The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022-23 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

Hoglander & Karlsson look like they are ready to step right into the big club.  Garland and Boeser's understudies waiting in the wings.  Wolanin & Juulsen look ready to take the baton from OEL and Myers as well.  Silovs?  Great performance. 20th win and, I believe, 4th shutout

Edit:  3rd shutout this season, 1 last year

Edited by Googlie

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

This might be one of the best highlight reel fights of the AHL and the NHL of the year !!!!! Awesome..

did you see vinny going in with the crowd pump-up and the donald brashear fighting stance? it was awesome. 

• Cheers 1

was at the game tonight -- had an absolute blast. booing the tucson goalie everytime the puck got near him was awesome. 

I was behind the home net, so all 2nd period I was giving him the "iiiiiiii-vvaaaaaaan" mocking chant and bronx cheers when he made saves. I'm personally taking credit for breaking his brain. 

edit: also tried getting an "ar-turs si-lovs clap-clap clap-clap-clap" going in the third but it was only me. 

Edited by tas
  • Like 2

Sure loved Abby's game tonight, they sure don't give the other team much. I thought the whole defence was strong, but Womanin, Juulson and Woo stood out. Of the forwards, Hoglander and Karlsson s, and still keep his stick free..tood out, Rayt was generating lots of play, but no finish. He has to learn how to penetrate that area nearer the net - got to get right down in his skates and keep turning his hip into the checker to keep his stick free. I liked Bains to night, too, agressive and smart - takes it to the limit and lets you take the unnecessary penalty. 

Like the coaching on this team, everybody seems pretty clear on what his job is and how he supposed to do it. Great game, Abby.

7 hours ago, RayCathode said:

Sure loved Abby's game tonight, they sure don't give the other team much. I thought the whole defence was strong, but Womanin, Juulson and Woo stood out. Of the forwards, Hoglander and Karlsson s, and still keep his stick free..tood out, Rayt was generating lots of play, but no finish. He has to learn how to penetrate that area nearer the net - got to get right down in his skates and keep turning his hip into the checker to keep his stick free. I liked Bains to night, too, agressive and smart - takes it to the limit and lets you take the unnecessary penalty. 

Like the coaching on this team, everybody seems pretty clear on what his job is and how he supposed to do it. Great game, Abby.

I thought Raty was the best fwd tonight

9 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

What are your thoughts on his skating?

I'd say he's not "quick", but he's got pretty good speed when he's going.  He plays a much more cerebral, structured game than I expected, especially in his own end, and that allows him to overcome any perceived skating issues.  Id like to see a little more hustle in his own end as he can get caught behind plays a bit, but a lot of that will come with more experience playing at this level........he is only 20 after all.

He is able to shift gears pretty fast, especially from defense to offense, however and he moves through the nzone pretty quickly.  He skates well with the puck as well 

He does remind me of Bo early in his career.  Ultimately, I don't see skating hindering him much.  

Edited by stawns
  • Thanks 1

Watched the game last night on TV.

Lots of good performances, but the guy who has impressed me the most is the coach, Jeremy Colliton.

Abby just lost 3 very good forwards -- guys are at least marginal NHL'ers (and I think Podz is more than that). And the team doesn't miss a beat and plays a great "system" game against Tucson. And all three of those call-ups improved their play a lot in Abby. I can why JR and Alvin wanted Colliton. They "promoted" Trent Cull to get him out of the way and Colliton plays the kind of system and has the kind of approach that JR wants.

Nice to see Arty get another shutout and he made some good saves, but the team really did not give up much in front of him.  Silovs is much better now than at the beginning of the season and his overall season numbers are now starting to look pretty good.

Raty played a great game and was unlucky not to score.Everyone agrees that his biggest "weakness" is skating (kind of like Henrik Sedin). I hope the skating coach in Abby can help him make progress on his skating but not everyone is able to improve their skating. I would be satisfied with another Henrik Sedin. ::D

At the other end of the prospect list is Schmiemann. For a guy signed out of junior as a free agent overager (unsigned 6th round pick of Tampa from 2019), he has done well. He is a longshot to ever play in the NHL and may not even get a contract with Vancouver, but I like his progress. Nice to see him score.

Great to see what Abby is doing this season.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, JamesB said:

At the other end of the prospect list is Schmiemann. For a guy signed out of junior as a free agent overager (unsigned 6th round pick of Tampa from 2019), he has done well. He is a longshot to ever play in the NHL and may not even get a contract with Vancouver, but I like his progress. Nice to see him score.

Even if he only becomes a solid AHL'er that would be doing much better than most former 6th round picks. Nice to see steady improvement in so many of the young prospects.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, JamesB said:

Watched the game last night on TV.

Lots of good performances, but the guy who has impressed me the most is the coach, Jeremy Colliton.

Abby just lost 3 very good forwards -- guys are at least marginal NHL'ers (and I think Podz is more than that). And the team doesn't miss a beat and plays a great "system" game against Tucson. And all three of those call-ups improved their play a lot in Abby. I can why JR and Alvin wanted Colliton. They "promoted" Trent Cull to get him out of the way and Colliton plays the kind of system and has the kind of approach that JR wants.

Nice to see Arty get another shutout and he made some good saves, but the team really did not give up much in front of him.  Silovs is much better now than at the beginning of the season and his overall season numbers are now starting to look pretty good.

Raty played a great game and was unlucky not to score.Everyone agrees that his biggest "weakness" is skating (kind of like Henrik Sedin). I hope the skating coach in Abby can help him make progress on his skating but not everyone is able to improve their skating. I would be satisfied with another Henrik Sedin. ::D

Great to see what Abby is doing this season.

Great post, James.  What are your thoughts on Juulsen & Woo?  They seem to have progressed well this season.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Qwags said:

Is Tucson a rival of Abbotsford? Or are they just a goon squad?

They're decent - 1 point below .500 and lying g 6th out of 10 teams in the Pacific Division

Their Curtis Douglas, at 6'9" is the tallest player in pro hockey

2 of their 3 goalies are 6'6" and the 3rd is 6'5"  .... shades of our Marky and Nilsson era!!