Canucks Community

[PGT] Anaheim Ducks at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 03, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Of 20 hits:

9 were from Schenn and Josh

Of 13 blocks:

5 were from Bear

On our bottom 6 and our bottom D, we have a lot of players that aren't getting involved physically. 

In our two wins with Burrz

vs Sea and Pitts

Burrz had 

4 hits and 4 blocked shots

Play more Burrz

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Agree with this 100%.

I can imagine Canucks management making a shortlist of prioritized players. A power ranking of sorts. I agree with the sentiment of 3 players being off the table and the rest are available (Demko, Quinn, Petey). Kuz though, making me think that number should be 4 and that his extension should be prioritized. Think the Canucks have a decent chance here to get a bridge deal and wait out an expiring Tyler Myers contract for example. I don't even mind them selling low on Boeser at this point, just to make sure there is enough wiggle room to keep Kuz and Horvat around and look to improve the defense. 

I posted in the off-season that the Canucks set themselves up for some auditions this year. Kuz has come in and showed that he can replace a top 6 forward plus we have Hoglander and Podkolzin on the roster. The musical chairs game is on, it really is. We need to move forwards out and so far into this audition period here, I don't think we would downgrade too much with the depth we have, guys are proving they are ready to step in and replace others. 

Agreed, play/keep the 25 or younger players and Kuz/Mikheyev and restock with the others. If handled correctly, mgmt could successfully remake this team at the TDL...let hope the team doesn't wiff like last year.

6 hours ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Ya Horvat has been on some kind of run the 25ish games. Our wonderful management have now created  a worst case scenario, trade him for a poor return, or pay him way more now with his start and the fact it's looking like the cap is going up 4.2 million next season.

Them offering 5.5 was an insult, 6.8-7 was always going to be what a team friendly 8 year deal would probably look like imo. Gotta figure that's about a million off. Teams going to have cap flexibility but with Kuzmenko looking like a star and the glaring need for a RHD, every dollar counts.

Thought overall our D played well,  we moved the puck better and the forwards did a much better job coming back.. 3rd had a few brain cramps but again goaltending and pK needs to get sorted out. 

It's actually ideal if we intend to trade Horvat.   His stock keeps going up.    I'm always wary of guys having career years just before their next deal is up.   Wonder why the same effort/production  wasn't there before...

Edited by IBatch

33 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

nothing to do with effort, more to do with the opportunity.. Horvat was never afforded the offensive opportunity the other guys had in their career.. and now that he's put in more offensive situation? oh look he's starting to get result.. kinda like when Miller was first traded to the canucks.. he was given the opportunity.. 

Horvat has been a fixture on our PP for most of his career now.   Last year he was given better wingers to work with, actually played with everyone but Miller. So wouldn't go that far.   And most of his goals have been on the PP ... I'm not going to get too carried away (yet),  maybe the team backed the wrong horse for sure,  all i can say is at least he's showing he might earn his raise.   Last year 6.5 was where the math wizards say he was at overall with his cap hit.  If a team wants to offer him 8-9 then I would rather take the picks/prospects  then do that  wouldn't you?   We just got through an era of that (waiting for UFAs to retire or waive) ... and at least they did something.  

Edit:  I do agree he hasn't had a lot to work with up until last year 5 x 5 though, plus Brocks rookie season. 

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

It's actually ideal if we intend to trade Horvat.   His stock keeps going up.    I'm always wary of guys having career years just before their next deal is up.   Wonder why the same effort wasn't there before...

If they trade horvat and keep miller the entire front office should be canned immediately 

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

We now only need to win 6 of the next 9 games to be at .500 at the 20 game mark - which is the unofficial benchmark for those hoping to sliver into the very last bottom wildcard spot.    It will be a miracle on Ice if that happens but time will tell.

We won on Dallas Eakins night. Not exactly a good benchmark 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

If they trade horvat and keep miller the entire front office should be canned immediately 

All i will say is there is a lot of hockey left.   Horvat isn't lighting the lamp 5 x 5.  He's feasting on the PP which was also red hot last year after Bruce arrived.   All Bo is doing, is making a similar deal to Millers look more palatable.   Before we get too inspired, let's see what it looks like in 2023 shall we?   Scott Walker was the player of the week one year too, league wide.    

Edited by IBatch

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Horvat has been a fixture on our PP for most of his career now.   Last year he was given better wingers to work with, actually played with everyone but Miller. So wouldn't go that far.   And most of his goals have been on the PP ... I'm not going to get too carried away (yet),  maybe the team backed the wrong horse for sure,  all i can say is at least he's showing he might earn his raise.   Last year 6.5 was where the math wizards say he was at overall with his cap hit.  If a team wants to offer him 8-9 then I would rather take the picks/prospects  then do that  wouldn't you?   We just got through an era of that (waiting for UFAs to retire or waive) ... and at least they did something.   

So what’s wrong with PP goals? The way you guys talk about it you would think more than half of his goals were on the PP when it’s not true. Look at the shorten 56 game season. Look at all the ppg leader. Majority of them scored more than 50% of their goals on the pp. so do we say well they are lucky they got most of their goals on the PP more than 50%. Stamko Kreider pavelski draistial + many more have almost 50% or more of their goals on the pp. mcdavid have half of his goal this year on the Pp.. 

last year he had better player.. aka he set a career high in goals? So better player better opportunity = more offensive production is that hard to comprehend? 13 of the 31 goals were PP he still scored 18 other goals in other situation? 

again I’m saying Horvat never had the same opportunity as miller. Not even close, but looks like when given the opportunity he can equally be as effective. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Agreed but what do they do though? Trade Miller or ... I don't see how they can afford both.

They can if they manage to pay off the escrow and the cap go up 4mil earlier than anticipated and they dump out some contracts prolly Pearson and possibly find a taker on boeser maybe with 1mil retention. 

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Agreed but what do they do though? Trade Miller or ... I don't see how they can afford both.

Absolutely trade Miller........and Boeser and probably Hughes while they're at it.  Petey is up after next season and he'll be in the 9's.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

So what’s wrong with PP goals? The way you guys talk about it you would think more than half of his goals were on the PP when it’s not true. Look at the shorten 56 game season. Look at all the ppg leader. Majority of them scored more than 50% of their goals on the pp. so do we say well they are lucky they got most of their goals on the PP more than 50%. Stamko Kreider pavelski draistial + many more have almost 50% or more of their goals on the pp. mcdavid have half of his goal this year on the Pp.. 

last year he had better player.. aka he set a career high in goals? So better player better opportunity = more offensive production is that hard to comprehend? 13 of the 31 goals were PP he still scored 18 other goals in other situation? 

again I’m saying Horvat never had the same opportunity as miller. Not even close, but looks like when given the opportunity he can equally be as effective. 

Last year Horvat came alive the last 30 or so games yes.   I don't expect you to read all my posts, but i get awfully worried when a guys contract is up, and then out of nowhere the production spikes. 

Compare Miller as a case study.   Both coaches used him all over the place.  Bruce barely tried the Lotto line,  because that was one and done.   Green kept trying it and it wouldn't work.  Miller was on 3 of the 4 most effective lines last year, and came into the season 40 plus points ahead of second place (EP) in 202 games since he arrived, 217 points.   Horvat scoring on the PP IS great, ive also said that since last season  - it's not EP but Horvat scoring at a 45ish goal pace going into next season... EP and close to 40 though... 

Do i like Miller more then Horvat? Not really - always felt Horvats game would be better suited in the bottom six the latter half of his legacy deal.    That said, i am for sure wary about his sudden scoring touch.   Haven't seen Horvat go end to end and score a goal that i can remember ... Miller did that last year.   Also hate this Miller vs Horvat mumbo jumbo too.   But i do trust the coaches.  They are way smarter then me.  And Horvat did get each guy but Miller last year, both with Green and with Bruce and he didn't do anything remarkable work it.   Miller did though.  Didn't matter whom they put on his line - with the exception of the lotto line, that didn't work.    Two different coaches.  Get they are a couple years apart.  But let's be real, is a 27 vs 29 year old much different?  Not really ... other then the carrot that is.  Horvat is impressing the heck out of me too right now.   He's doing what Miller did last year as in putting the team on his back.   Hope we have room for both and can cut bait on others, and use that cap on the D. 

• Like 1