The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 12, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Outplayed the Oilers 5 on 5 too. Just special teams letting us down yet again.

The D was actually pretty good, Poolman had a surprisingly good game, even guys like Schenn weren't getting walked around by McDavid on rushes. (And he still had 3)

FWDs really let us down, Miller / Horvat with grade A chances, Petey on the PP. They better get things into gear quick.

Edmonton is so lucky to have McDavid & Draisaitl. They really aren't a contender aside from just having those 2. Their Dcore is overrated & they get worked anytime McD isn't on the ice.

Agree with you on your points.  Last night it was mostly the forwards that dropped the ball - their whiffs were magnified by the failures of the special teams.

Poolman and Schenn looked decent.  Burroughs too.   My concern with the D outside of QH and maybe OEL, is what do they provide?  Who is the shutdown guy?  What offence do they provide, what transition game do they provide?  When the forwards are controlling the puck in the O zone do we have any confidence in any of the d men not named hughes to contribute by making a great pass, releasing a bomb from the point, keeping the play alive at the blue line?  I dont see any of those attributes in 4 out of 6 defencemen.  Even Myers only had one goal last year.  Ive been conditioned to think that if they dont get walked in the D zone they are having a good night.  

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I think too many of you make too much of "what they said in the media after the game." Did you guys not see their reactions after the Oilers' empty net goal? That looked like a pretty pissed off bunch.  

maybe next time in that scenario they can be a pissed off bunch after the opposition scores the 3rd goal to tie it

8 minutes ago, Darius said:

Agree with you on your points.  Last night it was mostly the forwards that dropped the ball - their whiffs were magnified by the failures of the special teams.

Poolman and Schenn looked decent.  Burroughs too.   My concern with the D outside of QH and maybe OEL, is what do they provide?  Who is the shutdown guy?  What offence do they provide, what transition game do they provide?  When the forwards are controlling the puck in the O zone do we have any confidence in any of the d men not named hughes to contribute by making a great pass, releasing a bomb from the point, keeping the play alive at the blue line?  I dont see any of those attributes in 4 out of 6 defencemen.  Even Myers only had one goal last year.  Ive been conditioned to think that if they dont get walked in the D zone they are having a good night.  

This is basically what it is. The D is carried by two players, the rest are just trying to keep their head above water & not cost us games.

Guys like Schenn/Stillman/Burroughs provide some grit, but that's about it.

Rathbone could be an X factor, but as of now the D just being solid & not costing us is what your hoping for frankly.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Darius said:

They got worked by (arguably) the two  of the best players in the world who took advantage of our PK which has been bad for a while now.  Opening night for them in their own barn, it was hard to believe they would not put on a show given their track record of basically dominating the league (stat wise) for the past years.

Our star players had multiple power plays to put the game away and couldnt do it.  The shorty was a dagger...the result of nonchalant plays and decision making.

I think they can make the playoffs if they fix the PK .  The 5 v 5 offence should be able to bail them out most nights ...even with the underwhelming D core.

That said can we get away from playing Alberta teams on opening night .  I think the last time that happened was 2013.  

Just to piggy back on this. Nucks also had 3 clear cut breakaways by halfway through the game and didn't score on any of them. Those are better scoring chance situations than a PP.

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

It was rightfully pointed out that the Oiler PP finished Van off. That said the overall tenor of the game was positive for the Canucks. Fans should think about the start last year a tad. This roster has a lot of upside. 

@-DLC-

I agree with your & Deb's points completely, but man that was an epic collapse. When your up 3-0 good teams find a way, they wilted mentally, you could feel it, & worst of all it was special teams that sunk them again.

Hopefully it's just a one off, there were some positives & I believe this team is better, but now gotta see it materialize in the standings.

Need 3 of 4 o  the rest of the road trip imo. Or at the very least 2-1-1 with the special teams turning a corner.

• Cheers 2

Miller is high risk high reward and even I winced as he blindly threw the  puck a few times and it nearly cost us. But he had a beautiful assist and a goal so I'm not worried...if he wasn't engaged I would be. He looks hungry out there and I look forward to seeing him steal the puck and breakaway again this year. I expect more highlight reel stuff from him.

I'm really stoked to see Petey this year...he's in beast mode. Serious and stoic, look out.

Podz, Kuzmenko and Hog all make the game more exciting...I'm looking at the half full cup. 

Huggy's awesome...he didn't cry and whine like an Oiler....quietly goes about his business. We sure are better with him in the line up...his silky smooth exits and moves to get the puck out of our end are a treat to watch.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Yes

I am hoping Ilya will make the pk better. 

I don't know what to say about the PK tonight. I didn't feel that they were bad. They hustled and pressured the puck but the Oilers are elite on the PP. 

I would like to see what the PK looks like vs a normal team. 

We totally dominated 5 on 5.

Between the multiple breakaways, Miller missing the gaping net onetimer from Kuz, Hogz missing the one timer from Petey, I felt like we had better chances than the Oils. This could have been a rout for the Canucks on another day. It just sucks that it ended the way it did. I like that they came out firing and looking inspired. 

Maybe being up 3-0 was detrimental as they started trading chances with the Oilers at that point. 

Anyway, we have an exciting team this year folks. I think we'll surprise a lot of teams. 

I did feel like the Edmonton fans and the oilers influenced the game a bit. 

I don't know why they complained everytime they got a penalty. It was a clear penalty. They were also chasing the play 5 on 5 which was the driver for them taking penalties. 

If refs called that high stick, play is dead and then there would be a 1 min 4 v 4 and then we'd be on the PP for the remaining 3 minutes. Could have been a completely different game at that point. 

When the oilers were down 3, they became more desperate and began clawing at us and kept taking infractions where the refs only called the super blatant ones. That's a page out of the bruins strategy. 

Anyway I like a lot of the elements of the game tonight.  Special teams is what killed us. 

The PK has ALOT to do with two guys having out of the world skill. They see the game at a different pace than everyone else. There is no stopping that unless you were a stacked avs team. Idk I saw alot more plays that are near impossible for anyone to defend let alone our suspect at best pk. I'll give them a pass here

Edited by Mustard Tiger

34 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

This is exactly how I feel about things.

Some people ONLY see a blown 3-0 lead but Hughes injury was definitely the game changer and turning point. Things would've been different had that been called.

It still baffles me that an offside challenge which proves a player was 4" ahead of the play can call back a goal.... Yet a major infraction resulting in an injured player must be ignored. 

Also, if a referee can review a major penalty that THEY called, and overturn their own call if they got it wrong... How come they can't review a call they missed? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, Mustard Tiger said:

The PK has ALOT to two with two guys having out of the world skill. They see the same at a different pace than everyone else. There is no stopping that unless you were a stacked avs team. Idk I saw alot more plays that are near impossible for anyone to defend let alone our suspect at best pk. I'll give them a pass here

Honestly having seen that powerplay run so much, the best way to defend it is to lay down on the ice and cover as much ice as possible ala Chris Tanev. You have to eliminate seams and when you're down a man you have to force them through you.

Nobody on our pk sprawls out and they use that down low play so much. They throw it low, quick bump to middle and bump out to McDavid so much. 

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

It still baffles me that an offside challenge which proves a player was 4" ahead of the play can call back a goal.... Yet a major infraction resulting in an injured player must be ignored. 

Also, if a referee can review a major penalty that THEY called, and overturn their own call if they got it wrong... How come they can't review a call they missed? 

Because that opens a major can of worms.........the game is already too long and has too many pauses that disrupt the flow of the game 

Referees make bad calls and good teams don't let it affect their outcome.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Right??!

They just move on like nothing happened. Meanwhile, we're down our most valuable d man and he's getting stitched up as Edmonton keeps calm and carries on.

It isn't right. You make excellent points....they'll look at an offside from 27 different angles but this gets ignored.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I thought the Canucks carried the majority of the play. Moved out of their d-zone well. Lots of scoring ops. Couple of nice hits. The missed call on Hughes cost them the game as it was a 5 minute major. 4 - 0 likely wins the game. Philly should be a recovery game for hurt fans. :) 

Impossible. It's an afternoon game. Impossible for the Canucks to win those. :)

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Because that opens a major can of worms.........the game is already too long and has too many pauses that disrupt the flow of the game 

Referees make bad calls and good teams don't let it affect their outcome.

Hogwash.

If the game is too long maybe the offsides that they look at for 7 minutes should be shortened so they get major infractions right. A guy is bleeding on his hands and knees....but sure, ok. 

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Chronic.Canuck said:

Well I missed the game cause my band was playing a show but good to see CDC is in midseason despair about.... 60 minutes into the season

The despair actually started during the first intermission, when Van was still up 3-1. So it only took 20 min of hockey and 5 minutes of listening to that Edm loving Reaves guy.

3 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Honestly having seen that powerplay run so much, the best way to defend it is to lay down on the ice and cover as much ice as possible ala Chris Tanev. You have to eliminate seams and when you're down a man you have to force them through you.

Nobody on our pk sprawls out and they use that down low play so much. They throw it low, quick bump to middle and bump out to McDavid so much. 

It's just insane the vision they have with eachother. They share some super brain or something. The thing that annoys me is when we just start chasing them. Or allowing mcdavid time and space to pick up speed in the NZ. Just hiiiiiitttt himmmmmmmmmm lol

• Vintage 1