The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coach Colliton

Rate this topic

YEGCanuck

38 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

Who else is impressed by Coach Colliton? Have to admit I didn't pay attention to his hire and know little about him. That being said as a long-time fan I really enjoyed his interviews during the Young Stars tournament. He is a fresh face and voice decidedly different from the old stereotype of a minor league hockey coach. The team continues to invest in quality people which is a good sign for the short and long term. Opinions?

So far I like what I see. A new face/voice for interviews is always interesting and he has done well in those. Results at the Young stars so far speaks for itself, and I feel like he got the short end of the stick with his stint as an NHL coach. That Blackhawks team was just trash and not his fault he couldn't turn it around. So, I'll reserve my final judgement until I see how he handles Abby this year. 

• Like 1

One pundit recently (wish I could remember who) said that Cull had been more of a father figure to the kids in Utica, preparing them holistically for a life as a pro, whereas Colliton is more systemic, analytics driven.... you want to be in the NHL, here's what you need to do and we'll do everything in our power to help get you there. 

And ofc the Abby kids will listen to him, he does have NHL coaching credentials after all (not implying that they didn't listen to Cull, but a slightly different, nuanced,  message from him)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

I didn't realize he's only 37 years old. 

It was quite impressive he managed a head coaching gig on the Blackhawks when you think about it. 

As a coach you're kind of being put into the fire as a rookie when the top players on a team Kane/Toews are pretty much the same age as you are and you have the whole Kyle Beach scandal that was a whole other dumpster fire thrown at you.

He's been great with our baby canucks and as mentioned he's only 37. I think eventually he'll make his way back into the big leagues as he's really young.

• Cheers 2