The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Boston Bruins | Nov. 13, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I guess it depends on what tearing it down means to people.  Saying "nobody is safe" is pretty generic and hollow......very few are ever safe from being traded.  Are they going to sell everyone and bring up the entire Abbotsford team to Van?

If they seriously moved on this we could see

before deadline 2023

Horvat  for 1st and Center prospect

Garland for 1st-2nd and B prospect D or winger

Demko 1st and G prospect

All these players have positive value, either age,  contract or performance wise 

Miller is a tricky one, as he has to be moved now, unless he waives his NMC so they can take more time dealing him. The last place he would want to be is here for a rebuild.

2023-4 season could see Myers / Pearson at deadline so we don't retain a penny of salary

Boeser could wait until 2024 season too depending on his game and he would have only 1.5 years left at deadline

So the only one left would be OEL

He could be moved if we take back a bad contract for a couple years rather then his 4 years remaining

3-5 years for sure in the rebuild would be reasonable.

Shoulda woulda coulda done this when Benning started his tenure, but Aqua didn't want it.

Maybe he's willing now seeing how the last 8 years have gone.

4 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

before deadline 2023

Demko 1st and G prospect

All these players have positive value, either age,  contract or performance wise 

Miller is a tricky one, as he has to be moved now, unless he waives his NMC so they can take more time dealing him. The last place he would want to be is here for a rebuild.

2023-4 season could see Myers / Pearson at deadline so we don't retain a penny of salary

Boeser could wait until 2024 season too depending on his game and he would have only 1.5 years left at deadline

He could be moved if we take back a bad contract for a couple years rather then his 4 years remaining

Shoulda woulda coulda done this when Benning started his tenure, but Aqua didn't want it.

So, a re-tool then

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

You seem to figure that Miller is the biggest problem. An offensive forward who is actually producing. You must have him mistaken a defender. You ignore the fact that virtually every other forward is playing poorly. Also, I guess I need to remind you that OEL is a defenceman who is doing nothing in terms of defending or producing points. 

There's lots I don't like about Millers game and lots I do like.  My issue with Miller is his upcoming deal and paying a declining asset top player for that long as the young core takes over and needs that $.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

So, a re-tool then

Call it whatever you'd like, but shipping out $15 mil in salary and returning 3 high picks and 3 prospects is considerable change, and completely changes the dynamic of this club.

We aren't dealing Demko though.

Just now, MaxVerstappen33 said:

This culture stuff is mostly sporting cliches. Why is the Oilers a bit better now? Because they have Mcdavid. All it takes to fix the culture is winning. 

If you are grossly underperforming and have a great culture, you have a culture problem.

14 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

The Cap penalty for buying out OEL is not so bad if we have to go there….

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/oliver-ekman-larsson

So $2.4M for the next 8 years if we buy out OEL.

With the cap expected to rise considerably within the next 3 years, this is easily the best option moving forward. I thought the penalty would be considerably higher.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

before deadline 2023

Demko 1st and G prospect

Imo, you start with a Boeser hockey for (hopefully) a younger, top 5 dman.  Then you start working on a Miller deal, which will be tricky for sure, but has to be done by the tdl.  At the same time you can start putting out feelers for Pearson and Myers.  Then you get on the phone to NJ and start a conversation around Hughes, which will be a huge one and a big boost to the pivot/re-tool.

If you're able to move Miller, you do everything you can to keep Bo in the fold.  This is the tipping point.......if Bo comes back, it can be a quick turn around and you likely keep Demko.  If not, all bets are off and you definitely deal Demko before the tdl.

I'd say there won't be stockpiling of significant picks depending on whether Bo wants to stay or not, maybe an extra first, a second etc.  Most deals will have to be hockey trades, for cap reasons, but hopefully they can get some 21-23 year olds back and some veterans for support spots.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Imo, you start with a Boeser hockey for (hopefully) a younger, top 5 dman.  Then you start working on a Miller deal, which will be tricky for sure, but has to be done by the tdl.  At the same time you can start putting out feelers for Pearson and Myers.  Then you get on the phone to NJ and start a conversation around Hughes, which will be a huge one and a big boost to the pivot/re-tool.

If you're able to move Miller, you do everything you can to keep Bo in the fold.  This is the tipping point.......if Bo comes back, it can be a quick turn around and you likely keep Demko.  If not, all bets are off and you definitely deal Demko before the tdl.

I'd say there won't be stockpiling of significant picks depending on whether Bo wants to stay or not, maybe an extra first, a second etc.  Most deals will have to be hockey trades, for cap reasons, but hopefully they can get some 21-23 year olds back and some veterans for support spots.

Horvat vs Miller, who would give the better return?

13 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

This fanbase has been crying out for a proper bottom out rebuild since Mcdavids draft year. Other around the league have been mocking us for not doing a rebuild over the same period.

The fans demanded change last year. What does ownership do ? Switches out dim Jim Benning for dim Jim Rutherford. Ownership could not have found a GM more similar to the one they just fired. 

The demand for change in effect , went unanswered. And here we sit. 

Aqualini bent himself over big-time by pestering a retired JR at his home.

Of course JR's gonna say 'yes, I can fix your team, but it'll cost ya big'.

The first claim is proving wildly false, although to be fair, he is delivering admirably on his second promise.  

But of course, JR's gonna drag himself off his couch to be seen 'doin' stuff' on national TV at hockey's media Mecca.

Truth is, we're actually worse now, and will be for longer, under his opportunistic, idling ineptitude.

If privately, his secret solution was simply to wait out Bennings' bad contracts, then that's fraud on an epic scale.

Any of us on here could have done similar, without adding the 2 more certain play-off killer contracts of JT and Brock.

Makes ya wonder just exactly how much money Aqua's dishing out still for all the past hockey personnel now long left the org.

He surely can no longer afford to fire any anyone.  Hence the pressure on Bruce to resign.

If Fransesco can so easily have minted such a fortune in real estate, perhaps Benning could become Canada's own Trump.

• Cheers 2

Just now, stawns said:

I agree with so much of this. Really parallel the thoughts and possible directions. The only caveat I see is Boeser is not worth much with the contact attached to him. His value if traded would be in the cap space obtained so I'd be happy with a late pick or one year cap dumpin return. 

• There it is 1

5 minutes ago, Odd. said:

So $2.4M for the next 8 years if we buy out OEL.

With the cap expected to rise considerably within the next 3 years, this is easily the best option moving forward. I thought the penalty would be considerably higher.

I'd rather have a solid dman than pay $2.4m for him to be a solid dman somewhere else.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, rekker said:

I agree with so much of this. Really parallel the thoughts and possible directions. The only caveat I see is Boeser is not worth much with the contact attached to him. His value if traded would be in the cap space obtained so I'd be happy with a late pick or one year cap dumpin return. 

I've been vocal with my feelings about Boeser, but he's on a short deal and still puts up decent numbers.  I think they could get a #5ish dman in the same general salary range for Boes and that's a deal I would be ok with.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Mo Grit said:

Aqualini bent himself over big-time by pestering a retired JR at his home.

Of course JR's gonna say 'yes, I can fix your team, but it'll cost ya big'.

The first claim is proving wildly false, although to be fair, he is delivering admirably on his second promise.  

But of course, JR's gonna drag himself off his couch to be seen 'doin' stuff' on national TV at hockey's media Mecca.

Truth is, we're actually worse now, and will be for longer, under his opportunistic, idling ineptitude.

If privately, his secret solution was simply to wait out Bennings' bad contracts, then that's fraud on an epic scale.

Any of us on here could have done similar, without adding the 2 more certain play-off killer contracts of JT and Brock.

Makes ya wonder just exactly how much money Aqua's dishing out still for all the past hockey personnel now long left the org.

He surely can no longer afford to fire any anyone.  Hence the pressure on Bruce to resign.

If Fransesco can so easily have minted such a fortune in real estate, perhaps Benning could become Canada's own Trump.

I'm hard on this management group, mostly for their failure to see where the core is and signing Boeser and Miller, but they also made some good moves and brought in some pieces I'd like to see stay.  

• Upvote 1