The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN signs UFA Motte

Motte is still a UFA. VAN should make an offer of $1.4m x 1 year. 

Motte would still be an excellent player to have on our 4th line and on the PK. He can step up to the 3rd line in emergency. And we can flip him to a contender again at the TDL if we wish.

Signing him at $1.4m would allow us to ice this lineup while remaining cap compliant:

Pearson Miller Garland

Mikheyev Horvat Boeser

Kuzmenko Pettersson Podkolzin

Motte Joshua Lazar

(Dickinson or Hoglander)

OEL Myers

Hughes Schenn

Dermott Poolman

(Rathbone Burroughs)

Demko (Martin)

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Oregon.Duck said:

Motte probably gets $2.5M-$3M. We can't afford that

He's probably holding out for that sort of contract, but who is going to pay him that? 

If he hasn't received a better offer by now, then I think a short term $1.4m deal to a familiar team and surroundings might well suit him 

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He's not getting anything close to that now.  He's probably going to get close to what the OP has suggested at $1.4 million.

I'd love to get Motte back at that price tag.  However, we are already over the cap and still need help on defence.  If Miller does get traded and we free up some space then perhaps that could open up a spot.  Motte is probably a guy that won't get signed until September unless he lowers his asking price...

I don't think we are over the cap when Ferland is placed on LTIR. If there are no further trades or signings then this is our projected roster, with a cap hit of $81.9m:

Pearson Miller Garland

Mikheyev Horvat Boeser

Dickinson Joshua Lazar

(Hoglander)

OEL Myers

Hughes Schenn

Dermott Poolman

(Rathbone Burroughs)

Demko (Martin)

Adding Motte at $1.4m would allow us to waive either Dickinson or Hoglander and still be cap compliant.

EDIT: Agreed that we need help on D, but that won't be in the form of a depth signing for $1.4m or less. It will require some sort of trade I believe.

Edited by BigTramFan

1 hour ago, Oregon.Duck said:

Motte probably gets $2.5M-$3M. We can't afford that

That’s what people have been saying in these forums for the last year or so. Had always boggled my mind. Its why I really didn’t understand trading him in the first place. He going to get about half of that.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I don't think we are over the cap when Ferland is placed on LTIR. If there are no further trades or signings then this is our projected roster, with a cap hit of $81.9m:

Pearson Miller Garland

Mikheyev Horvat Boeser

Dickinson Joshua Lazar

(Hoglander)

OEL Myers

Hughes Schenn

Dermott Poolman

(Rathbone Burroughs)

Demko (Martin)

Adding Motte at $1.4m would allow us to waive either Dickinson or Hoglander and still be cap compliant.

EDIT: Agreed that we need help on D, but that won't be in the form of a depth signing for $1.4m or less. It will require some sort of trade I believe.

We are at $81.75 million without Ferland, which means we would be operating in LTIR next year which is not ideal.  We should be at $82.5 million WITH Ferland, or slightly below so we have some wiggle room in terms of calling guys up.  I highly doubt that JR wants to operate in LTIR money next year, which is why I was puzzled when he signed Mikheyev to that huge contract but didn't ship anyone out.

I'm assuming a trade is coming but with all the teams being tight with the cap it may not be possible to move any money out without money coming back in, so we may have no choice but to operate in LTIR next year.

29 minutes ago, Devron said:

That’s what people have been saying in these forums for the last year or so. Had always boggled my mind. Its why I really didn’t understand trading him in the first place. He going to get about half of that.

Getting the extra pick was the right call. Canucks need more picks and he had some value.

With that said, if you can get Motte at like 1.4 x 2, I'd take that and run it back with him. A Motte - Lazar - Joshua line could be the best 4th line in the NHL next year.

I think it'll all depend on if Poolman is LTIR or not.

I also don't think this management group is scared of burying Jason Dickinson if they have too.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We are at $81.75 million without Ferland, which means we would be operating in LTIR next year which is not ideal.  We should be at $82.5 million WITH Ferland, or slightly below so we have some wiggle room in terms of calling guys up.  I highly doubt that JR wants to operate in LTIR money next year, which is why I was puzzled when he signed Mikheyev to that huge contract but didn't ship anyone out.

I'm assuming a trade is coming but with all the teams being tight with the cap it may not be possible to move any money out without money coming back in, so we may have no choice but to operate in LTIR next year.

Yeah it's not ideal to operate in LTIR, but realistically there is no way we are not operating in LTIR this coming season.

I can't see Dickinson, Pearson or Poolman getting traded now, since most teams have made their big moves and cap space is very limited around the league. Couple this with JRs comments about not using picks to clear cap and those guys are staying.

The only realistic way that we clear enough cap space to not operate in LTIR seems to be a Miller trade where we get back futures instead of roster players. In that case, we are probably not making the playoffs anyway, so it might be a good idea to ensure keep the roster + Ferland under $82.5m so that any bonuses can be paid and we minimise carryovers into 2023-24.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

If Motte could get anything north of 1.5 million, he would already have signed somewhere. Look around, there’s a lot of guys still looking for work.

Evan Rodrigues had 43 points last year.  He's still unsigned.  He could get less than $2 million on a one year deal.  If that is the case Motte could probably be had for the same contract he had last year.  I'd actually rather sign Rodrigues and see if there is a taker for Garland...

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Evan Rodrigues had 43 points last year.  He's still unsigned.  He could get less than $2 million on a one year deal.  If that is the case Motte could probably be had for the same contract he had last year.  I'd actually rather sign Rodrigues and see if there is a taker for Garland...

Yes agree that Rodrigues would be worth a close look. A righty and can play center, so would be versatile on our roster. Might be a bit too expensive even at ~$2m unless we traded someone else, as you say.

I actually think the strategy of trading Garland for a top-4 D is still a good one - might even save a bit of cap depending on who we get back. And then possibly sign Rodrigues and Motte with the cap difference and the extra $2.25m of cap space created by waiving Poolman + Dickinson.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

ah the elusive trade and sign, why the heck would motte want to come back here after we traded him, and vice versa JR and co obviously knew he was asking for too much and wasn't going to sign him.

it's not happening.

It's more common than sign and trade! Happens all the time. Braun was just signed by PHI after being traded from PHI to NYR last season. From the players' perspective I guess it depends on what their options are and whether the relationship was soured by being traded. Perhaps Motte really liked his 5 seasons in VAN and would be interested in coming back, especially if there aren't any better offers out there. We don't know, maybe he actually appreciated getting the chance to participate in the playoffs with NYR. His expectations on next contract may be more realistic now too...

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

It's more common than sign and trade! Happens all the time. Braun was just signed by PHI after being traded from PHI to NYR last season. From the players' perspective I guess it depends on what their options are and whether the relationship was soured by being traded. Perhaps Motte really liked his 5 seasons in VAN and would be interested in coming back, especially if there aren't any better offers out there. We don't know, maybe he actually appreciated getting the chance to participate in the playoffs with NYR. His expectations on next contract may be more realistic now too...

so what happens like what 1% of the time. cool story bro

• Sad 1