The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 12, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

16 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

It still baffles me that an offside challenge which proves a player was 4" ahead of the play can call back a goal.... Yet a major infraction resulting in an injured player must be ignored. 

Also, if a referee can review a major penalty that THEY called, and overturn their own call if they got it wrong... How come they can't review a call they missed? 

What also baffles me is instead of reviewing it they realize they messed up and justify it by making a ton of make up calls 

I don't want make up calls, I want the right penalty called at the right time.

All those penalties slow the game down and honestly make it tough to watch. 

I want to watch back and forth hockey, not special teams hemmed in one zone.

The NHL needs to fix it.

And to make sure coaches don't go crazy challenging every penalty. Make the Rule that you can only challenge a penalty that results in a goal, and if you're incorrect on the challenge, for example, hypothetically,  let's say the Hughes high stick was actually a Puck or a inadvertent high stick by a teammate, then you give the 4 minute penalty to the Canucks and take away a timeout.

This keeps refs and coaches and players honest and maintains the flow of the game.

• Cheers 2

Bottom line is our Special Team has to be better. We can whine about the missed breakaways, or Huggies high stick, but the bottom line is we were 1 for 8 on the PP.......that is a .125 conversion rate, which is bad, league bad!

Not even sure how many PP's Edmonton had, but they did not take long, when they had them.

It is only 1 game, and it looks like Campbell is an upgrade over Smith, so Edmonton has upgraded their team. They were the 11th best team last year, and I think they are better, so it says alot about Vancouver and where we are at. Fix the special teams, and we will take that step up.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Scottydzik said:

You guys all laughed and made fun when I criticized boeser signing and said we need top 4 defense and that this team was not good enough to remain same Canucks may have one worst defense crews in nhl and it’s on jr and Alvin for not doing single thing about it

Relax. Why let players walk for nothing?

PA and Alvinn can make trades you know

3 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Makar didn't shut McDavid down lol.

Why do people keep perpetuating this nonsense? Makar looked brutal defensively in that series to the point of where panels kept highlighting how young he is as a defenseman constantly in that series.

He was a minus player in that series despite sweeping the team lol. 

B/c he's the best defenseman since Bobby Orr haven't you heard? (That's the desired narrative anyways) 

• There it is 1

3 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

Should have won this game for sure

Our PP let us down, but its not like we didn't have chances. Just gotta bury them

Our PK was really 75%. they scored when Hughes took the high stick and an empty netter

Petey was outstanding, Kuz, Hogs, Pods, Garly, OEL and yes,... even Poolman (68% corsi) had a good game. Having Myers out could be the best thing for him.

Lots to like here and we deserved to win, so can't wait for Philly!

Poolman did have a decent game, but having Myers out didn't help him. Playing him with Stillman on the 3rd pair is the best thing to build his confidence and such

Just now, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Relax. Why let players walk for nothing?

PA and Alvinn can make trades you know

And they didn’t they should of traded boeser or Garland for borderline top 4 d well also bringing in d in free agency instead he trades 2nd round pick get rid of Player there’s no way 2nd garland/boeser doesn’t bring us back good defencemen without improvements on back end the Canucks are fringe wildcard team

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

It's one of the beautiful things about hockey and why they play 7 game series' in the playoffs.

Any given night, a team can win. Good ones just win more often. 

Last night was a close game, we had a huge missed call and then we were dealt some pain by the worlds best player.

I think as a squad we are better than EDM but we can't give them PP's and we need to be better at containing McJesus.

I agree completely, special teams sunk us and we are playing with fire giving that team opportunities.

I do stand by what I said about Horvat though. I can't get over this media driven Couturier things. Couts was matching up against Crosby/Malkin in the playoffs as a 19 year old rookie. Horvat isn't Danault defensively let alone Couturier.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

And they didn’t they should of traded boeser or Garland for borderline top 4 d well also bringing in d in free agency instead he trades 2nd round pick get rid of Player there’s no way 2nd garland/boeser doesn’t bring us back good defencemen without improvements on back end the Canucks are fringe wildcard team

I'm glad they are being patient and they want to see how things go.

Making knee jerk moves is Benning esque

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

What also baffles me is instead of reviewing it they realize they messed up and justify it by making a ton of make up calls 

I don't want make up calls, I want the right penalty called at the right time.

All those penalties slow the game down and honestly make it tough to watch. 

I want to watch back and forth hockey, not special teams hemmed in one zone.

The NHL needs to fix it.

And to make sure coaches don't go crazy challenging every penalty. Make the Rule that you can only challenge a penalty that results in a goal, and if you're incorrect on the challenge, for example, hypothetically,  let's say the Hughes high stick was actually a Puck or a inadvertent high stick by a teammate, then you give the 4 minute penalty to the Canucks and take away a timeout.

This keeps refs and coaches and players honest and maintains the flow of the game.

In a situation where a player ends up down and out like Hughes; yes. Honestly, every goal should be reviewed in that fashion period. If it were against the canucks, I would understand; a player on the pk was no longer able to defend for 5-10 sec because of a missed call. At a minimum, call it dead when you see blood!

1 minute ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

I'm glad they are being patient and they want to see how things go.

Making knee jerk moves is Benning esque

It’s not jerk move it’s what great teams do they make trades from strength postion to improve borderline awful part of team 

I recall 3 great chances to put the game away by Horvat, Miller, Hoglander... no pressure whatsoever... and they couldn't even bury ONE!!! We can argue all day long about how the ref's missed the call on Hughes being highsticked but there is just no excuse for letting the 3-goal lead evaporate like that... 

and... why are teams not allowed to challenge for a missed penalty call?? Ohhhhh... 'cause that's kinda subjective and we can't let the refs lose their authority???

I got annoyed at Drance a couple of days ago when he said it would be a good road trip if the Canucks went 2-3.  But the guy is right, this team isn't very good and squeaking out two wins would be something. I'm now thinking they finish the trip 1-4, if they can somehow manage to win in Philly. This is not a playoff team.

Trade Horvat and Boeser, start fresh, get some quality D ffs, before Demko gets pi**ed off and wants out. 

Miller put in one Heck of a Jeckyl and Hyde performance. Other than the goal I thought he was flat early and not well engaged and then there was the sequence with OEL on the PP.  Was really unimpressed with his passive defensive effort and wild passes. 
Hogz, man you need to finish some of those. I think he is looking like will be spending time in AHL this year. 
My bold prediction is Kuzmenko necessitates the move of Brock before seasons end. He looked engaged and dangerous all game.  Garland was another big driver of play all game. 
Team D still awful.  Still look too small and passive, special teams need work but probably have necessary personnel. 

For all intents and purposes, this was a one goal game. The ref’s missed call was the difference. Still annoyed by that. We should make a tracker of how many games the refs just screwed us enough that it impacted our points.

Edited by Slegr
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Slegr said:

For all intents and purposes, this was a one goal game. The ref’s missed call was the difference. Still annoyed by that. We should make a tracker of how many games the refs just screwed us enough that it impacted our points.

again, good teams don't let missed/bad calls affect the outcome of the games.  The history of bad calls is as long as the history of the league, it's not an excuse.

Just now, Slegr said:

For all intents and purposes, this was a one goal game. The ref’s missed call was the difference. Still annoyed by that. We should make a tracker of how many games the refs just screwed is enough that it impacted our points.

The Canucks had a 3 goal lead, and collapsed like a house of cards. Blaming the refs? They had 7 PPs. There's no excuse, just real bad D and some key forwards that were no-shows.  It's a problem when your captain is one of the no-shows, and the tough guy they brought in got put on his butt by their goalie. 

Not enough killer instinct with this team. I've been a fan of Bo since he got here, but I'm done. Trade him.    

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

I think this is the laziest game from Horvat in a Canucks uni.

that giveaway on tbe pp by him and he literally gave up a breakaway. 

.......But I thought we wanted to pay him what ever he wants for the next 7-8 years though. :lol:

I mean , we have become used to performances like last night for decades now , you think we would be used to it by now.

10 hours ago, drdeath said:

It’s happened to this team for years. Bad call or bad bounce and they go into a shell. Should have come out after the missed call on Hughes with a McSorely special to Conor McDavid but instead they just accept it and go into a shell. And look what happens. 

I totally agree, mental toughness has been an issue for awhile now.