The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | Oct. 15, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Hopefully it's gone,  but it's still going to take some time to build them back.  Last year we kept seeing the lasting damage that those two idiots caused.  They not only didn't understand the game, they poisoned the locker room with their lack of professionalism.  I'll give the guys 20 games or so; we haven't had a camp run by an actual NHL coach since Torts and it's going to be an adjustment.

100%.

Cant expect overnight changes. They won a bunch of games in the second half on excitement alone, but it'll take time to teach new systems to guys who grew up in the tire fire systems of Green/Baumer. 

Probably rocky first 10-20 games, but team should settle in soon after.

Adding 2 new top-6 forwards means time needs to be given to create chemistry too, especially on powerplay.

Despite both losses, still happy with a lot of what we saw. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, gurn said:

in one game yes, in the other no.

Philly was massively outshooting them in the first period.

In both games they could not hold a lead.

Ya but at no point in that period did I feel that Philly was outplaying them massively.  They were in both games till late in the third period.  1 goal was created by the best player in the league, the other was gifted by a misplay by Miller.  I'm not concerned quite yet.  Ask me after the road trip if we should start panicking lol.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Only valid to you, because you're already in the mindset that the sky is falling.  It's ONLY 2 games.  If there is so much parody among the league then why doesn't it matter to Carolina that they didn't come "prepared" into the season by not playing their stars in the last preseason game.  Your excuse is now going to be, well they don't have to worry cause they're a contender, therefore now you're moving goalposts once again.  

The team is not going to be prepared for EVERY game.  It's too long of a season for it to happen.  Sometimes they'll just go through the emotions.  Right now, the team is in a little funk.  But at least they've been in the games.  In fact they've come out pretty strong.  It's the 3rd periods that have cost them both games.  Lack of execution right now.  I think JT is going to be fine.  He's just not in sync right now.  As for Bo, maybe the contract situation is becoming a big distraction for him.  Boeser, I give a pass right now, since these are like his first 2 "preseason" games to try to get into game speed.

“ your excuse is now going to be “. Just a little presumptuous huh ?  “Well they don’t have to worry “CAUSE” they’re a contender now “ Therefor now your moving goalposts again.?????   There you go go presuming again. Just exactly when did I mention the hurricanes ? It seems to me your the one that made the ridiculous comparison. I’m here to talk about the canucks. I certainly didn’t say what I said to look for an argument,  as to Carolina being 2 and 0 they’re probably a little better “ prepared “ than the canucks. Which does lend a little credence to my point the canucks arent quite ready yet and I think that has everything to do which some unfamiliarity's that could have been minimized had they played the bulk of the  regulars earlier. BTW your use of the word “cause” citing that I might say that tells me I’m arguing with someone 40 ish years younger than myself  I’m out. 

Edited by chon derry

36 minutes ago, gurn said:

in one game yes, in the other no.

Philly was massively outshooting them in the first period.

In both games they could not hold a lead.

Well Philly also had like 6 minutes of consecutive power play time and escaped a 4 min penalty that ended up sending Hoglander to the box. Like how the fvck they miss the butt end to the face that sent Hoglander flailing and clutching his face and dropping his glove but catch the highstick that came off of that exact play is beyond me. The reff was watching that entire play

edit: pretty easy to get some momentum going and run up the shot clock when you have 6 mins of pp time all in pretty much consecutive penalties. 

Van was being heavily out shot, but clawed their way back into the shot category

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, chon derry said:

“ your excuse is now going to be “. Just a little presumptuous huh ?  “Well they don’t have to worry “CAUSE” they’re a contender now “ Therefor now your moving goalposts again.?????   There you go go presuming again. Just exactly when did mention the hurricanes ? It seems to me your the the one that made the ridiculous comparison. I’m here to talk about the canucks. I certainly didn’t say what I said to look for an argument as to Carolina being 2 and 0 they’re probably a little better “ prepared “ than the canucks. Which does lend a little credence to my point the canucks arent quite ready yet and I think that has everything to do which some unfamiliarity's that could have been minimized had they played the bulk of the  regulars earlier. BTW your use of the word “cause” citing that I might say that tells me I’m arguing with someone 40 ish years younger than myself  I’m out. 

Because you were talking about preparedness in the preseason and I gave you an example of Carolina who did exactly what you said would cause "unpreparedness".  They rested all their "star" players on their last game of preseason which was actually on a Wednesday which would actually cause more "unpreparedness" since they wouldn't play another game for over a week.  Last season under Green who did things even worse than Boudreau this year, the Canucks were 3-2-1 after their 6 game starting road trip.  Seems like your "preparedness" comments are a little out of whack don't you think?

Edited by Viper007

3 hours ago, Odd. said:

2 short handed goals, 1 empty netter. Of the rest, 1 were directly the fault of the dman (Hughes).

People keep trying to say our defence is fine as long as no one is making mistakes we can hopefully get by if everyone just plays average. Thing is this is the NHL. You need your defence to contribute something to the game. Right now we have an offensive dman and 4 to 5 passengers. Our team defence is careless and mistake ridden. You need to be able to control the game and dictate play in order to win consistently in the NHL. We don't have that in 75% of our defenceman before we drop the puck. It's tough to expect results.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

People keep trying to say our defence is fine as long as no one is making mistakes we can hopefully get by if everyone just plays average. Thing is this is the NHL. You need your defence to contribute something to the game. Right now we have an offensive dman and 4 to 5 passengers. Our team defence is careless and mistake ridden. You need to be able to control the game and dictate play in order to win consistently in the NHL. We don't have that in 75% of our defenceman before we drop the puck. It's tough to expect results.

It isn't the defense that has been the problem so far though.  It has been special teams.  This year is starting off almost exactly like last year with the special teams play, other than they didn't give up 2 SHGs in 2 games to start last year.

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

It isn't the defense that has been the problem so far though.  It has been special teams.  This year is starting off almost exactly like last year with the special teams play, other than they didn't give up 2 SHGs in 2 games to start last year.

Yup.  Special teams are best on best.  And our best have been second to the other teams’ best two in a row.  We are going to need Double Bubble Demko to win any games. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Yup.  Special teams are best on best.  And our best have been second to the other teams’ best two in a row.  We are going to need Double Bubble Demko to win any games. 

I'm hoping that with Mikheyev coming back soon, it'll help with the PK.  As for the PP, they've just been a little too careless with their passes.  Just like last season to start.  They need to stop with the dangerous cross ice passes on the blueline.

4 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Because you were talking about preparedness in the preseason and I gave you an example of Carolina who did exactly what you said would cause "unpreparedness".  They rested all their "star" players on their last game of preseason which was actually on a Wednesday which would actually cause more "unpreparedness" since they wouldn't play another game for over a week.  Last season under Green who did things even worse than Boudreau this year, the Canucks were 3-2-1 after their 6 game starting road trip.  Seems like your "preparedness" comments are a little out of whack don't you think?

You seem to want to give good  examples of Carolina but the best you can come up with for the Canuck is…..   they’ll go through the emotions :wacko: and the team is in a little funk. Ok gotcha. 

Imo, defense is an issue, but it is not just an issue for those called defensemen.

Team defense, making the smart play, being on the right side of the puck- not making lazy, stupid passes at the opponents blue line.; putting your own D men in a horrible spot.

Whether these mistakes happen when on the power play, at even strength or when shorthanded it is still a team defense problem.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Podz should be on the pp

personally, I don't care who is on the 1st or 2nd power play

you get 1 minute to score, then change it up.

this is still basically the same group that was playing 2 minutes, 2 seasons ago.

4/5 are the same

give up a shorty, you are 2nd unit for the rest of the game

stop rewarding failure

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

51 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

We’ve drafted 2 in the last 3 drafts. 

We didn't draft one this year, but we did draft one at in the 5th round and one in the 7th round the draft before. 

Yes, technically we've been drafting RD but we're drafting them low. Better low than not at all, sure, but you're not likely to get a top 4 guy in the bottom rounds let alone an NHL'er. 

I've been beating the drum that we need to be drafting D to fix our D, and our drafting them is a positive, but I'd argue we need to be using 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks on RD more going forward. We drafted Hughes high, we need to be willing to draft D high period. Sure, it's not cut and dry and it depends on who's available at x draft slot but we've got to find a way to do it. 

I get the BPA argument, and I agree that talent wins out, but unless there's a player who's clearly better than other options at x draft spot I'm not opposed to the organization eying positional needs. Quality D will always be a need, you don't lose by drafting them. And if you're one of those rare teams with a surplus, well, you've got a great trade chip. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

You seem to want to give good  examples of Carolina but the best you can come up with for the Canuck is…..   they’ll go through the emotions :wacko: and the team is in a little funk. Ok gotcha. 

I gave you an example of the Canucks.  Last year they were 3-2-1 when Green was tinkering with players who were not going to be in the lineup playing on the last preseason game.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Imo, defense is an issue, but it is not just an issue for those called defensemen.

Team defense, making the smart play, being on the right side of the puck- not making lazy, stupid passes at the opponents blue line.; putting your own D men in a horrible spot.

Whether these mistakes happen when on the power play, at even strength or when shorthanded it is still a team defense problem.

Is it really team defense if it's 1 player on each play that is making a bad decision with the puck that leads to the team not being in a good position?

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

We didn't draft on this year, last year we drafted one at in the 5th round and one in the 7th round the draft before. 

Yes, technically we've been drafting RD but we're drafting them low. Better low than not at all, sure, but you're not likely to get a top 4 guy in the bottom rounds let alone an NHL'er. 

I've been beating the drum that we need to be drafting D to fix our D, and our drafting them is a positive, but I'd argue we need to be using 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks on RD more going forward. We drafted Hughes high, we need to be willing to draft D high period. Sure, it's not cut and dry and it depends on who's available at x draft slot but we've got to find a way to do it. 

I get the BPA argument, and I agree that talent wins out, but unless there's a player who's clearly better than other options at x draft spot I'm not opposed to the organization eying positional needs. Quality D will always be a need, you don't lose by drafting them. And if you're one of those rare teams with a surplus, well, you've got a great trade chip. 

Regardless to we’ve not drafted them at all is patently false. And while I agree if one is available and close to bpa go for it, I also don’t agree with drafting a rhd for the sake of drafting a rhd either. 

4 minutes ago, lmm said:

personally, I don't care who is on the 1st or 2nd power play

you get 1 minute to score, then change it up.

this is still basically the same group that was playing 2 minutes, 2 seasons ago.

4/5 are the same

give up a shorty, you are 2nd unit for the rest of the game

stop rewarding failure

Personally, I will give the PP group more leeway.  They've been a Top 10 PP during these seasons.

2 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Is it really team defense if it's 1 player on each play that is making a bad decision with the puck that leads to the team not being in a good position?

Is it only the same one player? If so, maybe it is the players fault, and not a team problem; but it is not just one player messing up. JT sticks out, but he is not the only offender.

Just now, gurn said:

Is it only the same one player? If so, maybe it is the players fault, and not a team problem; but it is not just one player messing up. JT sticks out, but he is not the only offender.

Ya, it's been Pettersson too.  But it's that one bad decision that's leading to it.  I can't call it bad team defense so far this season.  Just bad decision making by 2 of the top players on the team.