The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks 650 Broadcast Radio Reception

Rate this topic

Andyches

I live in the South Surrey White Rock area.  The signal strength for radio 650 broadcasts is prohibitively weak during the day and worse in the evenings.  Will I have to endure another year of game broadcasts that just can not be viable?

6 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I'm just wondering why it isn't playing old songs from the 50s and 60s.

you mean like that old Bernie Holiday hit,

That'll be the day, when you win the cu-up

that'll be the day, when you win the cup

you say your gonna win it

you know that's a lie

that'll be the da-a-ay, when I die

9 hours ago, lmm said:

you mean like that old Bernie Holiday hit,

That'll be the day, when you win the cu-up

that'll be the day, when you win the cup

you say your gonna win it

you know that's a lie

that'll be the da-a-ay, when I die

I could go for that.  Back in the AM radio days it was C-ISL 650, the oldies channel.

Team 1040 was 1040 KIX, the top 40 channel in the 80s in the heyday of Madonna and George Michael and Bon Jovi.

14 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I could go for that.  Back in the AM radio days it was C-ISL 650, the oldies channel.

Team 1040 was 1040 KIX, the top 40 channel in the 80s in the heyday of Madonna and George Michael and Bon Jovi.

I am a fan of the old radio

I remember the 70s whilst delivering pizza CKDA1220, C-FUN 1410 and LG 73 would all be playing Hotel California or one of the many hits from Rumours at the same time

also Jim and Frosty Forrest on NW98

Edited by lmm
  • Like 1

I think it is the way AM works.  They have to turn down the strength of the signal at night as not to interfere with other stations in other markets.  Because the AM signal's wave bounces off the ionosphere and can travel thousands of miles away.  I left Nanaimo decades ago so I don't remember the station number or name, but overnight you used to be able to listen to a 50,000 watt AM station from Sacramento. It is where I fell in love with the old Art Bell show. Now technology has changed things and a live stream service like iHeartRadio and TuneIn work greatly. 

Edited by The Colt 45s

16 minutes ago, The Colt 45s said:

I think it is the way AM works.  They have to turn down the strength of the signal at night as not to interfere with other stations in other markets.  Because the AM signal's wave bounces off the ionosphere and can travel thousands of miles away.  I left Nanaimo decades ago so I don't remember the station number or name, but overnight you used to be able to listen to a 50,000 watt AM station from Sacramento. It is where I fell in love with the old Art Bell show. Now technology has changed things and a live stream service like iHeartRadio and TuneIn work greatly. 

I remember hearing that Sacramento station

I also heard CKDA (Victoria) in Edmonton once

25 minutes ago, The Colt 45s said:

like this

or this

Blasters 'Border Radio' 1982 - Bing video

or this

Wall Of Voodoo - Mexican Radio (Official Video) - Bing video

23 hours ago, Andyches said:

I live in the South Surrey White Rock area.  The signal strength for radio 650 broadcasts is prohibitively weak during the day and worse in the evenings.  Will I have to endure another year of game broadcasts that just can not be viable?

It will get better once the new Bridge is built by the NDP replacing the old Massay Tunnel....................in 2055 (or sooner, if Delta & Richmond switch voting from Liberal to NDP) like North Surrey & New West (where the previously allocated tunnel replacement funding was moved to after the last election for the Patullo bridge replacement - where they voted in two NDP MLA's)).............and then they can install repeater transmitters on the bridge structure to relay the signals all the way out there to the far reaches.of South Surrey at the edge of Canada..  Hang in there......

Edited by RU SERIOUS

On 10/5/2022 at 12:46 PM, Andyches said:

I use tune-in radio on my phone and Bluetooth it through my stereo

You can download it at the app store.  There's about a 30 second delay so it's almost live