The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] November 15 2022 - Vancouver Canucks @ Buffalo Sabres - 4:00pm PT/7:00pm ET - KeyBank Centre

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

2 hours ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

Fans have to stop concentrating on Bruce, there is no line up he has not tried either at the start of game or during it.

I see injuries to roster players is  going to used as an excuse soon.

Canucks start off with almost 164 man games lost this year thanks to Ferland and Poolman alone, Dermott can be good for another 40 or so by the looks of it. Then there are the 4th liners to throw in there, but that is an excuse and not relevant at all.

Buffalo started at the same time as the Canucks and neither team has won a cup, that is disgusting but if there is a team closer today Buffalo has to considered much, much closer. Two STUD defencemen and 13 players 26 and under.

Buffalo is fast, they are learning and it appears they are shedding their losing culture but they had to move many veterans and get lot of young guys on the roster, NHL calibre guys, star level. 

Buffalo will start off hot this game, Vancouver will start off desperate.

Buffalo has a 5 game losing streak going Vancouver a 3 game streak.

One team is ending their streak.

Vancouver is now 30th in the league they could be 32nd if the two teams below them win a game.

Game management will be or could be the deciding factor, logic would indicate that Vancouver should be the more tired team and get many more hooking and holding calls against them considering the speed difference but Game Management will keep it close.

Buffalo wins, fans call for Bruce's head not realizing or not caring that it is the team not the coach.

Hot players and hot lines are changed. 

Having Miller on the PK was an utter failure last year under Green. BB or more likely his assistants changed it. This year, they have reverted back to it.

Stillman is utter garbage so BB constantly plays him and even puts him on the PK. 

The above reasons are a huge part to us being dead last in the PK department.

Losing Shaw and Walker sunk the BB ship.

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

Jb had to keep the team together because sedin reasons. Sedins left ,have to keep team together for playoff revenue reasons      playoff revenue ? if that’s still the underlying reason/excuse. Then jr pa jb Gillis. Whomever it is doesn’t matter when there’s a stubborn Italian owner transfixed with a very very very VERY slim chance at revenue from a 2 home game playoff appearance. We’re hooped. 

If it was all about the money then why spend to the max. Spend on stuff that hasn't much to do with the product on the ice. Sure ownership could be simple fans who want a winner now. I don't think so but what do I know?  Since Rutherford has gotten here he has hired a huge front office. We'll see where that leads. 

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

As much as I agree it’s pretty obvious Bruce isn’t Rutherford’s choice as coach. More shit or get off the pot for Rutherford to move on and let Bruce go with dignity. 

He was. Aqualini said he consulted with JR before he hired him.

JR also said that he was going to hire a GM that he could mentor and work with. They did nothing in the offseason or the previous deadline. JR is an EGO and he is trying to protect the EGO.

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If it was all about the money then why spend to the max. Spend on stuff that hasn't much to do with the product on the ice. Sure ownership could be simple fans who want a winner now. I don't think so but what do I know?  Since Rutherford has gotten here he has hired a huge front office. We'll see where that leads. 

FA has consistently went against rebuild whilst spending to the cap in hopes of playoff appearances.  Nothing wrong with that  he should have held the riens a little tighter with the term of these Vetern contracts. Leaving little to no money left. And subsequently having to COMPROMISE  with cheap waiver pickups or cap dump players.  Peripheral players. 

Edited by chon derry
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I was just thinking. Is the Canucks problem for the past 8-9 years I hear the organization saying we want to be a "run and gun" type team. Now suddenly we want structure?

The team isn't built for structure is it? Honestly dump and chase isn't working. We need a puck possession team, with players backing each other up offensively and defensively.

Start with dumping the assistant coaches. Then start making trades. Go from there.

Dump and chase assistant coaches. Then trade owners. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Does anyone seriously think this is a coaching issue? I didn't hear much criticism of Boudreau last spring. Canucks have 1 d-man playing top 4 quality and he has d-zone issues. #6 isn't playing like a top six forward and yet he is on the 1PP. 2 Russians Mic and Koz are struggling. 2 trades: Stillman is a wash. Studnicka looks like a keeper and then gets hurt. Keep the 26 year olds and younger (except Boeser) and move the rest out. Blow it up. Decide the type of game you want to play and if BB doesn't want to coach that way let him go. I'd keep him. Strip it down!    

Normally a "wash" means "breakeven" or "draw or tie". The trade that brought Stillman to Vancouver is a long way from a "wash". It is a flat-out fail. The Canucks gave up a first round pick got a small amount of extra cap space (a million a year for two years) by including Dickinson in the deal and got Stillman, who was the worst regular D on a weak Chicago D unit last year. He is not as good as Burroughs and will certainly slot in behind Dermott on the left side when Dermott is healthy. And right now the Canucks could use Dickinson, who is a more valuable player than Stillman. (And, with Poolman on LTIR, the Canucks have room for Dickie under the cap)

I was positive until about JR and Allvin until late in the summer. Since then I have seen three things that concern me:

1. Re-signing Miller to another long term, bloated contract that will be significant negative value contract for most of its 7 year length.

2. Throwing away a second round pick for next to nothing.

3. Undercutting Boudreau.

I now think that Aquilini once again went looking for someone who would claim to be able to "retool on the fly" instead of doing a genuine rebuild,

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I see rumours about the Canucks looking at hiring Tocchett. To me that just shows even more that there is no plan.

There will be much better coaches available in the offseason. Hiring a coach now as a long term solution based on who’s available is not a winning strategy. Neither is simply hiring people you’ve worked with before.

I really hope they just ride it out with Bruce or promote Yeo as interim and really lean into the tank

Aquilini is the anti tank, he'll never let it happen. He likes to spend up to the cap. 

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

last meeting sabres were on a roll and hot...now they are not. then again we are in a slump so u can only hope we get it together and take a step towards that winning feeling again...

We are a team that allows other teams to end or continue a streak, or allows 2nd 3rd string goalies look like Vezina candidates, or players break milestones. 

2 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Normally a "wash" means "breakeven" or "draw or tie". The trade that brought Stillman to Vancouver is a long way from a "wash". It is a flat-out fail. The Canucks gave up a first round pick got a small amount of extra cap space (a million a year for two years) by including Dickinson in the deal and got Stillman, who was the worst regular D on a weak Chicago D unit last year. He is not as good as Burroughs and will certainly slot in behind Dermott on the left side when Dermott is healthy. And right now the Canucks could use Dickinson, who is a more valuable player than Stillman. (And, with Poolman on LTIR, the Canucks have room for Dickie under the cap)

I was positive until about JR and Allvin until late in the summer. Since then I have seen three things that concern me:

1. Re-signing Miller to another long term, bloated contract that will be significant negative value contract for most of its 7 year length.

2. Throwing away a second round pick for next to nothing.

3. Undercutting Boudreau.

I now think that Aquilini once again went looking for someone who would claim to be able to "retool on the fly" instead of doing a genuine rebuild,

I think they needed that little bit of cap to facilitate the bear acquisition. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Tochett is a solid coach, would certainly cure the effort issues we’re seeing. Not sure how Tochett being considered equates to no plan? 

You’re going for one of the few coaches that happen to be available.

Not really a solid plan, more of a reaction based on how the season started. If the Canucks had started out hot they would have had no plan to change coaches.

If someone like Berube becomes available he’s a far superior coach. So why wouldn’t you wait till the offseason to see who’s exactly available?

• Cheers 2