The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dakota Joshua | #81 | C/W

Crabcakes

Little worried DJ might play himself into a pricy contract next season. His size, speed, sandpaper and skill are a hot commodity in the NHL. Look what Jeannot just went for.

I'm hoping PA can get ahead of the game and get him inked to an extension this summer. I would be fine with a 2 or 3 year 1.5 mil per deal for him. I'm sure Tocchet would push for it.

10 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Sorry, not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but given how DJ81 hasn't played C pretty much all season, maybe his thread title should be changed to reflect the actual position(s) he's played?  :ph34r:

True, but I think he should try playing C. His face-off percentages are pretty solid.

Also, I checked a lot of the main stat sites and he's still listed as a C. I'll add W as another position he plays.

• Cheers 1

• -AJ- changed the title to Dakota Joshua | #81 | C/W
  • 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Pettersson, Bear, Aman and Joshua should be priority signings this offseason. 

Agreed--though with Bear and Joshua, there could be a trap of signing for too much money, so caution should be taken not to give too much.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, KKnight said:

I think 1.5-1.75 over 3 years is fair for Joshua. 

That would be a fair deal--I'm just worried he'll ask for about $2.5M or something, which could get costly, especially if this year turns out to be a flash in the pan.

17 hours ago, -AJ- said:

That would be a fair deal--I'm just worried he'll ask for about $2.5M or something, which could get costly, especially if this year turns out to be a flash in the pan.

If anything Joshua's camp should be grateful Canucks took a chance on him and value him in high regard. 2.5 is a big overpayment. But 3 year secured term, with a nice pay bump to 1.5 or 1.75. Personally I feel that's fair for both sides. 

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Could he be a candidate for 3C?

He should be IMO. Played as a winger last year, but is solid at faceoffs unlike our other options.

• Thanks 1

On 4/7/2023 at 4:31 PM, KKnight said:

If anything Joshua's camp should be grateful Canucks took a chance on him and value him in high regard. 2.5 is a big overpayment. But 3 year secured term, with a nice pay bump to 1.5 or 1.75. Personally I feel that's fair for both sides. 

I agree Allvin can't over pay for Joshua 6'3, 208 lbs, so much potential ..

Contract 3yrs X  1.8 million AAV--- Canucks need to find more players like Joshua..

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2023 at 12:33 AM, Ted Lasso said:

Could he be a candidate for 3C?

I got thinking about this.

His points were excellent last season for his role. His small-sample-size faceoff % is very respectable (as has been pointed out prior). He's big and fast and the coach thinks he could be much better than he's been.

We keep talking about having too many wingers - and we do. What if Joshua played between Beauvilleur and Garland (all of a sudden the 3rd line isn't so terribly overpaid cause they're paying peanuts to the 3C).

That would be a spicy line that could actually do some damage on the scoreboard.

Kuzmenko Pettersson Podkolzin (I've said elsewhere why I think Podz would work well here, just cause he can dig for the other's scoring)

Mikheyev Miller Boeser (again Mikheyev's speed and digging/forecheck for the benefit of the other two)

Beauvilleur Joshua Garland (speed, tenacity, finish - this could be a legitimately excellent line)

Aman Bleuger DiGuiseppe

Edited by Putgolzin
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

I got thinking about this.

His points were excellent last season for his role. His small-sample-size faceoff % is very respectable (as has been pointed out prior). He's big and fast and the coach thinks he could be much better than he's been.

We keep talking about having too many wingers - and we do. What if Joshua played between Beauvilleur and Garland (all of a sudden the 3rd line isn't so terribly overpaid cause they're paying peanuts to the 3C).

That would be a spicy line that could actually do some damage on the scoreboard.

Kuzmenko Pettersson Podkolzin (I've said elsewhere why I think Podz would work well here, just cause he can dig for the other's scoring)

Mikheyev Miller Boeser (again Mikheyev's speed and digging/forecheck for the benefit of the other two)

Beauvilleur Joshua Garland (speed, tenacity, finish - this could be a legitimately excellent line)

Aman Bleuger DiGuiseppe

Interesting third line…I like it 

• 1 month later...