.

6 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I don't know what I was thinking with regards to my last comments on Sale. There are just too many other good players.

Very doubtful he gets past 5 I think. Who knows but I think we get someone else. I think a center would be the wise choice. Even regarding the retool I can see one of the forwards contributing sooner.

Well he’s high on a lot of lists right now so it’s understandable 

59 minutes ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

Not sure if this has been shared, but I really enjoyed this single game breakdown.  Some interesting thoughts ponder...

Such a great video.

Should just reinforce everyone to not be worried about drafting 6-9.

As of right now, I would be very happy leaving the draft with one of Moore or Leonard.

Like how he picked this game and broke down Perron with it too.

Jayden Perron looks like a very smart, complete player.  He's only listed at 5'8 and his rankings go from 8th overall by Smaht Scouting, to 50th overall by Bob McKenzie.  

Silver lining: we're picking top-10, and there's slim odds that we'll get Yzerman'd at the pick right before ours. I'll just go with that...

Dvorsky would be great, and Barlow is an absolute animal. Reinbacher would obviously be great too, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's St. Louis bound. We'll leapfrog St. Louis, sorry folks. :(

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, hammertime said:

I'm good with Barlow. 

17 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hoglander

Karlsson

Lekkerimaki

Lockhart

Forsell

These aren't big fellas at all. Maybe Klimovich and McDonough make/sign with the Canucks? I think the Canucks should draft a bigger player, and developed properly could become a really good power forward.

Assuming Canucks draft outside of the Top 10, because they're too darn good:

Dvorsky

Leonard

Barlow

or a D

Karlsson and Forsell are decent sized. I was surprised by how thick and strong Karlsson looked at the young stars in Penticton.  Regardless yes we need more thickness in the system more importantly we need more edge would really love to see the Canucks get a guy like Will Cuylle or Reid Schafer. I don't really see that player in this draft. But I'm gonna keep looking in the 3rd round there might be. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, hammertime said:

I only watched one game of Axel Pellika and it was the World Juniors where Canada smoked them, but I can't say I liked much about his game. He was running around and constantly making bad decisions.  

I guess he was out of his depth in that game so I should give him another chance. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I only watched one game of Axel Pellika and it was the World Juniors where Canada smoked them, but I can't say I liked much about his game. He was running around and constantly making bad decisions.  

I guess he was out of his depth in that game so I should give him another chance. 

Pretty tough game to judge him off tbh.

Stacked lineup and its very rare a kid his age is the top pairing dman for Sweden to even face Canada.

Could argue almost the entire Swedish lineup looked very bad that game.