The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Buffalo Sabres at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 22, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I'm not as down on them as that.  I think it's amtter of a couple of smart, but difficult moves that will likely set the team back for this season, but improve them in the bigger picture.

Fair enough. I'm watching every single game and talking about the team for large parts of the day regardless. Would just be nice to have a fresh start while we actually have tradable value to do a quicker rebuild rangers / Habs style. Both still had alot of money and decent players on the books while tanking + got tons of picks. Many of us are just curious what building for the future actually feels like. Never seen it in my lifetime I've been a big fan for 20+ years haha

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

39 minutes ago, fecklund said:

The funniest thing in this video is the Zamboni, in constant backup mode beeping the whole time. :lol:

The Wild had just lost 8 of their past 10 games and were clearly out of a playoff spot.  The players interviewed after that incident felt it was well deserved.  That outburst in part helped turn their season around - Fletcher also finally made a move for a goalie.  

They were 21st in points percentage and 11th in the West when that practice took place in early January.  They then had the 3rd best record in the remaining games (ppt percentage).  They finished the season 11th in the league (when they were 21st) and 6th in the West (vs 11th).  

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Buffalo played a really good game. They add a stud man. All their higher picks over the years have matured. Got rid of Eichel.  And a old defunct goalie steps out of the ashes and plays well. They are finally turning that corner out of mediocrity. SabreFan must be happy.

Our 4th does well because they're playing physical. Our top forward are mostly peripheral.  The PP we need a net front presence.  Podz?

Anderson has always been a good goalie... other then that i agree. 

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Almost like drafting is important or something. Who knew?

Right?

I turned my front deck into a bird paradise, hoping a bird lands on my hand to thank me, but I'm sitting inside watching from my desk.. so all they do is poop and fly away. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, fecklund said:

Bruce! there it is! 

I listen to Don's podcasts. He still has it IMHO. They were going thru the teams and he said Canucks wouldn't make playoffs. Also said Mathews wouldn't score 60 when all of Lafferland says he will. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, mll said:

The Wild had just lost 8 of their past 10 games and were clearly out of a playoff spot.  The players interviewed after that incident felt it was well deserved.  That outburst in part helped turn their season around - Fletcher also finally made a move for a goalie.  

They were 21st in points percentage and 11th in the West when that practice took place in early January.  They then had the 3rd best record in the remaining games (ppt percentage).  They finished the season 11th in the league (when they were 21st) and 6th in the West (vs 11th).  

If he tries that approach with this team right now, the team will crumple like a paper bag.
Except for Miller... Jimothy might punch him in the face and skate off unloading Fsplectives.... 

13 minutes ago, mll said:

Copied from a Minnesota news paper interestingly immediately after Yeo’s  firing the team turned things around.                   “When the coach is an idiot, the team will fail.”

“Mike Yeo didn’t succeed at Minnesota, he only lost time there. A similar situation is happening now. The team will not fight for such a coach. I saw them play, familiar with their system. This club should fight for the Stanley Cup, but, again, if the coach is an idiot, then you can forget about it. It seems to me that Yeo doesn’t understand anything at all in hockey. Unrestrained, unrestrained. I wouldn’t even trust the children’s team to him.”

Huh.  It's almost as if the team should have rebuilt when Gillis got fired and there were a ton of assets to trade for draft picks. 

Now we've wasted years.  Done nothing but lose.  Got into cap hell.  Tied up old players to long trash contracts and have absolutely nobody in the prospect pool. 

That retool on the fly was a great idea there Aquaman & Benning.  Idiots.

Burn it all down.  Start from scratch.  Until this team loads up on draft picks and actually rebuilds properly I'm not spending another dime on a ticket or merchandise.

• Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It certainly couldn’t have helped.

Either way we’re relying on a 23 year old to be everything for us on D. That’s not his game.

And somehow it’s been 3 years and we still haven’t found a partner other than Schenn for him? It’s pathetic.

To be fair, to be fair, 2 and half of those years are on Benning; but still...

(To be fair, and have long legs...):

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure. Point being, skating around being "disruptive" is great, but it's not enough to  keep you in an NHL lineup full time. You simply have to do more than that. You need to score/get assists and prevent them. He's not so good (yet) as to not be scratched (not that many are playing much better on this team currently :lol:). 

And again, the main reason he was scratched was he's like the only guy (bonuses) we could paper, to add a required D yesterday.

Yeah I agree. Just because you try hard its not enough. Some people get too attached to these guys. I really like him, great kid, great attitude, he plays hard, but currently he's not adding anything crucial to success besides effort. For him to be successful he's got to find a way to bury some of those great opportunities he gets. Otherwise, he's a smaller player who doesn't play good x's and o's defence, and doesn't score, or provide a physical presence. I have pretty high hopes still but he's young and will get better. It's not like he's under-exceeding or anything. This is normal progress.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Bruce Boudreau struggling for the right words in that interview. Probably difficult when you want to let it rip and say more but you can't. He's undeniably in the hot seat now.

That's the thing.
Not only can he - he should. 
There's nothing wrong with being more colourful with your language to try and get out what you need to. Good, or bad. 
We all need to speak our minds. If people get offended or whatever so what? 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Huh.  It's almost as if the team should have rebuilt when Gillis got fired and there were a ton of assets to trade for draft picks. 

Now we've wasted years.  Done nothing but lose.  Got into cap hell.  Tied up old players to long trash contracts and have absolutely nobody in the prospect pool. 

That retool on the fly was a great idea there Aquaman & Benning.  Idiots.

Burn it all down.  Start from scratch.  Until this team loads up on draft picks and actually rebuilds properly I'm not spending another dime on a ticket or merchandise.

Actually the retool on the fly could have been accomplished successfully. They just failed to address need at the required times. We are struggling because those exact needs have not been addressed in 3 seasons. Go figure.

Recipe for complacency and failure  when you patch around the wound but not the actual wounds themselves.

Sh!tty thing for us fans and everyone or anyone involved in this club is that we have to go through this right now. It’s the culmination of some poor patchwork decisions, timing of contracts, and a failure to forecast or take advantage of the marketplace (and the draft) a bit and instead rest on hopeful laurels and then judge or react from there. I understand it. If the Bruce bump was less impactful I think we’d see a different roster this season. Had to at least give it one last shot before JR reverts back to what he said initially when he came in. He expected there to be some change. 
He has been patient with it. I’m excited for when he and PA action their plan.

Edited by RWJC

1 minute ago, Goal:thecup said:

To be fair, to be fair, 2 and half of those years are on Benning; but still...

(To be fair, and have long legs...):

It’s starts with ownerships mandate of being a cap team every year though. When you’re simply thinking year to year and don’t have a long term blue print this is the result.

Last year would have been the perfect year for a down year. If they just held on to Eriksson, Roussel, and Beagle and just rode it out with Green, they would have had a top 5 pick, a top 10 prospect and a ton of cap space. They would have been sitting so pretty right now.

But when GMs are treated like politicians with short term mandates theres never going to be a long term vision. It’s why a team like Nashville has had so much more success than us over the years. They gave Poile a long runway and let him build a team from the D out the right way always with an eye on the long term. 

We’re never going to see sustained success the way they keep doing things.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 2