The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Montreal Canadiens | Nov. 09, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Which guys, we don’t want to keep, can we actually trade for futures?  Which guys are we stuck with unless we take back bad contracts and (or) add sugar?  We are in a very difficult spot to rebuild properly.  So, it’s likely a reset.  For me we keep Petey, Demko, Hughes, all guys on ELC’s and on the farm.  We keep all draft picks and prospects.  We trade any of those not in that grouping for futures.  If we can’t trade a guy, because no one will take his contract, then we suffer with them until they come to their UFA year.  

That's just it... 

You keep the players you mentioned, and we'll likely keep the majority of the team. 
Except for Bo, there is going to be a limited interest in the rest (Miller with his new contract, OEL with his old contract etc) 

Brock is not high on anyones list this year, not even a TDL as he has another 2 years after this one. 

Myers, maybe, if we retain some for the last year of his contract. 

Its a mess.. 

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

12 hours ago, RWJC said:

And what should that tell anyone with half an effing brain…?

it’s not the coaching.

it’s the players.

why the fock we’re still toying with the idea of catering to this collective roster of players is beyond me. 

enough of this shit show.

While I agree, I would love to see a coach actually hold these players responsible for when they play like this then.

Stop. Giving. Ice. Time. To. Players. Who. Don't. Care. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

True, Demko has been terrible.  But JR has said on many occasions our team was relying too much on Demko stealing games. So now (with Demko being poor) we are seeing what JR has said, since he got here, our team truly is.  Maybe he’s right, and we just aren’t very good?  Now will our owner allow JR to do what needs to be done? 

I thought is point was more that we were not playing like a team and lack structure. I think he's fine with the talent per se. 

I'm leaning toward something wrong with Demko between the ears at the moment, they seem to be trying to let him play through it so maybe its not a physical problem. 

But he needs to sit the rest of this road trip. Give him time to calm down and reset. Maybe a lot of practice will be the thing he needs. 

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I can't see Aquaman still meddling after Gilles, Linden Benning etc 

He hired JR so he can be hands off. Also JR wouldn't take this job if he was a puppet of ownership. JR is old. He doesn't need a long career and need to appease ownership to stay in the game. 

Time for JR and Allvin and the entire brain trust assembled by JR to figure it out. 

Our owner isn’t “meddling” in hockey ops. He’s a good owner.  But he sets the direction though, and refuses take a step back.  So, JR/Allvin will make moves to follow that direction.  

• Vintage 1

I've said it dozens of times, last year Demko hid a lot of this teams holes and mistakes. Down the stretch last year, he single handily won us a lot of those games. This is just the by product of not having a goalie carry the team anymore. In fact, it's the opposite the goalie is now hurting the team...to compound it the team is also playing very poorly in front of him and unable to kill penalties. It's a terrible mix that won't win hockey games. 

This is why I was never on the "this team is a playoff team train" because I saw with my own eyes a goalie, night in and night out that made us look better than we were. We need Demko to play great if we have a chance....sure you can say that about alot of teams but many teams are good enough to win with even just decent goaltending......we need great goaltending to compensate for our weaknesses. That right there tells you that this is a wildcard team at best....we are not ready to compete with the best.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Truly unbelievable. After Green was fired, it looked like the most obvious case of an incompetent coach ever. But then an experienced coach comes in and repeats the same thing.

The crazy part is they are playing two entirely different systems too.

With Green the systems looked obvious you'd need luck to win. With Bruce the players looks like absolute morons who can't think out there at the NHL level.

It's baffling. 

Just now, Alflives said:

True, Demko has been terrible.  But JR has said on many occasions our team was relying too much on Demko stealing games. So now (with Demko being poor) we are seeing what JR has said, since he got here, our team truly is.  Maybe he’s right, and we just aren’t very good?  Now will our owner allow JR to do what needs to be done? 

I wonder if JR drank the Kool-Aid like I did. I honestly thought this was a playoff team. Maybe the way we played the second half made him second guess his original opinion of the team which led to the Miller signing. 

Anyway I don't think salaries of Miller Brock Myers OEL really matter. 

If we are rebuilding for picks and prospects couldn't we retain salary to make the players attractive on a trade? I mean we'll be terrible for 3 years so so does it matter that we are spending to the cap with salary retained while the team tanks? Only Aqualini should care but at the end of the day, he created this mess... 

Like OEL at 4.5 mil is a steal

Myers at 4m is a steal

Miller is still a pt / game player and should have value. We retain salary depending on theoffer

Same for Brock, Garland etc. 

I think we trade the guys who have great value and no salary retainment first and then start dismantling the rest of the team and retain salary. 

Load up on picks for 23 and 24...

Wow. That Stillman for a 2nd was ridiculous lol... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I would revisit the goalie strategy.

Play Demko against the Leafs and hope we can outscore them and play Martin in the second game and hope he can bail is out.

use the zamboni driver against the leafs and martin against the bruins....win both 

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I wonder if JR drank the Kool-Aid like I did. I honestly thought this was a playoff team. Maybe the way we played the second half made him second guess his original opinion of the team which led to the Miller signing. 

If we are rebuilding for picks and prospects couldn't we retain salary to make the players attractive on a trade? I mean we'll be terrible for 3 years so so does it matter that we are spending to the cap with salary retained while the team tanks? Only Aqualini should care but at the end of the day, he created this mess... 

Myers at 4m is a steal

Miller is still a pt / game player and should have value. We retain salary depending on theoffer

I think we trade the guys who have great value and no salary retainment first and then start dismantling the rest of the team and retain salary. 

Where are you getting those numbers from, or am I just confused?

9 hours ago, suitup said:

What’s strange is that Miller was such a strong two way player on the Lightning and his first season with us. He even had Selke votes. What in the world happened to him? Became an offensive player and now thinks he’s too good to play defense. 

He’s gotten one 5th place Selke vote by local media.  That’s it. Let’s not pretend he’s been a defensive stalwart 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Myers at 4m is a steal

Frank Seravelly on 650 right now saying JR likely prefers Rick Tochet for his coach, but that our owner doesn’t want to be paying three head coaches.