The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks hold players only meeting

Rate this topic

grandmaster

3 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Had more so to do with the 3 other players not named Motte on the PK. 

Actually it had more to do with our best PKer not being our best PKer. Demko/Halak. We went through 3 PK coaches last season. I went to a Canucks practice last year and this was towards the tail end of the season, we got to ask a coach (Shaw) and a player (Schenn) questions. I asked Brad Shaw what the difference was between now and the beginning of the season where special teams were losing us games to where they are winning us games.

From the horses mouth

“well ultimately our best PKer was not our best PKer. Our goalies had a hard time on the kill. I’m also the 3rd PK coach this season, something I’ve never seen or experienced in my entire career to see that many changes in one season”

- Brad Shaw

• Cheers 1

New management has dropped the ball so far. Needed to upgrade our top 4 D, instead spent that cap on a forward who can PK. Then used a 2nd rounder to move a forward that can PK. Defense still among worse in league, defense pipeline still bare, and still have no cap space. Should have traded Miller for D help and signed Horvat long term.   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, BureBurrito said:

If there's a locker room rift/issue as been reported for years now...and this meeting failed to produce a win the VERY next night....

Isn't time to shake it up?

On paper we have a very good team. I don’t know. Back and forth on your suggestion. It is possible they get their shit together and become the dominant team that some of us thought they would be. 

This is a mental thing. They have skill but weak psyche. BB and others got to focus on that.

Perhaps BB needs to repeat this message:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cj5aY0krhy_/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Edited by grandmaster

40 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Actually it had more to do with our best PKer not being our best PKer. Demko/Halak. We went through 3 PK coaches last season. I went to a Canucks practice last year and this was towards the tail end of the season, we got to ask a coach (Shaw) and a player (Schenn) questions. I asked Brad Shaw what the difference was between now and the beginning of the season where special teams were losing us games to where they are winning us games.

From the horses mouth

“well ultimately our best PKer was not our best PKer. Our goalies had a hard time on the kill. I’m also the 3rd PK coach this season, something I’ve never seen or experienced in my entire career to see that many changes in one season”

- Brad Shaw

It's a fair point. Definitely a sore spot but I'm more pro-active than reactive when it comes to things like this. Demko struggled heavily on the pk, but I also think he wasn't letting in a plethora of weak goals either. Wasn't making enough big saves, for sure though. 

3 hours ago, BureBurrito said:

If there's a locker room rift/issue as been reported for years now...and this meeting failed to produce a win the VERY next night....

Beyond produce a win, produce a full 60 minute effort. They couldn't even lock down YET ANOTHER 2 goal lead.

A time for a shake up was this summer, it's overdue now.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BureBurrito said:

Absolutely! Let's shake things up JR.   Yee-Haw.....Absolut Elyx Vodka GIF - Absolut Elyx Vodka Elyx GIFsShake It GIF - Shake It Off GIFsTaylor Swift Shake It Off GIF - Taylor Swift Shake It Off Dancing GIFsEarthquake Meme Girl Earthquake Meme GIF - Earthquake Meme Girl Earthquake Meme Ali J GIFsSeiya Shakes GIF - Seiya Shakes Earthquake GIFsWaking Up GIF - Waking Up Funny GIFsbaby-cute.gifJiggle Dance GIF - Jiggle Dance Wiggle GIFsJello Jiggle GIF - Jello Jiggle Dessert GIFsMega Trash GIF - Mega Trash GIFs

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, BureBurrito said:

wait so a players meeting = produce a win the very next night? i guess teams should have a players meeting after every game and each time they don't win the very next night they trade a player away right?

18 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

New management has dropped the ball so far. Needed to upgrade our top 4 D, instead spent that cap on a forward who can PK. Then used a 2nd rounder to move a forward that can PK. Defense still among worse in league, defense pipeline still bare, and still have no cap space. Should have traded Miller for D help and signed Horvat long term.   

Yes. I've been on this train and unfortunately, people were ripping me that Miller wasn't the problem, or that it was me hating the team. :rolleyes:

• Cheers 1

On 10/18/2022 at 9:57 AM, AnthonyG said:

Im glad to see they aren’t wasting any time having a players only meeting. 3 games in they are having the conversation amongst themselves, not 15-25 games in. This team wants to get it sorted out ASAP. Lets hope the boys come out full of piss and vinegar and get an early lead and dont stop adding to it

I am glad to see they're having (have had) a players only meeting.

When I first read the title (old eyes; old brain), I thought it said:

Canucks hold Prayer Meeting!

Yikes!

And then thought, that's what's wrong: they're Churchers! 

Like your "God" has time to help rich pro athletes but not to feed the malnutritioned and sick children all over the world.

Hand back the Rez School Records Mr. Pope; the jig is up.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I am glad to see they're having (have had) a players only meeting.

When I first read the title (old eyes; old brain), I thought it said:

Canucks hold Prayer Meeting!

Yikes!

And then thought, that's what's wrong: they're Churchers! 

Like your "God" has time to help rich pro athletes but not to feed the malnutritioned and sick children all over the world.

Hand back the Rez School Records Mr. Pope; the jig is up.

They could use some prayers too..

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Yes. I've been on this train and unfortunately, people were ripping me that Miller wasn't the problem, or that it was me hating the team. :rolleyes:

I dont really think Miller is the problem, as he was the best Canuck last year. I think he was the solution to the problem though (Defense and Cap). He just doesn't line up with the window to compete unless the Canucks can overhaul their D corp in a very short time. There technically is still time to trade Miller as well.  

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I dont really think Miller is the problem, as he was the best Canuck last year. I think he was the solution to the problem though (Defense and Cap). He just doesn't line up with the window to compete unless the Canucks can overhaul their D corp in a very short time. There technically is still time to trade Miller as well.  

Yes, I don't think he is the problem either. The problem was that this cap could have been used to re-sign Horvat, as you said, as well as to bolster the defense. Sure, our offense will suffer a bit without Miller, but at least we can improve defensively. Right now, regardless if we are scoring or not, we are leaking goals against.

• Cheers 1